Send Topic Print
Not petc0ck? (Read 419 times)
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Not petc0ck?
08/19/21 at 22:46:53

Howdy y’all, just bought a 2012 boulevard s40 for my first bike  Grin and while I fell in love with her on the test drive, she is looking like quite a bit of a project after only a month…

Some background info: I live in western Washington, bike has 6,000 miles on it, and the previous owner ~said~ the bike tends to backfire quite a bit although he never experienced any other problems (liar?)

Anyways.. test drive was amazing. Couple loud, gunshot like backfires on the downshift, but I thought it sounded cool and would be fun to play around with as he said there weren’t any engine troubles despite the backfiring. However, once I took it home, I started to get more issues…

For example, the bike died on the road once when slowing down from 50 to turn off the highway, and once more when coming to a stop at a red light. (Also coming from going about 50). I figured I might have messed up shifting the first time, as I had no problem starting back up again. And the second time proved troublesome so I switched to reserve at which point she started and got me home (another 15 minutes on the freeway).

Over the next few weeks, I took her out twice to experience some heightened backfiring, sputtering, loss of power, and even a couple of shut offs while on the freeway. Some light research on the forum led me to believe the petc0ck was at fault. I pulled the vacuum hose to find it had ripped on the carb end… I thought I found my answer, but even after trimming it and retightening I was experiencing the same issues  :'( Next step, prime & cap. After setting to prime and capping/clamping the hose shut I could barely go around my neighborhood before the engine failed in a flurry of backfires.

At this point I’m stumped. I pulled the carb and cleaned (it didn’t look bad), replaced the spark ⚡️ Plug (showed lean), recharged the battery, ran it with the fuel cap off, everything I could think of and everything I could try from online. I’m at a loss.

In her current state, she runs fine cold, no backfires, no stuttering. But as soon as she warms up, I can’t even turn the throttle a quarter of the way before the engine cuts out and won’t start up again. I’m forced to wait ~10 minutes for her to cool down enough to start back up.  Undecided

Right now I’m looking to replace the vacuum hose entirely, maybe trimming it was a bad idea… any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sak

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Not petc0ck?
Reply #1 - 08/20/21 at 04:36:59

Smell your oil. If it smells like fuel, it’s the petcock.

Regarding the stalling while coming to a stop, I assume you had the clutch in. So the stalling wouldn’t be unusual if the petcock had failed, or if the idle is set too low.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/20/21 at 18:12:29

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/20/21 at 04:36:59:
Smell your oil. If it smells like fuel, it’s the petcock.

Yup, just ordered a raptor, thank you!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/21/21 at 07:31:04

Interesting thread title.

I detest those stupid vacuum petcocks.  Tongue

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/21/21 at 09:16:59

Sakitiat wrote on 08/19/21 at 22:46:53:
Couple loud, gunshot like backfires on the downshift, but I thought it sounded cool and would be fun to play around with as he said there weren’t any engine troubles despite the backfiring.

Can be an air leak in the exhaust.  Check with a candle around the header and muffler connections.
Quote:
For example, the bike died on the road once when slowing down from 50 to turn off the highway, and once more when coming to a stop at a red light. (Also coming from going about 50). I figured I might have messed up shifting the first time, as I had no problem starting back up again. And the second time proved troublesome so I switched to reserve at which point she started and got me home (another 15 minutes on the freeway).

Can be a low idle speed setting, adjust it up a little.
Quote:
Over the next few weeks, I took her out twice to experience some heightened backfiring, sputtering, loss of power, and even a couple of shut offs while on the freeway. Some light research on the forum led me to believe the petc0ck was at fault. I pulled the vacuum hose to find it had ripped on the carb end… I thought I found my answer, but even after trimming it and retightening I was experiencing the same issues  :'( Next step, prime & cap. After setting to prime and capping/clamping the hose shut I could barely go around my neighborhood before the engine failed in a flurry of backfires.

Most likely petcock and/or vacuum hose.  the petcock is 10 years old and that's when they go bad.
Quote:
In her current state, she runs fine cold, no backfires, no stuttering. But as soon as she warms up, I can’t even turn the throttle a quarter of the way before the engine cuts out and won’t start up again. I’m forced to wait ~10 minutes for her to cool down enough to start back up.  Undecided

Try not to run it too long at a standstill and put a block under the sidestand so it's nearly vertical.  Otherwise to starve half the cam for oil.  Sometimes a piece of 2x4 is good sometimes you need a little more.  You want it tall enough to minimize the lean, but not so much that the wind will blow it over.  You can use the block while you're checking the oil too.

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 08/21/21 at 11:45:23

Tighten battery cables, white spacer mod, rejet carb, raise idle speed.
I live north of you, solved all my problems from this forum.  Once pushed my bike home because of loose battery cable.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/24/21 at 22:23:13

verslagen1 wrote on 08/21/21 at 09:16:59:
Can be an air leak in the exhaust.  Check with a candle around the header and muffler connections.

Was waiting for the raptor to come in before starting up so I pulled off the exhaust to check for carbon buildup and the engine started leaking 🥲

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 08/25/21 at 15:26:24

Leaking what from where???

As gary said, it sounds like the classic petcock issue.  Start with that before you do anything else.  

The only things you should check at this point is your oil and air filter.  Sometimes these items will flooded with gas if the petcock fail and your float needle lets that fuel flood into your engine and airbox.

I would recommend NOT doing anything until you get the petcock.   The problem is once you start messing with stuff, you might not be able to narrow down your problem.  

Now is NOT the time to rejet the bike.
Now is NOT the time to clean the carb.

Replace the pectock and see if it fixes your porblem.

IP Logged
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/14/21 at 19:27:30

Ok, replaced the petcock. Still not starting… Looks like there’s something wrong with the spark plug

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #9 - 09/14/21 at 20:02:11

When I first bought my bike Motor ran fine trailered it home  then it spluttered and misfired on first try at home  then it died  All it was was a loose spark plug.

Hiko   IP Logged
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/16/21 at 17:40:26

Ok, turns out the new plug I got had a cap over the top… but even after taking it off I’m not getting a spark  Angry is it possible I messed something up in the boot trying to jam my capped plug in?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/16/21 at 17:47:33

Is the little rocker switch on the right handlebar control turned to the "RUN" position? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/16/21 at 19:35:53

Grin Yeah it’s turning over but not starting. Pulled out the spark & boot and tried to start it holding it next to the block but couldn’t see any spark. Tested the boot with a voltmeter and it seems to be ok

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 09/17/21 at 04:28:12

Try a different spark plug.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Sakitiat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/18/21 at 12:40:46

Ok, new ngk spark plug, still nothing. I’ve tested the coil from power to trigger for 4.6 kohms. Seems normal. Tested the boot through the coil for 23 kohms which idk a lot about but I guess it might be a little high. Then I put the plug in and tested the whole thing for 27 ohms.

Furthermore I pulled off the little black brick that the wires end up running to and it looks like there might have been a short/bad connection because it was a little blackened when I pulled the cap off. So I cleaned it up and reconnected but I’m still not getting a spark.

Not sure how to test this brick or even what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:19:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not petc0ck?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.