Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to bleed Suzuki Savage / Boulevard S40 brake (Read 43 times)
adri
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to bleed Suzuki Savage / Boulevard S40 brake
08/18/21 at 19:22:37

Hey guys, just wanted to contribute to the community here and to thank you guys for something.

First, my contribution.

It's a walkthrough on how to bleed the front brake on a Suzuki Boulevard S40 aka Suzuki Savage: https://youtu.be/PY3z5NxWM8A

For those who don't like YouTube I also have a written and illustrated walkthrough here: https://www.youmotorcycle.com/how-to-bleed-brakes-on-a-suzuki-boulevard-s40.html

Secondly, in my journeys around this forum I came across the excel file with ALL of the torque specifications for this bike. Just wanted to say thank you guys for that. All I have really found for the S40/Savage was the Clymer's manual online, and it doesn't really clearly list torque specs, so having the forum's excel file to look up values in was both really quick and very handy, thank you guys again.

I've bought this S40 to go over top to bottom, as it's been sitting for a few years, so I will have more how to guides in the future. Hopefully it helps some first time wrenchers out!

Ride safe all.

Adrian

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: How to bleed Suzuki Savage / Boulevard S40 bra
Reply #1 - 08/18/21 at 20:45:42

There are posts on this site about known errors in the Clymer book.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/18/21 at 22:44:06

With a true check valve you shouldn't have to close the bleeder, just pump.
And you don't need to pump 5x, the line is really short.
I just use a short line into a jar.  once the line is full of fluid and covers the bottom of the line you can just leave the bleeder open and let gravity do the work for you.  But a line with a check valve won't do that.  All you have to do is keep filling the reservoir.  If you get the small can of fluid, all you need is about half to get the job done.

And for those of you that are replacing the line, getting the fluid started can be really difficult.  When air gets into the check valve, it's hard to get started.  A vacuum bleeder will do the job.  Or you can cup the palm of your hand over the reservoir and push down to get the fluid started, it will take several tries.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 08/19/21 at 04:15:24

When filling a dry system I use a syringe and fill the system from the bottom. No bleeding required.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
adri
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/19/21 at 06:41:38

verslagen1 wrote on 08/18/21 at 22:44:06:
With a true check valve you shouldn't have to close the bleeder, just pump.
And you don't need to pump 5x, the line is really short.
I just use a short line into a jar.  once the line is full of fluid and covers the bottom of the line you can just leave the bleeder open and let gravity do the work for you.  But a line with a check valve won't do that.  All you have to do is keep filling the reservoir.  If you get the small can of fluid, all you need is about half to get the job done.

And for those of you that are replacing the line, getting the fluid started can be really difficult.  When air gets into the check valve, it's hard to get started.  A vacuum bleeder will do the job.  Or you can cup the palm of your hand over the reservoir and push down to get the fluid started, it will take several tries.

You're right, but I try to cater to the first time DIY'er... So I assume a lot of people watching will end up just getting a normal hose, and not understanding the difference, so I sometimes go a little overkill to be onthe safe side... and I mean, since we're talking about brakes, and people who might not have serviced them themselves before... probably not the worst thing in the world to stay on the side of caution.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:14:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to bleed Suzuki Savage / Boulevard S40 brake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.