Visited the RE Dealer (Read 359 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Visited the RE Dealer
07/27/21 at 22:07:21

I took a day off today and rode a 200 mile loop that included two bike shops that google thought were RE dealers.    

One of them is a RE dealer.  Decatur Al.  

So here is an interesting item I learned today . :    The new one called the " METEOR 350 " is claiming 101.25 mpg.    
also
Top Speed is rated for 4th gear not 5th gear @ 71mph (HP Rated @ 6.1k) , Seems kind of odd ?

NO , I don't think I could live with 71 mph top speed .   I had the day , and needed a ride !  

It sits a lot like a Savage , and is the same size too.  The World hasn't forgot the LS650 , its just been changed a little ! Wink

https://royalenfieldna.com/meteor350/

Royal-Enfield-Meteor-350__25mp.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Visited the RE Dealer
Reply #1 - 07/28/21 at 03:55:43

Finally - somebody that knows how to gear a motorcycle for comfortable cruising (although I am not sure a 350cc bike has enough power to warrant that kind of gearing) !  Fifth gear is for cruising along economically while you are trying to achieve that claimed 101.25 mpg, the engine just doesn't have enough grunt to push the wind out of the way when you are trying to reach terminal velocity.  Cars have had this kind of "overdrive" for years......high gear is designed for comfortable and efficient cruising (not top speed).

That Royal Enfield 350 would be a great bike if you lived in an urban area and needed a motorcycle for commuting - that is what it was designed for.  In the countries where it sells they are not riding on interstate highways - they are riding on city streets.

The countries that buy the most motorcycles don't buy big motorcycles - they use small bikes to commute everyday.  When Royal Enfield made the previous 350 and 500cc Bullet models - they sold 10 times as many 350cc bikes.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-ride-motorbikes.html

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1618399734/7

That is why the big Japanese companies don't make a big single cylinder street bike.....there just isn't a big enough market to sell enough of them to warrant designing and building them.  Same thing happens for a mid sized (500 - 900cc) sport touring bike - they just don't sell in big enough numbers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/05/21 at 04:57:52

Mike:

The local fellow who owns the Himalayan just traded it and a Stelvio in for a new V85.

His Royal Enfield Himalayan will likely be available at a good used price.  Moto Guzzi was offering a $750 discount if you traded in a 400cc or smaller motorcycle in on a new bike.  He traded in 2 bikes and got one that was smaller/lighter than his Stelvio.

I am checking to see for sure where he traded......you could come up here and take a test ride!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 08/05/21 at 09:06:08

I am checking to see for sure where he traded......you could come up here and take a test ride!

I'd like to ride one if I buy one or not !   Smiley

One of my Sons from being Scout Master is looking for a bike and he is favoring the idea of getting a Himalayan .   I wouldn't care if I lost a few $$$ on one to help him get a start on having a bike.   Matter of fact , I bought a new 100cc China dirt bike when Anders was 8 or 9 but Anders took a liking to the little 4 wheeler we had so we gave his buddy the little dirt bike.     Yea , they have ridden all over this place and would tell me about places on it that I've not even seen yet !   Grin

Hay Dave , ask you buddy how much trade-in he got for it ?   Huh

I think that little 1/2 bird's beak front finder would have to "GO" first thing !  Embarrassed

830-x-600-himalayan-black-abs-iii.png

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/05/21 at 14:00:26

MM:

I will send you a PM with some of the particulars.

The bike has 2,000 mile on it, it has about $1,500 worth of farkles that include hard aluminum bags.

The owner said the bike is in like new condition.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/06/21 at 04:45:26

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 08/06/21 at 12:03:33

Looks like a deal as is , but I would work them a little more on the price.
Just for fun !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 08/06/21 at 12:44:10

OK guys ,

Before I offer the W-650 to a stranger let me ask you fellers .

I'm thinking $3500 , is about right for a good running , nice looking W-650 w/less than 20k miles on it ... all the original equipment goes with it too.  A 650 twin with factory kick-starter/electric and center stand.  Cool

After removing the air box to get to the Carbs then I wasn't about to put it back on when those easy breathers off ebay are so easy.  Everything I've modified can be un-done back to original.
« Last Edit: 08/06/21 at 14:58:59 by MMRanch »  

W650_Aug21.jpg

zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 08/07/21 at 00:29:45

Geez.... you guys must live in nirvana. $3500 for a W650 wouldn't last 5 minutes on C-list up here, and I would be first in line!
The price difference between the Meteor and the RE650 up here is $1500...2000.  Some dealers play games with the 650, prices up and down like a toilet seat.
Saw a new '20 MG V7 for $6995, out of my league.
The '21 V7 850 puts it square in the high cost insurance bracket.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/14/21 at 04:16:42

Yesterday I was a few miles away from Cadre, and on the way home I stopped and looked at the Himalayan.  It is in "Like New" condition and has a lot of extras added.  It had Givi lower crash bars, an aluminum guard on both the left side oil cooler and the rear brake cylinder reservoir, it had a headlight guard, an aftermarket muffler and aluminum luggage.  The original owner told me he spent about $1,500 on the extra stuff.

I sat on the bike and the seat is low enough I could flat foot with both feet while in the saddle - however getting on the bike was a bit clumsy.  The rear seat is slightly higher than the front, and combined with the  the rear bags it makes swinging a leg over difficult.  I think this might be a bike where you need to put your foot on the left peg and stand up, then swing your leg over.....I did not try that as the bike was parked between other used bikes and I didn't want to get too adventurous.  It has a rear seat and passenger footpegs - I don't know if it would be comfortable for a passenger.  I noticed the rear rim had a little bit of a funny shape in one spot - I don' think it was damaged or bent.....I just think it might have been built that way and could be an example of Royal Enfield build quality.

I did not ride the bike as there was in impending rain storm.....and within 30 seconds of leaving the rain started and both me and my little Savage got drenched!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 08/14/21 at 13:51:09

Honestly...

1) I wish I was in a position to take that W650, but my wife and I sold our house, and are in the middle of move that will have us in apartment for the next 4 or more months.  Having the two extra project bikes in the garage isn't helping.

2) As much as I love the RE 650 twins, I would not buy a Himalayan for anything more than an occasional dirt road.  I would buy a used Honda or KTM or something with some true dirt heritage.

3) I think most of these "Adventure" bikes are no different than the Mall Crawler Range Rovers, Jeeps, and SUVs.  They appeal to some desire that most people will never actually scratch.  If you're not going camping or fishing in some inaccessible spots then you don't need it.

4) But if you just think it's cool, then more power to you!  haha

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 08/14/21 at 14:30:23

I've got a local collector guy who is delivering his Honda-305 Dream to some feller in Pennsylvania this weekend who wants to come next week and make a deal on the Kate.   If he shows up then I've got it sold for $3500.   He let me know his brother has one and his dad (86) did have one for years , so he's been wanting one too !  

I did find out the saddlebag mounts are only $99 on ebay , but I really doin't need bags ... I do like a 30L trunk to put gear into.  

I've got the Guzzi with 120L of luggage room if I need to go grocery shopping .  Grin

OhioMoto
Your right about not needing a full bore dirt bike.   I wouldn't take my Savage across the fields or into the woods on our place , but I would take a Himalayan if I had one.   We've got 160 acres and cows , and the ATV isn't fun to ride much.  
Really a Himalayan and the Guzzi V7II would about put the Savage into retirement, but I know I'll be OLD one day and want the Savage over the Guzzi , so I need to keep it.  
I've even had the thought that the 350 RE has a skid plate and would suit my needs just as well and look better doing it with tubeless tires too.   The RE350 might be a better "OLD MAN" bike than the Himalayan ?

!   Huh    I'm over an hour's ride to even get to the interstate .

We'll see if the local bike collector even shows up ?   Roll Eyes

I'm glad I have choices !  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/15/21 at 04:18:33

I agree that a lot of the "Adventure" bikes are too big and heavy to be ridden hard in the dirt for us mere mortals - they are however very good touring bikes that can be ridden on unimproved or crappy roads by most folks. And it is also likely that a large number of them never get off the pavement. They all tend to be a bit tall in the saddle for me - part of the side affect of having good ground clearance.  There are however some folks who can ride these heavy Monsters well in the dirt.  The first video doesn't look like fun to me - it looks like a lot of hard work and a lot of heavy lifting.....why in the world would you want to pay so much money to drop a motorcycle in the mud?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPG7L9i_9mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYp1zXyc0fA&t=14s

When MM, Stew and I are down in Suches, the majority of the folks doing the dual sport rides trailer in and are on 250cc motorcycles.  They have enough power to do the fun stuff and are lightweight.  There are a whole bunch of dirt and Forest Roads that are likely a lot of fun with the proper bike to explore them with.

For true dual spot adventures that include packing gear and include highway miles - the KLR650, DR650, V-Strom 650 and similar large dual sport bikes are used as they have more power for the highway work. The seat height is a bit tall for me on most of these bikes.

For some reason the mid sized 400cc dual sport market just seems to be a bit weak.....not sure why.   I would think it would be a good compromise and the bike could do highway work well, and it would not be horribly heavy.

I think the Royal Enfield Himalayan is a very capable dual sport bike.  Several folks have documented their travels on them, and they seem to be able to handle rough stuff well.  The highway speeds are not impressive and my friend that owned one said 60 mph was comfortable but higher speeds were not.  I think the 350 Meteor would not be great off road - low ground clearance, soft suspension and slippery tires are going to limit what it can do off the pavement.  

« Last Edit: 08/15/21 at 10:59:00 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 08/15/21 at 15:00:24

Hay Dave

That first video make me think of "Dudley"(from WildHogs) gets a dirtbike !    Grin

Why would anybody want such a monster machine to go off road with ???  Roll Eyes

Suzuki VanVan would make that ride look easy

I have no need for anything like those fellers are doing.  

At least one of those guys had no concept of "momentum being EVERTHING" when loose traction is encountered .

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 08/16/21 at 09:30:12

I think a 250cc dual sport would be a far better bike than the VanVan or Yamaha TW200.  Those fat chunky tires are really more of a novelty than they are a solution for any shortcoming from a good dual sport bike.

I need to look around and find a good test ride or comparison of the little chunky tire bikes.  If they were really a great bike - why are there so few of them around?  I have never seen one anywhere but on the showroom at the dealer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 04:12:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Visited the RE Dealer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.