Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike dies when it gets warm (Read 40 times)
Shipyard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike dies when it gets warm
07/26/21 at 19:39:04

Greetings - pulled my Sexy Savage out of storage from the last three seasons.  Cleaned and re-jetted the carb, slapped new rubber and a new battery in it and it fired straight up.

However, when I get around 10-15 minutes of city riding (35 MPH top, stop and go around the neighborhood) the bike will slowly die.  engine speed slows when i come to an idle, have to hold the throttle up to keep it going, but even this only works for a block or two until it completely stalls out and dies.  

If I let it sit and cool down for 20-30 minutes, it'll fire right back up.  

Battery is new, spark plug was changed out less than 500 miles ago - it's got me stumped that it's happening when it gets warmed up.  runs like a top when I get it going.  

any thoughts as to my problem?

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Re: Bike dies when it gets warm
Reply #1 - 07/26/21 at 19:47:17

Original petcock? Carburetor been cleaned? Vacuum issue? I had trouble with mine as well. It would run great around the block. But when you went to get after it. It fell on his face

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #2 - 07/26/21 at 19:49:55

I apologize, you rejetted it? Bigger smaller? Same exhaust.:Sounds like a fuel issue….Are you running a fuel filter.? Also you said you pulled it out of the shed, I hope it didn’t have fuel in it. Shocked Shocked

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Shipyard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/26/21 at 19:50:16

Theduderino wrote on 07/26/21 at 19:47:17:
Original petcock? Carburetor been cleaned? Vacuum issue? I had trouble with mine as well. It would run great around the block. But when you went to get after it. It fell on his face

what ended up being your solution?

Original petcock.  The carb bowl has gas in it when it starts and when it gets hot and shuts off.  

Carb was just cleaned and all jets replaced.

Had not considered a vacuum issue since it starts and runs out the gate - anyone know if this can be tested in when the issue happens?

IP Logged
Shipyard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/26/21 at 19:52:14

Theduderino wrote on 07/26/21 at 19:49:55:
I apologize, you rejetted it? Bigger smaller? Same exhaust.:Sounds like a fuel issue….Are you running a fuel filter.? Also you said you pulled it out of the shed, I hope it didn’t have fuel in it. Shocked Shocked

should have clarified - replaced jets not re-jetted.  same size jets.  not running a fuel filter.

was not stored with fuel in it.  I'm a doofus but not an idjit  Cheesy

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #5 - 07/26/21 at 19:52:41

This is after about four days of sitting without running in Louisiana and when I put that gas in there it was fresh noticed the two levels inside of the fuel filter?

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #6 - 07/26/21 at 19:54:27

Low Speed jet has something stuck in it. Did it do that before you rejetted it?

IP Logged
Shipyard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/26/21 at 19:58:54

Theduderino wrote on 07/26/21 at 19:54:27:
Low Speed jet has something stuck in it. Did it do that before you rejetted it?

yes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/26/21 at 20:32:41

Theduderino wrote on 07/26/21 at 19:52:41:
https://i.postimg.cc/JHqb83sQ/6-BC8118-B-8759-4-C2-A-BD0-D-BAF65945-FF05.jpgThis is after about four days of sitting without running in Louisiana and when I put that gas in there it was fresh noticed the two levels inside of the fuel filter?

Common occurrence for any one running a filter.
And the extra filter is unnecessary as there's a similar filter in the tank and another in the inlet to the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #9 - 07/26/21 at 21:09:41

My bad, the bike that I acquired had been sitting. I had to go the cheap route for now. Do you know what was in the bowl of my carburetor? As well as the line from the petcock to the carburetor ? That cheap plastic filter that’s in the tank. Which I’m sure originally it wasn’t crap however overtime as you well know they will deteriorate. The screen as well as the housing that holds the screen. I was just speaking about my situation.😇 But I followed the link that you had sent me a while ago. I’m trying to do Willys LOL!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 08:16:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike dies when it gets warm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.