Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike stopped at a red light, completely dead. (Read 82 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike stopped at a red light, completely dead.
07/25/21 at 17:01:44

Was waiting at a red light, all of a sudden the bike stopped and everything is dead, no headlight, not even brake lights. Must be a fuse, is there a quick reference for location?

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Bike stopped at a red light, completely dead.
Reply #1 - 07/25/21 at 20:25:36

Check all connections, i just had this problem and my ground screw wasn't tight on the battery

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 07/26/21 at 05:12:45

I agree, check the battery connectors. Also check the black connector from the battery to the wire harness. Also, batteries do fail. I’ve had the plates in a battery separate while cruising down the road, rendering the bike useless.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/26/21 at 08:34:31

Fuses are under the seat

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/26/21 at 09:18:51

Serowbot wrote on 07/26/21 at 08:34:31:
Fuses are under the seat

Right side of bike, just under the seat.......little white plastic box that would hold 3 Chiclets.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/21 at 14:40:20

So the fuses were fine, the starter was dead and most likely took out the rest of the systems with it. I had it replaced as well as the battery.

The guy noticed that my headlight is stuck at high beam, the switch or the flasher don't affect it, so he ordered a new switch and will replaced it.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/03/22 at 15:27:01

Guys, I never followed through with this thread, but the other battery thread has got me thinking. This is what happened, I had this bike since new when I bought it in the summer of 2016. I had almost immediately replaced the stock battery with a Yuasa AMG battery, and it has been working flawless for all these years.

So on the day when it died, I went for a ride, and everything seemed absolute normal. The bike cranked strong and started right away, and was running absolutely fine. All the electrical systems, headlights, turn signals, etc were working as designed.

I was only riding maybe 20-30 minutes for some errands, and then I was stopped at a red light, and the bike has completely died. It was running great one moment, and the next moment it stopped, and all systems were completely dead. Turning the ignition key did nothing - the headlight was off, no brake light, no crank, nothing.

I had it picked up and brought to a repair shop, and the first thing the guy did is test the battery and determine that it was completely discharged, and would not hold a charge. He replaced the battery, and right away all electrical systems came back alive, there were no blown fuses or anything, but the bike would no crank. He determined the started was dead and replaced it, and the bike started.

He tested it several times, bike seemed to start and run fine, but he said once when he turned the ignition key, the neutral light was very dim and the bike would not crank. Turned it off and back on, and everything was back to normal.

Then we discovered that my headlight was stuck on high beam, and front right turn signal wasn't working. Got a replacement (used) switch, and now everything is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could've happened? Could the AGM battery have suddenly died, causing a voltage spike that killed the starter and the switch? Or maybe a short within the switch caused the battery and started malfunction?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:23:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike stopped at a red light, completely dead.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.