Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4 (Read 274 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4
Reply #15 - 08/20/21 at 10:23:26

Best move?

Go get some Rotella
Dump the oil
Leave the filter, it's fine.

The dealership may actually believe they are giving you The Best advice and selling you The Best oil for your bike, but they probably have no clue about the design of the valvetrain and the requirements for keeping it alive.

You are here ,home of the accumulated knowledge and experience of some really long term riders and they don't pay anyone else to work on their bikes.

The dealership should be coming here to learn about the bikes they sell.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JED
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/13/21 at 15:38:37

I just read all the oil related posts I could find on this forum.   Just want to be clear the Rotella T4 and T6 are “diesel” oils and this is what’s appropriate for my Savage.  I understand the necessity for 1200 ZDDP.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 09/13/21 at 17:24:56

JED wrote on 09/13/21 at 15:38:37:
I just read all the oil related posts I could find on this forum.   Just want to be clear the Rotella T4 and T6 are “diesel” oils and this is what’s appropriate for my Savage.  I understand the necessity for 1200 ZDDP.

Thanks.

Rotella T is an HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil).  It is used in Diesel engines and also in gasoline engines.

The 15W-40 rating is common in diesel engines - but it is also fine in the Savage.  The 5W-40 is fine as well - but in most cases you will never be riding in cold enough weather that the "W" rating has any significance....that rating is at 32 degrees F or 0 celcius.

Rotella is a very good oil for the Savage....maybe even the best oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/14/21 at 08:48:58

So far, the engines with the what I call Exceptional High mileage, and I think a one lunger with fifty thousand miles is exceptional, have been running Rotella.. I'm sure there is at least one out there with a hundred thousand, hopefully the guys will chime in.
I don't know of any high mileage engines not running Rotella.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #19 - 09/14/21 at 09:43:21

Badwolf here, 130,000 + miles. T4 15-40 Dino all the way!
No oil or wear issues.
Only one disclaimer, I cruse and travel with my bike, and run both Kaw pulleys, so I seldom run the engine over 4k.
I can't vouch for running high revs or pushing power limits.
DBM would be that guy.

( Please let's NOT start another ''OIL WAR'' )

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 09/14/21 at 09:49:21

Did someone say

OIL WAR

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/14/21 at 10:34:44

DAVE. DID .  IT!!!

I know,, he was tiptoeing, he didn't want to start a war, but, fumble or not, the gauntlet was dropped.
Aaand being the responsible forum member I am, I left it alone,,
Coff Coff....

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #22 - 09/14/21 at 11:15:49

To join in, when I first owned my S40, I used Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic before I learned about the need for ZDDP here. I switched to the Rotella T4. I'm still using Rotella T4 in my Vision since it's JASO MA/MA2 rated and much cheaper than Victory oil is.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 09/15/21 at 03:26:39

I am not entirely sure I started an oil war..........but if I did it was to fire a shot over the bow and then retreat.

I used to participate in the costly practice of buying fancy oil - and some of them are really good oils.  When I first got my Savage I was running Brad Penn oil with a high level of ZDDP.  It was about $9 a quart and I had to drive for 30 minutes each way to the only place in Cincinnati that has it in stock.

I believe Rotella has everything that is needed to keep the engine healthy, it costs half what the fancy oils cost, and I can buy at any auto parts or big box store.

There really isn't any need to buy or use anything else if you have access to Rotella.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 09/15/21 at 06:17:00

Oh my goodness, another pesky oil war .......

Who is the questor for the "other side" of this here oil war since we just went and got the big boiling pot out of storage jest to greet them properly.

Suzuki Motorcycle has to (is required by gov mandate) it has to recommend oils that are safe for all their very most modern cat converter equipped bikes, Suzuki does this knowing durn well the Savage engine in question hails back to '86 design-wise and the Savage valve train on all years before 2010 likely requires the very largest ZDDP numbers that only exist in Rotella and the other HDEO oils.  

And if you count the cam chain itself as a separate failure point then all the years, they all all all require the 1200 ppm of ZDDP that comes only in the HDEO oils.

Suzuki also thinks it is OK to tell you to in essence to self-scrap out your engine way way early by giving you "the currently politically correct" oil recommendations.

OR, we can say we are having us a big 'ol crab boil with new potatoes and corn on the cob for everybody and leave off on the questor.

Wink     Justin, lacking a questor for your last comments means that it is BATH TIME for you again ........

« Last Edit: 09/16/21 at 14:42:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/15/21 at 10:54:58

Well, DAMMITALL!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 09/15/21 at 11:47:20

Crab, crayfish or lobster ........  they all rattle right frantically against the side of the pot when they first go into the hot water.

Some claim the lobsters occasionally shriek a weird high pitched whistle if you put them in slowly tail first but I've never heard them do that, personally.

I will attest that a big one that is still fresh from being "freezer killed" will still come up out of the pot right through a closed lid.

Justin, who was it that started this here oil war, again?

« Last Edit: 09/16/21 at 14:39:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/15/21 at 20:25:24

While perhaps not exactly a challenge for others, it's at least suggestive of a claim of superiority. I did say he did some tiptoeing,, but in my opinion,, even if accidentally, he dropped the gauntlet.
Understand we are approaching weather not so conducive to riding. I don't think it's a bad thing to start warming up to fill our time with other things.

Dave did it! Take his gold stars away!

IP Logged
Fabricio Bino

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Santa Catarina, Brazil
Reply #28 - 09/16/21 at 07:30:30

Just my 10 centavos brasileiros of opinion in the current oil war, but i just found out that in Brazil you can get YPS EXTRAVIDA XV100B diesel oil that says its got 1.4% of ZDDP. Like literally saying that, no zinc or zinc and phosphorus BS.

Why do I know this? because there is no Rotella in Brazil

95' 680cc Suzuki Savage "Tempestade"
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #29 - 09/16/21 at 11:31:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/14/21 at 08:48:58:
So far, the engines with the what I call Exceptional High mileage, and I think a one lunger with fifty thousand miles is exceptional, have been running Rotella.. I'm sure there is at least one out there with a hundred thousand, hopefully the guys will chime in.
I don't know of any high mileage engines not running Rotella.

I refuse to chime in with my ridiculous low mileage .. 219,000.
My other Savage only has 61,000.
Rotella T6.

Hoping to make 1/4 million miles on Thumper.  Plodding along...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 06:48:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.