Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4 (Read 274 times)
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4
07/24/21 at 14:34:53

So the PO had the oil changed with and unknown brand 10w40 just before I bought the bike. While I had it at the local Suzuki shop having the tires installed, I let them change it using the Red Line I provided. I read the oil thread and liked the idea of a "super oil" but know most opt for Rotella for understandable reasons.

I also went with RL hoping it would improve the occasional transmission binding when coming to a stop. Who knows, it might even improve the tranny's natural clunkiness a bit. Sadly, it didn't.

So, I thought I'd try what Suzuki originally filled it with and recommends. Had to search around a bit but found it here:

https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/suzuki-performance-4-oil...

Nice price but doesn't include UPS shipping. Still, it arrived in several days. I finally got around to changing it today.

Went on a short ride before the rain came: no binding. So far, so good. However, the issue usually only presented when fully warmed up and not sure I quite got there.

OILQT.jpg

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4
Reply #1 - 07/24/21 at 18:20:43

Are you downshifting gears in relation to your speed or are you waiting until you are stopped or really slowed down to shift from higher gear to lower gears? If you are waiting until you have slowed substantially or stopped to shift back down from 5th, it will sometimes not want to shift. But if you downshift in relation to speed, then I have never had a problem. That has been my experience with the S40.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 07/24/21 at 18:29:40

I don't fully downshift through every gear when coming up on a light or stop sign. The binding is very sporadic and happens at lower speeds. I'll see if this oil helps. If not, I may need to adapt my riding.

« Last Edit: 07/25/21 at 18:01:13 by SCS40 »  

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/25/21 at 10:39:13

Unless you can confirm the Suzuki oil has 1,000 ppm of ZDDP or more - I would not use it.  The Suzuki oil was not made specifically for the Savage, and it likely has a reduced ZDDP level as required in the Suzuki bikes that are fuel injected and have catalytic convertors.

The Savage engine has rocker arms that operate 2 valves each - it puts a lot of pressure on the cam and rocker wearing surfaces.  They cam and rockers will not survive if you don't provide enough ZDDP.

Rotella has more than 1,000 ppm of ZDDP and is an excellent oil in the Savage - you will never suffer an oil related failure if you use it, change it regularly, and keep your oil level topped up.

Wear related oil failures in the Savage come from using oil with too little ZDDP, or from running the engine low on oil......or by having the idle speed too low which results in no oil getting to the head while the engine is idling.  There is also cam/rocker damage that has likely been caused by allowing the engine to idle while leaned over on the side stand - the oil does not flow up to the left side rocker.....this kind of damage happens to those folks who like to start their bike in the winter and let it run for half an hour to charge the battery and run fresh fuel into the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 07/25/21 at 11:02:11

Does it feel as if the gears are binding when coming to a stop, or is it the shifting that feels harder?  You may want to check your shift linkages and make sure all is good there.  You can pull back the rubber boots on the joints and lube them and make sure the rods all look straight.  I know you said the problem is intermittent, but still maybe worth a look.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 07/25/21 at 17:56:31

Great tips all. When it binds, it will happen between 5/4, 4/3, and sometimes 3/2, but by then I'm nearly stopped, whether I planned to or not. I partly engage, then fully disengage to make the shift. The clutch was very "fast" and released just off the grip...and I do mean "just off." Adjusting didn't help much. About as much as the OEM oil. It still binds on occasion. I guess it's a combination of my riding style and the tranny design. Shocked

As for the oil, it's recommended by Suzuki and came filled with it, so I'm guessing it's okay to use.

On the other hand, they also designed the petcock and cam chain tensioner, so...

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/25/21 at 20:14:12

Rotella! Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/25/21 at 20:16:27

It may be your clutch throwout rod.
Check the lever against the case vs. the marks when you take up the slack in the clutch but don't disengage.
If you're close to the top mark you'll have less travel in the clutch vs. the lever.
Could also be a worn clutch basket.

Another thing might be the location of the shift arm next to the case.
If you're having trouble shifting down, move 1 spline over to shifting up.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/26/21 at 06:15:52

springman wrote on 07/25/21 at 20:14:12:
Rotella! Smiley

Suzuki oil tests as simple automotive spec'd low additive level oil.   It isn't what a Savage needs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #9 - 07/26/21 at 07:02:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/26/21 at 06:15:52:
springman wrote on 07/25/21 at 20:14:12:
Rotella! Smiley

Suzuki oil tests as simple automotive spec'd low additive level oil. It isn't what a Savage needs.

Based on the petcock and cam chain tensioner, I'm really not surprised about the oil. The local Cycle Gear carries Red Line, so that's an option, as is Rotella.

Sounds like I'll have to do more adjustments to sort out the binding. Great tips all and thanks tons!

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/26/21 at 09:24:57

I am pretty sure everyone in the 100,000 mile club uses Rotella...likely the same in the 50,000 mile club.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1391195461

I am not sure you can get a better recommendation than that! Smiley

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TRLREDY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/19/21 at 19:22:20

100K?  That's impressive!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/20/21 at 06:43:22

Why would anyone use any other oil than one that has such a proven record?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/20/21 at 09:11:55

Justin, a newbie thinks that because it is a Suzuki oil and that Suzuki recommends it it must fit all Suzuki motorcycles.   Not so, young padawan ......

Many modern Suzuki bikes have small cat converters as part of their manifold system.   So Suzuki oil was neutered to remove the 1,000 plus ppm of ZDDP that the 1984 designed Suzuki Savage REQUIRED for a decent service life just so oxygen sensors and cat converters on the modern Suzuki bikes would last for a few years.

You, young padawan, are riding a single cylinder1984 designed antique bike that requires the use of a modern diesel oil to get most of the additive goodies it requires.  

Rotella is the best of this lot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 08/20/21 at 09:32:00

50k miles using Rotella dino since 4k and it runs as good as when I bought it.  It's a 97' bought in 06' with 3500 miles.
You can pay more, but you can't get better.
If you change oil at 3 or 4k miles... I think even Rotella synth is a waste. The extra viscosity just allows it to pump out faster at speeds above 70mph.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:00:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › First Oil Change w/Suzuki Performance 4

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.