Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
one cylinder only fires sporadically (Read 90 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
one cylinder only fires sporadically
07/23/21 at 22:12:25

I'm hoping one of you guys can give me an idea of where to start. My 97 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 went weird today and stranded me at work. One of the cylinders is only firing sporadically, the other seems to be firing just fine. When stopped at stop light and firing on only one cylinder I could see gasoline dripping down on the left by the kick stand. My nose told me to look. So I am making the assumption that the fuel pump is working just fine based on the above info. I do not yet know for sure but suspect that there are 2 different fuel lines feeding the 2 carbs and maybe one is loose. If that is not the case would something being wrong with one of the carbs cause the fuel that is being fed by the pump to just leak out? Any other ideas? Thanks guys, I know this is the Suzuki Savage forum but some of you guys just seem to have extensive motorcycle mechanics knowledge.  

I left the bike at work and it was hot when I left it so have no had a chance to look at any of it including the possibility (maybe) of faulty plug or plug wire. Any help is greatly appreciated.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: one cylinder only fires sporadically
Reply #1 - 07/24/21 at 05:15:22

Hi Springman   Smiley

Hay , a new set of fuel lines and a new pair of plugs is not a "High Dollar" thing to do and might solve the problem ?  

A fuel line where it rubs (touches) against something might have a "hole" wore in it ?   Even if its only a weak place in the fuel line , it would be a good starting place to "Find out where that gas is coming from".   Undecided

You said it has Carb's ?

If the fuel is coming out the back of the carb or the over-flow pipe either one - then it's a float issue.   I think its REALLY STUPID to put more than ONE CARB on anything with less than 5 cylinders  - on a four cycle engine can't but one at a time suck on it at a time anyway  (rant  Roll Eyes) !  

There were some of the Suzuki "V-twins" that have one of the carbs mounted at a 90 deg. angle to gravity ... I'd hate to be the guy who has to fiddle with one of them !   Grin

Some of the needle valve have a little screen to keep trash out of the valve and seat junction .    If that screen stops up then the fuel can't get through, and the cylinder sputters .    The EASY-WAY to check it is to loosen the drain screw at the bottom of the bowl and see if a good flow of fuel is running through the carb its self ... now the bowl might be full to begin with -  Undecided - so get a can to catch a pint of fuel and let it run for a bit when the pump starts.   If more than 3-4 bowls full of fuel runs through it without  stopping to "catch-up" then the needle is clear , if not then that little screen has trash in it and needs cleaning and a filter above it.  
The easy way to clean the screen is to disconnect the hose from feeding the carb , then give a shot of compressed air to the over-flow hose coming off the bottom of the bowl.   Air will blow out the fuel inlet pipe with the trash !   Wink
I hope that makes sense ?   Roll Eyes

Let us know when ya find where the gas is coming from !   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/24/21 at 18:14:53

Thanks MM. I had a chance to go a take a look at the bike today and after taking the side covers off I cranked it and saw that the gas is shooting out of an over flow hose which to me would indicate something wrong with one of the carbs and like you said probably a float issue. I am going to read up a bit more on it and see if I need to buy any parts and probably try to get it running next Saturday. Thanks for the help.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 07/24/21 at 20:18:44

Springman

I hope I didn't confuse the problem earlier ?

1.   remove fuel line from over-flowing carb
2.   loosen drain screw at bottom of carb
3.   now , you have a strait flow from the over-flow hose to the fuel inlet connector.  right through the trashed up needle valve/seat.
4.   a shot of compressed air in from the bottom will blow the trash out of the fuel inlet connector.   Wink
5.   you can take it all apart if ya want , and ya might have too - but try it the easy way first !  Smiley
ya might be able to clear the trash with a good burst of air from your lungs , watch what comes out the fuel inlet connector while ya give it a quick puff ?  Huh

Doin't forget the fuel filter in the line when ya hook it back up .  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/25/21 at 20:11:30

Thanks MM. I think I understand and will probably try that first. I was thinking of pulling the carbs and going thru them but then would need to buy or make a carb calibration tool. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 07/26/21 at 12:14:51

Gotta say, the title of the thread gave me a chuckle.
But sorry you're having trouble with a 2-banger.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/26/21 at 15:40:20

Cool

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/31/21 at 15:30:47

MM you are a genius. Thanks. Did exactly as you said and it appears to be working properly now.  I came here to my office where the Honda has been all week on the Savage. I'll ride the Savage back home and get the Honda one of these days when I can ride in to work with my wife.  Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/31/21 at 19:54:39

Cool

Hay Springman , don't forget the filter to protect the needle valve ... There is more trash where that first bit came from ...  Wink

I'm REALLY GLAD it worked out for ya !   Smiley

Your wife seems like such a nice gal !

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/31/21 at 19:59:59

I wish I could join you guys. I have jury duty this Tuesday, we'll see what happens then.

My wife is a nice gal. Too bad she really does not care for motorcycles.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/31/21 at 20:45:25

Springman, I remember cleaning your jets at 1 ride.  I used a welding tip cleaner.  They're pretty cheap.  You ought to pick up one.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/01/21 at 19:15:57

Thanks for the tip Versey. It was actually Art's bike that you cleaned the jets on. I remember watching.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 06:57:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › one cylinder only fires sporadically

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.