Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternate Recording for Audiophiles (Read 57 times)
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Alternate Recording for Audiophiles
07/21/21 at 08:53:36

While the GoPro is great for capturing video, the internal mics basically suck, especially when sealed up in the waterproof box. A good example of "give and take."

I searched around quite a bit on YouTube for alternate recording methods for audio and already considered using my iPhone. I found an interesting video yesterday and was eager to try the suggested app.

My biggest issue, of course, was wind noise. In my previous vids, I had to cut the volume to make it bearable...even WITH music.

So, I gave it a try on the morning commute and am pretty impressed. I simply put the phone in the map pocket of my tank bag. The mic is sensitive enough to record decent audio and the wind noise is gone.

However, it also picks up something "jingling" in the tank bag, and even the noisy belt guard. More "give and take."

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Re: Alternate Recording for Audiophiles
Reply #1 - 07/21/21 at 08:57:47

Take a listen to the raw file and lemme know your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/toddowenby/suzuki-boulevard-s40-with-harley-dyna-muffler

Updated link and clip. Did a little trimming and EQ in Audacity.  Cool

« Last Edit: 07/21/21 at 20:45:11 by SCS40 »  

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/22/21 at 15:52:04

Pros use something called a "dead cat".  It's a furry wind sock that muffles wind without blocking sound.
Try sticking an external mic in a small dollar store stuffed toy.

(PS... don't Google dead cat... it gets ugly) Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 07/23/21 at 10:45:40

I like the dead cat drone , still lmfao !

That’s just great Bot , now I want my Amazon packages delivered by a dead cat drone

I can already hear my neighbors

My apologies for the high jacking

Not

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/25/21 at 09:43:59

I use an external mic, a cheap lapel mic that can be bought on Amazon for under $20.  Location is important, up front it will pick up a lot of valve noise so I keep the mic behind me to shelter it from the wind and to pick up the exhaust sound.  I clip it to the back belt loop on my jeans and run the wire up over my shoulder and then put my riding jacket on over it so the wire isn't flopping around in the wind.  Then I run the wire out of the front collar area of the jacket and plug it into the camera.  The jacket also covers the mic and wind noise is no problem.

Some GoPro models require a special adapter for an external mic.  I prefer cameras that have a USB port for the mic, that keeps everything simple and inexpensive.  

As you know video eats up memory so I set the camera for 30 frames instead of 60 and that cuts file size in half and I don't think the difference is noticeable.  I use a resolution of 1080, no 4K stuff for the same reason, large files take forever to edit.  It took me most of one riding season to work out my preferences for videos so I think you are progressing very nicely.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 07/25/21 at 18:13:49

engineer wrote on 07/25/21 at 09:43:59:
I use an external mic, a cheap lapel mic that can be bought on Amazon for under $20.  Location is important, up front it will pick up a lot of valve noise so I keep the mic behind me to shelter it from the wind and to pick up the exhaust sound.  I clip it to the back belt loop on my jeans and run the wire up over my shoulder and then put my riding jacket on over it so the wire isn't flopping around in the wind.  Then I run the wire out of the front collar area of the jacket and plug it into the camera.  The jacket also covers the mic and wind noise is no problem.

Some GoPro models require a special adapter for an external mic.  I prefer cameras that have a USB port for the mic, that keeps everything simple and inexpensive.  

As you know video eats up memory so I set the camera for 30 frames instead of 60 and that cuts file size in half and I don't think the difference is noticeable.  I use a resolution of 1080, no 4K stuff for the same reason, large files take forever to edit.  It took me most of one riding season to work out my preferences for videos so I think you are progressing very nicely.

Great tips and I considered some. Sadly my cam (GP3+) is one that requires an adapter, and a special case if used. I'd do the lapel mic thing but I'd have more in the additional equipment than I have in the camera.

Since the internal mics are sealed in the case, I think it's picking up buffeting around the windscreen, etc. It's definitely a "thin" sound compared to the iPhone recording...which you can almost feel.

Alas, the easy answer for me is to simply use the internal mics sealed in the case. Syncing and editing a separate track is pretty laborious. If I upgrade, lapel mic FTW.

Sidebar: Another reason to use the internal mics (or lapel mic, etc.) opposed to an external digital recorder: file size. While YouTube took the file no problem, the result of adding the WAV file pushed it slightly over the limit for IGTV. I'll have to remove the file if I wanna post there.  Undecided

« Last Edit: 07/26/21 at 05:27:05 by SCS40 »  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 13:35:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Alternate Recording for Audiophiles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.