Speedometer error (Read 91 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Speedometer error
07/17/21 at 19:22:47

I decided to do something about the speedometer on the LS650 .  

We all know from the factory they all read a little "Optimistic"  Sad

Then we put a 90 series tires that makes them almost right ?   Smiley

Then we get used to the power curve and want taller gearing .   Tongue

Then the speedometer is not even close any more !  Angry

I've had three speedometer on my LS so far.    When I used the bigger fuel tank I got #2 and all was well ... till it quit working .

Along came #3 that was really make for a Honda Rebel 250.   It still works , but the sun messed up my home pain job so I went back to the original fuel tank and speedometer.

Well , I'm in the process of putting a #4 speedometer on now.   This time I got a GPS Speedometer .     Hopefully it will work ?   I should know after another shop (rain) day .

I'm thinking of a coat of plastic sticking paint on the whole thing to help  blend it together .   Its got a red LED back-light.   The Green LED neutral will be below the left blinker light , there is a hole in the white plastic lamp holder from the back side.

GPS_Speedometer.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Speedometer error
Reply #1 - 07/17/21 at 19:45:16

It seems odd that 40 mph is half-way across the dial ... but I don't go over 80 mph anymore so its OK !  Wink

For the same $$ I could have got 120 mph or even 200 mph ,

but

this one might  help me keep down to the speed limit a little easier ???  Roll Eyes     I know all you "Law Abiding" citizens will think that's a good idea

I suspect I've been running 65 in the 55 regularly .   The odometer should be right on this one too !   Smiley  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 07/17/21 at 20:49:38

80 mph gives you a lot of room tween' the numbers, a good thing when you are just glancing at it. Be prepared for it to lose the satilites under a bridge, or overpass. I have noticed they have a hard time in the mountains, with all the rocks and trees. So The Dragon will have you going by feel!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 07/19/21 at 18:54:50

Took a ride on the LS today with the new speedometer .    Every thing was good except the "COG"  didn't roll-up the millage .  ???

The speed part (SOG-speed over ground) worked like it should , (with the 16 tire and F/pully it will do 80mph in 3rd !)

I'm not happy with not having an odometer .   So , it may be changing to a different unit.   I put the GPS Receiver on top the front brake reservoir.  

Yea , its in Neutral with the light on .

1stGPSspeedo.jpg

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 07/19/21 at 19:10:59

Go with a speedhut, About $300. but they work!

https://www.speedhut.com/

You can get a bunch of different sizes, color lights, speed ranges, and options. But just round, you will have to make, or adapt a housing or mount.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 07/19/21 at 22:23:29

I just ordered a second one off ebay that is "MILES" not "COG" ,

After reading and learning a bit ,  The "COG" has something to do with direction .    I did notice the read-out ran between 0 and 360 , just like a compass !   My bad , I should have spent some time learning before getting the first one .
Maybe I'll put it on the ATV ?  

Live and Learn !   Roll Eyes      I got a chrome ring on the second one !  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/20/21 at 03:17:15

I have been using a GPS speedo on my Cafe' bike for the last 12,000 miles or so.  It works well in most areas - there are a few places we ride that has deep valleys and tall mountains, and sometimes it takes a while for the GPS to find a satellite signal.

I did not hook up the wire that keeps the GPS energized when the key is turned off - as this bike sits for 5 months over the winter and I didn't want the Lithium battery having any power drained off over the winter.  Therefore the GPS has to find the satellites every time you turn the bike on.  At Deals Gap and the Kickstand Lodge I can ride 3-4 miles before the speedometer starts to work.  (In hindsight I should have attached that wire with a connector or switch so I could have disabled that wire in the winter months).

It is nice having a GPS speedometer as you can change tires and gearing and not affect the accuracy of the speedometer.  I also have the options of seeing what time it is, what my elevation is, a trip odometer, a 0-60mph timer, a 1/4 mile timer and I also have a tachometer.  I generally leave the display on the trip odometer so I know when to stop for fuel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 07/20/21 at 07:07:05

Did ya find a better place to mount the antenna than the top of the F/brake  master cylinder ?   Huh

I saw a lot of GPS speedometers (at least 400) over the last two days , there are so many options !  
Heck , some of them have built in Tachometers and up to 8 different color background lights  ...

I keep a Garmin mounted in the center of the handlebars in that rain resistant mount and it has most of the options made into it except for the Odometer .   It does have a trip set , all the averages , max speed , time of day , direction of travel , etc.
So
My main idea is to get an Accurate total miles Odometer , and it needs to look good too !    Wink

Most common size on from Asia seems to be  84mm and the original is more like 88mm so they are not a direct replacement .    I saw some that are 54mm too.   It not a big problem to go from 88 to 84 hole size , a hot glue gun shoots moldable plastic any time ya want !    From the back side "ya never would know !"   Grin

These motorcycles are a little like children ... they always need something !  

Thanks for the input Carl .   I have to keep a close watch on the $$$ , going out --- best "Bang for the buck" ya might say.    Roll Eyes    
Where did you mount the GPS receiver ?

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 07/20/21 at 09:09:24

Mike, Mounted mine on top of the box I built for it.

Made a flip-up lid for the recess in the tank for sort-of a glove box.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 07/20/21 at 21:01:12

Hay , is that 103,000 miles on that speedometer ?     How many did the original speedometer have ?

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #10 - 07/21/21 at 05:08:25

Yes that is 103k. That is from last year, I'm up to 130k now. With the Speedhut gps units you set the mileage to match when you install them. So if you wanted to you could set them to whatever mileage you wanted to show.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:40:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speedometer error

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.