Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows 11 ---- why Microsoft is doing this (Read 156 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Windows 11 ---- why Microsoft is doing this
07/08/21 at 12:52:28

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3623772/the-real-reason-for-windows-11....

The real reason for Windows 11

It's all about security, and it's going to be a costly upgrade — because most of us will need to buy new PCs to make it work.

I've been puzzling over the "why" of Windows 11 for a while now. I'm not the only one. As Computerworld’s Preston Gralla wrote, the Windows 11 release news "was often flat-out wrong or misleading. It may well have been the most botched product announcement in Microsoft’s long history."

Amen, brother! I've covered every Windows launch since Windows 95 rolled out in Atlanta and nothing else comes close. And, yes, I'm counting 95's Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates dance routine.

So, why is Microsoft releasing this? And why now? Clearly, it's been done in a hurry. Even a month ago, no one outside of Microsoft saw Windows 11 coming. Microsoft had made it clear that it sees the future of the desktop on the Azure cloud with Microsoft Cloud PC.

It's not money. Windows 11 will be a "free" upgrade for current Windows 10 users. And it sure isn't the "Eh" updated interface or new features. I mean, being able to run Android apps on Windows is nice, but the reason for a whole new release? I don't think so.

So, what's really going on? After taking a deep dive into what Microsoft is saying and the current, "If it's Tuesday, there must be a new security disaster" world, I think what Windows 11 is really all about is security.

Even as I write this, there's another major Windows zero-day popping up — and it’s nasty. PrintNightmare. Yes, your machine can be taken over via an attack on your Windows printer spooler.

Of course, security isn't sexy. It also means tacitly admitting that Windows 10 is just as much a security mess as ever. But it's not all Microsoft's fault. Intel's security is a mess, as well. Remember the nasty Meltdown and Spectre security bugs. They're still around, and we're still dealing with their fallout. Put them together in WinTel, and we have a real mess.

The answer? Microsoft, after confusing everyone about what hardware Windows 11 will or won't run on, finally revealed what's what. And, along the way it pulled back the curtain on why it’s doing this. And the answer is, indeed, security.

Windows 11 raises the bar for security by requiring hardware that can enable protections like Windows Hello, Device Encryption, virtualization-based security (VBS), hypervisor-protected code integrity (HVCI), and Secure Boot. These features in  combination have been shown to reduce malware by 60% on tested devices. That’s why all Windows 11-supported CPUs have an embedded TPM, support secure boot, and support VBS and specific VBS capabilities.

What does that mean for us? Bad news. Most of us aren't going to "upgrade" our Windows 10 systems. Instead, we're going to buy new PCs.

Specifically, Microsoft says it’s "confident that devices running on Intel 8th-generation processors and AMD Zen 2 as well as Qualcomm 7 and 8 Series will meet our principles around security and reliability and minimum system requirements for Windows 11. As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles."

Note: It didn't guarantee Windows 11 would run on, say, Intel Coffee Lake CPUs. There's a big difference between a guarantee and mere confidence.

As for 7th-generation chips such as the Kaby Lake processors, we're still in the dark. (I honestly can't see them working well, truth be told.)

Microsoft has also finally made it clear that your PC must have Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 silicon inside — and your computer's firmware must also be set so that it's active. TPM 2.0 is used to generate and protect encryption keys, user credentials, and other sensitive data so malware and attackers can’t access or tamper with your data.

It's a good thing you can simply check to see whether your existing fleet of PCs can run Windows 11 with the PC Health Check app, right?

Wrong. Microsoft confesses that while "the PC Health Check app was intended to help people check if their current Windows 10 PC could upgrade to Windows 11…, it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn’t meet upgrade requirements. [So] we are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall."

Come on, now. Clearly there was no beta-testing of Windows 11 worth the name inside Microsoft. Windows 11 is being pushed out the door as fast as possible, with Microsoft broadly hinting Windows 11 will be released on Oct. 20 and you can expect to see new Windows 11 PCs in 2021's fourth quarter.

Right. What fortuitous timing.

Yes, Windows and your business both need better security. But the more I look at this, the more I see an operating system being rushed out the door that's very likely to foul up frequently and will require you to buy expensive new equipment.

Let's get real. Windows 11 will not be ready for ordinary businesses or people to run this winter. I'll be running it — on a brand-new PC with the latest hardware — because that's what I do. But you and yourbusiness? Stick with Windows 10 for now. Frankly, get ready to stick with Windows 10 until 2023. By January 2023, Windows 11 may be ready for business. Late 2021? Late 2022? I don’t see it.

WHAT THIS ALL MEANS .......

Stay on Windows 10 unless you want to buy a new machine again.

Don't buy a new one now, because MS isn't done working up their TPM module and assorted softwares completely yet (TPM as a process is not even working right totally at this time)

Think of the TPM module as an AI module for running security checks and doing mitigations constantly all the time, but doing it very very very fast.

Intel processors have lots of security holes and issues.   Microsoft Software has more issues of its very own.   Applying the current web of patches is constantly changing now, and requires some serious AI speeded up hardware to make it all work.   Right now your machine is 25% slower than it used to be, and this will INCREASE over time.

We see MS abruptly adopting large chunks of Linux code and entire Android app family clusters simply to get some functional software that isn't corrupted by the cadaver bugs that come in right along with the MS approved, Intel certified software that is failing on us right and left.

You wonder why Google built Fuchsia as a third operating system?   This is why.   Written off a different code base completely, when MS and Linux go down Google wants a third string to their bow, so Google built one in a timely fashion to have it ready for when the rubber hits the road.

Is China and Russia and cyber-war activity all part of this issue?    Yes, afraid so.   Your favorite old MS operating systems are under strong attack, as well as your traditional Linux systems.

So far OPEN SOURCE has been able to stay somewhat ahead of the curve, but the slow down costs for mitigations are building up.   I notice Linux is slowing down more and more now, but not nearly as bad as on MS products.

===================================================

I look to see an AI equipped drop in slot based card being created and built to do this security mess of band-aids and constant fast checks far far faster than your motherboard hardware can do it, the slot card allowing older Wintel hardware a lengthened life span but still running at slower speeds compared to the brand new whole machines that are coming out.

I run an Optiplex 780 that is over 10 years old, this is an old workstation box running an antique Intel dual core processor.   With the current mitigations, I am already quite slow compared to modern equipment.

I need not apply for any of these MS fixes as they will only work for more modern processors and motherboards.

Still, my old box outperformed my wife's work computers that she had at school.   Linux makes that much of a difference in performance speeds.

Wink

« Last Edit: 07/08/21 at 17:24:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Windows 11 ---- why Microsoft is doing this
Reply #1 - 07/08/21 at 13:40:39

Microsoft is also squaring you away to force you to sign up for a "security" maintenance gig at a yearly subscription charge.

The current Win 11 freebee customers are actually doing a group beta testing of the whole shebang for MS at the moment, this is a partial explanation of why it is so very buggy and relatively poorly coded.  

Microsoft is considering a 7 layered approach to try to shake some of its current collywobbles.   This is worth taking a look if you are considering going the MS pathway .......

I think MM took a better path with his new Chromebook as Google is better software right now, actually.

https://liliputing.com/2021/07/microsoft-may-offer-7-different-versions-of-wi...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 07/08/21 at 15:13:16

I think MM took a better path with his new Chromebook as Google is better software right now, actually.  

Well thank you OldFeller , I accidently did something right !  Grin

Really I got the 11.6" ACER Chromebook Spin 311 touch-screen travel size to take on trips.   It is "Crazy Fast" ! Cool

My main Dell windows 10 laptop has a T-bite and is 15.?"  w/CORE i5 intel processor.    Is that good ?   I just replaced the original battery this past week with a more powerful ebay replacement battery.  The old battery quit holding a charge ...
If I get offered the Windows 11 offer ... should I take it ??  Undecided

I may not know squat about computers but I know someone who does !  Wink

Hay , how's you health  ?     Just holding steady or are ya getting improvement ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/08/21 at 16:35:08

Do not buy an "upgrade" to Windows 11 right now because you have no idea if it will work or not with your hardware that you own right now.    MS does not know either, they haven't finished Win 11 yet so how can they know?

Stick with your Google based Chromebook, it is the more stable platform right now.

My health is in a steady slow decline called "advanced diabetes".    No point dancing around it, it is a don't get over it disease, just gets more complicated and debilitating over time.

« Last Edit: 07/08/21 at 22:38:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 07/08/21 at 21:09:59

I've got the best package that Avast offers.   I started to get the package from Norton/Life-Lock but that $10.00 a month thing is a myth.  

But yea , I'll be Ok with $120.00/year for protecting all my devices.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/09/21 at 16:48:13

https://liliputing.com/2021/07/google-is-making-it-easier-to-turn-any-laptop-...

In MS's weltering churn of "upgrade confusion", broken MS tech and pure money greed, Google now offers to turn your old MS notebook into a Chromebook using just 3 clicks (for free).

And, when your old MS stuff starts to stop working, this might be a good thing for those who cannot handle Linux.

AND YES, MS is getting ready to make you buy another computer yet again.

But I am here to tell you that letting MS endlessly pick your wallet clean IS NOT NECESSARY.    You got Linux Mint Mate and you got Cloud Ready, so what is your excuse for continuing to pay a MS tax on the hardware that you already own ???

Chromebooks come with Google’s Chrome OS software pre-installed. But Google also maintains an open source version called Chromium OS that can theoretically be installed on just about any PC or Mac. The only catch is that it historically hasn’t been all that easy for casual computer users to install. But that’s about to change.

Last year Google acquired Neverware, the company behind CloudReady, a Chromium OS-based operating system designed to be easy to install on any PC, effectively letting you turn an old laptop into a Chromebook. Now Google is incorporating the CloudReady installer into Chromium OS, which will make it easier to install the open source operating system.

Once new versions of Chromium OS with the new installer are available, you won’t need to dive into a command line utility to do it. You should be able to boot Chromium OS from a USB flash drive and click an install button to open the CloudReady Installer with a graphical user interface.

In other words, installing Chromium OS should be just about as simple as installing a GNU/Linux distribution like Ubuntu, Fedora, or Linux Mint.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/09/21 at 19:54:25

Some perspective .......

MS does upgrades periodically.

The MS upgrades are complex, take over an hour to do and are relatively opaque as to what is going on and these MS OS upgrades can cost you additional upgrade hardware dollars and software upgrade dollars, with some of the software charges coming after the fact (first 60-90 days free or words to that effect).

Some of your older stuff won't work when you are done "updating it", count on it.

IN CONTRAST     Linux Mint Mate does a twice a year upgrade with a replace it all total upgrade being done every third time.

These upgrades and all the bits and pieces are ALWAYS FREE on Linux Mint.   They are always bug free as well, having been thoroughly tested and proven out before going live.

The process starts when the Update Manager software announces that it is time to replace your old Update Manager.   This sets up your system to go get and install the fully tested and released Mint software upgrades.   You do this with just one click.

This takes less than 1 minute.

The newly installed Update Manager then asks if you want the new Mint revision 20.x installed.   You can test and try out whatever you want about the software before actually installing it.
You do this with just one click.

This takes like 3-5 minutes, and when it is done Update Manager asks if you want to reboot your machine to make all the changes effective.   You do this with just one click.

The reboot process takes ~10~ seconds, during which you are asked for your systems password just to verify you are you.

All done in like 7-8 minutes total assuming you have good broadband.   Just 3 clicks and typing in your password once.

If you use Google's Chrome browser, your internet settings and bookmarks are all preserved and backed up automatically to your Gmail.com account.   You get it all back automatically when updating.

This is how good software behaves.

I am amazed at the number of reviewers and pundits that are now suggesting you get a USB drive version of Linux Mint and try kicking Mint's tires off the USB drive.    They are all in essence suggesting that you consider moving over to Linux rather than letting MS force you into buying yet another new computer.

I tend to be a bit more blunt ----- HEY, get off the MS treadmill and get something that will last you more than 5-7 years.    

JUST RE-USE YOUR OLD HARDWARE, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.    It is plenty fast running Linux Mint, or as a Cloud Ready Chromebook, try it and see.   But do pick an inherently safer OS. this means Linux or ChromeOS both are safer and ChromeOS is naturally firewalled and item isolated..

Microsoft just keeps breaking your old MS OS system repeatedly time after time and MS wants you to keep buying whole new sets of brand new Wintel hardware and software stuff just so they can skin you again and again and again.

In this current case, Intel and MS are so deeply in the crapper they are requiring you to buy a new machine with a SUPERFAST AI SPEED LEVEL SECURITY SUBSYSTEM called a TPM MODULE just to constantly scan and continuously clean up the buggy crap that they wrote in years past --- all in an attempt to keep your machine more "secure".   This isn't secure, it is a remote monitored band-aid system on top of buggy Intel hardware and poorly written Microsoft software.

Jump ship to Linux, or if you can't handle anything past a Chromebook, do a Cloud Ready Chromebook conversion of your old hardware instead of buying an expensive Wintel setup yet again.

Don't keep dealing with those rapist thieves at Wintel.

« Last Edit: 07/14/21 at 18:12:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/09/21 at 23:56:25

MMRanch wrote on 07/08/21 at 21:09:59:
I've got the best package that Avast offers.   I started to get the package from Norton/Life-Lock but that $10.00 a month thing is a myth.  

But yea , I'll be Ok with $120.00/year for protecting all my devices.

Mike, software cannot fix an inherent hardware problem, it can only mitigate it somewhat.    

My problem is that once these hardware exploits are known, Russians and Chinese and Indonesian hackers can do what they want with your old security broken hardware once they get into it.

Food for thought ...... John McAfee died last week after prolonged chemical interrogation in a Barcelona jail cell.    Who grilled him to death and then strung him up when they were done --- and what did they want from him ????

Official cause of death was listed as "hanging" BTW --- not suicide, just hanging ......

Depending on anybody's software to protect you is potentially misplaced trust.

« Last Edit: 07/10/21 at 01:31:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/10/21 at 07:58:18

Food for thought ...... John McAfee died last week after prolonged chemical interrogation in a Barcelona jail cell.    Who grilled him to death and then strung him up when they were done --- and what did they want from him ????  

Shocked

Huh

That couldn't have anything to do with the "HACKING/DATA-MINING" going on around the world ! ?  !    Undecided

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/10/21 at 17:26:14

McAfee knew a whole lot about how to get around MS and Intel security measures.  

Somebody squeezed him dry and threw away the husk .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 07/14/21 at 17:28:31

Thanks, OF.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print