Lt. Michael L. Byrd (Read 485 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lt. Michael L. Byrd
Reply #60 - 07/22/21 at 05:07:53

Eegore wrote on 07/21/21 at 20:07:34:
 I think believing a center exists is part of the problem.

I agree. Not sure who said it, but a moderate is a cowardly Democrat.

To my point on the entertainment culture being decidedly left of center (actually, dramatically left of center) I saw the end of anchorman last night and it’s one of those movies where they show pictures of the characters and how their futures turned out. Same thing with animal House . In both cases, the characters in the movies portrayed as fools or bad people are always associate as being in the Republican party. Always.

Challenge: find me a movie where a character in a movie who is either universally understood to be dumb or a very bad person, is jokingly associated with the Democratic Party in their future.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 07/22/21 at 08:23:12

I wonder how much impact these two comedy movies have on the overall view of the Republican party over time.

For instance I've seen both of those movies and never even noticed the political party of the characters, but that's just me.

How are you evaluating the sociological impact these films have?

More important how do you define "associated with" in regards to a political party?  What are the parameters you would accept?

Are these characters only fictional, or are interpretations of real humans allowed?

What do you define as "Dumb or very bad" and is the character only to contain these traits?  For instance is "violent" exempt if the violence is not interpreted as "very bad"?   How is "very bad" differentiated from "bad"?

An example is character Harley Quinn in the movie Birds of Prey voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 caucuses.  

We need to establish if this makes her associated with the Republican Party, and if she is interpreted by the majority of viewers as being dumb, or very bad.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 07/22/21 at 08:36:08

You didn’t notice because it’s normal. If a joke was made about a dumb character at the end of a movie going on to work in the Obama Whitehouse, there would be a fuss. That demonstrates the impact the left of center entertainment culture has.

Now you could argue it’s meaningless but it’s not.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 07/22/21 at 08:38:03

An example is character Harley Quinn in the movie Birds of Prey voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 caucuses

Never saw that, but voting for Sanders is politically acceptable to the entertainment culture so not sure what your point is.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 07/22/21 at 08:44:46

" In both cases, the characters in the movies portrayed as fools or bad people are always associate as being in the Republican party. Always."

We need to define "associated" (I assume that's a typo) so I don't bring up film character after film character where you say that's not what you mean, also so we aren't changing things each time.

What do you mean by associated with?

I think voting for Bernie Sanders associated one with the Democratic party.  

This is important because you have just entered a new parameter that was not in your first request:

"but voting for Sanders is politically acceptable to the entertainment culture"

So now we have to define what "politically acceptable" is and what "entertainment culture" is.  I propose we define first what "associated with" is specifically.  Then if the character is "Dumb", "Bad" or "Very bad" and if "Bad" is acceptable.

Then we can apply characters that meet those parameters to the "Acceptable to entertainment culture" filter and discuss that specific character's impact on humans that watched the movie.

For instance in the movie "Boyhood" (2014) Mason Evans Sr. is portrayed negatively throughout the film.  He steals McCain signs in the film, this, to me, associates him with the Democratic party and theft is generally not acceptable, but is it acceptable to the Entertainment Culture?  Is the character Mason Evans Sr. considered "dumb" because he is a general screw up in his life?

The problem here is he is not associated in the "future", and it is not "jokingly" done.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 07/22/21 at 09:08:45

In the movie Dogma Jay and Silent bob are typically portrayed as being unintelligent.  To me, this qualifies them as "dumb".

They indicate they are pro-choice.  This, to me, associates them with the Democratic party.  

So we need to define if Jay and Silent Bob are dumb.

If pro-choice associates them with the Democratic party.

If pro-choice is acceptable to the Entertainment Culture.

How impactful is the movie Dogma to the viewers that watched it?

The most difficult part is your parameter that they be associated with the Democratic party "in the future" versus in current or past time, and "jokingly" so that creates severe limits to the content.  In Dogma there is comedy, but they lack being associated in the "future", it is present day for the film's timeframe.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #66 - 07/22/21 at 09:31:15

WebsterMark wrote on 07/22/21 at 05:07:53:
In both cases, the characters in the movies portrayed as fools or bad people are always associate as being in the Republican party. Always.

How are you identifying characters as Conservative?
Are they identifying as Conservative or are you?
Do you ID them by behavior and see that as "dumb" or "bad"?
The prophecy seems self-fulfilling.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 07/22/21 at 10:53:05

How are you identifying characters as Conservative?
Are they identifying as Conservative or are you?
Do you ID them by behavior and see that as "dumb" or "bad"?
The prophecy seems self-fulfilling.

I didn’t say they were identified as conservative, quite the opposite. I was pointing out that at the end of the movie often times, the weirdest, most disliked people in the movie, if there’s a comedy bit at the end where they show their future, they’re almost always if not always associated with Republicans, Richard Nixon, George Bush, etc.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #68 - 07/22/21 at 13:20:18

If you are writing a character that is a loser,.. you will associate him with losers.
Trump has a great future in this genre.
He will reign as king.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 07/22/21 at 15:43:28

You are in so deep, you personify the saying can’t see the forest for the trees. You should stick to clever little sayings and cute emojis.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 07/22/21 at 15:44:02

I think it’s time for a vacation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #71 - 07/22/21 at 15:45:06

Kiss

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 07/22/21 at 16:30:20

Any input on the movies I have presented?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 07/23/21 at 03:42:41

That’s a poor example. My example was in two movies I recently re-watched that had a flash forward at the end to portray where the characters ended up, in both cases the least desirable character was portrayed as being part of Republican administration White House. I have never ever seen that portrayed the other way. In the case of silent Bob and Jay, they make no reference to the fact that they are part of the Carter administration for example.

Are you going to argue or try to put up a defense that the entertainment culture is not left of center (or actually dramatically left of center)? Do you really believe you have a chance to make that case?

Your example is a poor one but let’s say I go ahead and give you a mercy point in your favor just for fun. You’re down 2-1. I can pull up 10 more on my side. Can you find 10 more on your side? The answer is no of course.

This would be like putting Serowbot in charge of a movie. As the Director, if the movie called for a flash forward scene at the end, do you think he would take at least desirable character and portray him as going on to be a central part of the Biden ministration? No, of course not.

Conservative ideology doesn’t fit in with Hollywood and it certainly doesn’t make it to the top where decisions like that are made. That’s obvious. You can’t argue against that. You can make the argument that it doesn’t matter which I would refute but you can’t argue that the infrastructure is in place for movies that attack political parties to attack the Republican Party 99% of the time.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 07/23/21 at 06:17:18

"My example was in two movies I recently re-watched that had a flash forward at the end to portray where the characters ended up."

Yeah that's what I am pointing out as well, that you are not allowing the negative portrayal of a Democrat in any other way than specifically in the future, only "jokingly" and only at the end of a movie.  Then on top of that they must be "Very" bad, or "Dumb".  

That drastically reduces the availability of content, but it also excludes overall negative portrayals of Democrats, which I find very convenient.  If a movie portrayed a present day elderly Democrat as a complete PoS, this wouldn't qualify under your parameters as an anti-Democrat portrayal in film.

"Are you going to argue or try to put up a defense that the entertainment culture is not left of center (or actually dramatically left of center)? Do you really believe you have a chance to make that case?"

No.  Actually I have agreed with you multiple times.

"Your example is a poor one but let’s say I go ahead and give you a mercy point in your favor just for fun. You’re down 2-1. I can pull up 10 more on my side. Can you find 10 more on your side? The answer is no of course."

I can.  Do you just want the titles or the breakdown of the character and how they are potentially negatively portrayed and how they are associated with the Democratic party?  I would prefer your 10 have a breakdown of the character's role in the film and how they are associated with the Republican party.  Or are you saying you can find 10 more movies that specifically portray a character in their future, jokingly, at the end of a film, that is very bad, or dumb?

"Conservative ideology doesn’t fit in with Hollywood and it certainly doesn’t make it to the top where decisions like that are made. That’s obvious. You can’t argue against that."

Yeah, I agreed with you on that multiple times already.

"You can make the argument that it doesn’t matter which I would refute but you can’t argue that the infrastructure is in place for movies that attack political parties to attack the Republican Party 99% of the time."

I don't think it is 99% of the time.  

We would have to come to an agreement on how to define "attack" in film portrayals and infrastructure then choose a timeframe to assess every film made in the US during that timeframe.  I propose the past 3 years to get started, then refine the process for another 7 years, then push for decade by decade after that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 12:17:56

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Lt. Michael L. Byrd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.