Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor (Read 1150 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor
Reply #45 - 09/14/21 at 11:48:53

"Eegore, do you think PVC (white) will hold up better than the ABS?"

Type 1 schedule 40 PVC if that is what you are testing should be stronger than ABS in this application.  Type II would have higher thermal ratings and rigidity.  My understanding of PVC is that the chemical process never really stops which is why new PVC is very strong and old PVC shatters like glass.

Standard PVC is typically rated for cold applications, like water, and will deteriorate faster in the sun even with UV protections.  

If it were me I'd use chlorinated PVC.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #46 - 09/14/21 at 12:30:17

Just my $.02, rv's use a black form of plastic pipe. (I used some years ago making darkroom equipment. It held up very well with the chemicels involved. ) You would have to go to a rv dealer to get it.
Something else to try.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 10/08/21 at 17:27:56

Thanks for the suggestions Eegore & Badwolf.  I ended up using a white PVC elbow.  Not sure how I could tell if the PVC is chlorinated.

It's amazing how bad the ABS elbow was.  I picked it up off the bench the other day and it pretty much just fell apart.

Crumbling_ABS_Elbow_Syndrome.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 10/08/21 at 17:30:11

As I previously mentioned, I did a fuel soak test of a PVC coupling.  It sat in the jar a little over one-week I believe.  It didn't get soft.  Measured it with a dial caliper and it was stabile dimensionally.  It didn't discolor.  Figured PVC was good to go.

Fuel_Soak_Test2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - 10/08/21 at 17:32:11

Used a NIBCO J4807-2.  Again, it needs to be a street elbow.  Didn't have locally.  Ordered on eBay.

Nibco_Elbow_J4807-2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 10/08/21 at 17:33:22

A quick coat of paint made it look factory.  Glad I caught this when I did.  Would have been an ugly failure.

Painted_Elbow.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #51 - 11/12/21 at 23:14:31

Hey Mr Mike!
My PWK is on the way! Just had a couple ?s about the “catch can” run a breather filter? My broke self will probably be modifying the stock cable. So i guess i need to order a jet kit also?

Thanks for your help
Dan

E767F47F-8E8B-4CFF-8E9A-48AF205CBAF2.jpeg

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 11/14/21 at 15:45:24

Yes, you need to run a filter.  You should also buy a selection of jets, probably #135 through #145 main jets, and a #35 through #40 pilot jets.  The generic Keihin PWK replacements that Jets-R-Us sells work just fine and cost about half what the genuine Keihin parts cost.  Don't forget the special stainless steel Ideal clamp for the carb manifold.

This post gives some details on the catch can I use.  It's cheap and easy to construct.  Some folks (like Serowbot) just install a small breather filter on the end of the breather hose.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1570415428

What are your plans for the air filter?

Good luck, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #53 - 11/14/21 at 16:15:24

Mike,
Probably go a similar route such as you did. However I’ll probably just use a rubber boot that shaped  90° for plumbing. Same air filter.

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #54 - 12/01/21 at 22:25:13

BOOM!

E08BFC3A-0F99-48DE-95B6-14255BD5962A.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #55 - 12/04/21 at 16:51:01

On the cable portion did you cut the elbow out and length in the cable because I only have about 3 inches coming out of the top of the carburetor to try to hook all of that up and it’s impossible

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #56 - 12/04/21 at 16:52:37

Or I’m probably being a complete bonehead by leaving the throttle at the top on the handlebars connected when I should loosen that that way I’ll have cable slack lol

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #57 - 12/08/21 at 11:27:10

Are you using one of Lancer's cables or did you modify the stock cable? If it is a modified stock cable, the housing is about 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch too long. You will need to shorten the housing by that amount or the throttle will not close completely. It is easy, let me know if you need a how to on that.

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #58 - 12/08/21 at 11:36:42

I modified mine, I got it working well, working is a bold statement. It runs it falls on its face at low RPMs. My jets are in the mail however all this Amazon crap is got them delayed till tomorrow or something, which is OK because I’m on a work trip in Alabama currently. Working my way to Tampa and then  hopefully they’re in my mailbox when I get home or my wife didn’t lose them lol, same with my Canaan air filter is in the same shipment as the Jets. I just feel like the throttle cable could be smoother. I did as you recommended and use the hacksaw to open up the plastic piece on my throttle lever, it may be the spring in the slide that I’m feeling. I hate being away from my motorcycle Angry

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #59 - 12/08/21 at 11:44:00

These are both Charlotte pieces of pipe however, also they are both Street 90s but one is a long pool sweep 90. It’s about a half inch longer than the regular one. I’m just gonna hang onto them both and perform fitment when my filter gets here or there, I got creative with some electrical tape in my hotel room last night for the blue one yeah I was bored.

AA063C59-7FBD-4EE6-BAF7-B4134A24FD4A.jpeg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:01:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.