Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor (Read 1157 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor
Reply #15 - 07/08/21 at 01:35:03

The needle & seat flow 14.25 ounces per minute.  To support 50 horsepower, you need about 8.5 ounces per minute.  That 8.5-ounce flow requirement includes a cushion, so looks like the PWK will have enough fuel to get the job done.  It has a decent size hole in the seat.  The needle is typical of what you would expect in a Japanese carburetor, soft tip, spring-cushioned pin, float clip, etc.

Float_Removed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 07/08/21 at 01:35:46

The metering block is held in place with tamper-proof torx screws.  I could not find a part number for the metering block, but I was able to find the formed o-ring that seals the metering block to the carb body.  The metering block houses a non-replaceable needle jet, so having the ability to remove the metering block might come in handy.

Metering_Block_Tamper_Proof_Screws.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 07/08/21 at 01:37:18

You need a throttle cable to install the PWK.  Lancer sells a cable for his VM carbs.  As I recall, he sells several different cables for various model years.  I have a 2016.  His part number SP-005 worked good for me.  If you have a different model year you might need a different part number.

The Barnett cable does not have enough adjustment to allow wide open throttle (WOT).  That’s easy to fix.  There are two holes in the twist grip.  One is for a cable to open the throttle, and the other is for a cable to close the throttle (push/pull setup).  The Savage only uses the “open” cable.  If you relocate the cable to the second hole, it takes up the excess slack and you can adjust the cable to achieve WOT.   If you have a different throttle assembly, be creative.  

Stock_Grip_Holes.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 07/08/21 at 01:38:10

Extend the cable slot to the second hole.  A hacksaw works good for this job.  Be careful, don’t saw too deep.  Maintain the same depth as the existing slot.

Slotting_Grip_.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 07/08/21 at 01:39:03

Now the cable end can be installed in the second hole.  Test it with the housing reassembled to make sure that it doesn’t bind or catch on anything.  It must operate perfectly smooth.

Slotted_Grip_with_Cable.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 07/08/21 at 01:40:07

Another option is to modify the stock throttle cable.  Fast650 has done that on his PWK38.  He shared these pictures with me.

He files down the cable elbow so that it will fit in the socket on the top of the carb.

Fastmans_Cable_Elbow.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 07/08/21 at 01:40:53

And he carefully files or grinds down the cable end so that it will fit in the slot in the PWK slide.  Seems easy enough and should save a few bucks.  Check-in with the Fastman for the gory details.

Fastmans_Cable_End.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 07/08/21 at 01:41:49

You need a new airboot to attach the PWK to the stock airbox.  I used a 2” rubber pipe coupling and made an adapter out of an ABS fitting.  It all fit perfect; looked factory fresh.  Before you install the boot, you have to make sure that the slide goes all the way open when you twist the throttle to the fully open position.  Adjust as necessary to achieve WOT.  I believe Fast650 overame the airboot issue by turning his stock airboot around.  Again, check with the Fastman for specifics.   It’s an easy mod.

PWK_Air_Boot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 07/08/21 at 01:42:39

You can see there is ample access, and everything looks factory.  As mentioned earlier, you need a special clamp for the intake manifold.

PWK_Air_Boot_LS.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 07/08/21 at 01:43:27

This Ideal 5/16” wide #32 stainless steel worm clamp does the job.  The stock clamp has limited range.  The picture shows the Ideal #32 clamp on the top and the stock clamp on the bottom.

Special_Clamp_for_PWK_on_Stock_Manifold.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 07/08/21 at 01:44:03

The decompression relay needs to be relocated.  Just zip tie it to the frame

Decomp_Relay.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 07/08/21 at 01:48:14

I already had a good idea where the jetting should be.  As delivered, this carb is way too rich.  It had a #55 pilot jet and a #160 main jet.  I changed the jets before I installed the carb (#40 pilot jet, #140 main jet, needle clip in center groove).  The K&N flat panel filter was in the airbox (sans cover).  Ready to rip.

It started right up and ran good.  Idle was a bit rich but overall, it felt good.  After a bit of grooming, it was dialed in.  Under normal cruising conditions it ran perfect.  Easy to start, smooth idle, great throttle response, no surging, no hiccups, no afterfire (with the exception of a little cackle crackle on deceleration).  Absolutely no KaBooms.

Once I was sure it wasn’t too lean, I started doing timed pulls.  It had this unnerving tendency to go rich at high rpm.  Start pulling back on the main jet and things improved up top, but then it would be lean at initial WOT.  No amount of fiddling could rectify the problem.  It sure was looking like the flat-panel air filter was choking things off.  It could flow enough air at the lower rpms but couldn’t keep up as the engine speed increased.

The PWK couldn’t match the stock carb.  That just didn’t seem right.  Could the stock cylinder head be limiting flow?  Possibly.  But it looked more like the filter.

Let’s look at the setup.  Completely stock engine, airbox cover removed with K&N flat-panel filter element, stock exhaust header, LCGP high flow muffler.

With the stock carburetor this setup ran:

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 3.55 seconds

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 6.53 seconds

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K: 5.72 seconds

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 9.19 seconds

With the PWK carburetor this setup ran:

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 3.66 seconds            0.11 seconds slower than stock carb

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 6.64 seconds            0.11 seconds slower than stock carb

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K: 7.01 seconds            1.29 seconds slower than stock carb

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 10.26 seconds      1.07 seconds slower than stock carb

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 07/08/21 at 01:49:11

Time for a new filter setup.  Prior to this project, I had been running a K&N cylindrical filter in a highly modified airbox.  The K&N RD-0710 is 3.5” diameter by 5” long.  It has over twice the area of the flat-panel filter.  At $39 its cheaper than the flat-panel filter.  It worked good with the souped-up engines.  Let’s see how it runs on a stock engine.  Will it fix the problem?

It’s a simple setup.  The K&N filter with a 2” ABS street elbow and a 2” rubber coupling.  Here it is on a VM38 under test.

KN_Cyl_Filter_Setup_1_2_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 07/08/21 at 01:49:57

You have to cut the top off the airbox.  The arced portion in the front serves as a cradle to help support the filter and elbow.

Modified_Airbox_Top_2_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 07/08/21 at 01:50:38

Cut an opening in the back of the airbox for clearance.  The tubular foam insulation in the bottom of the airbox supports the weight of the filter and elbow.  The zip tie over the front of the elbow secures the assembly to the airbox.

Airbox_Mods_10_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:22:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.