Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on checking front pulley nut torque (Read 60 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
question on checking front pulley nut torque
06/27/21 at 09:12:45

When checking tightness on the front pulley nut, is it OK to bend down the tabs of the washer and just check the torque?  Or do I need to remove the nut, clean the splines and reapply red thread locker, too?  Just wondering if any force on the nut will break the bond of the existing thread locker.

I have the front pulley cover off and have been playing with rear wheel alignment to minimize some noise.  Rear pulley already shimmed but has a bit of a wiggle, but I'm not a machinist so cant do the bushing mod I've read about.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: question on checking front pulley nut torque
Reply #1 - 06/27/21 at 10:48:53

Just re-torquing the nut isn't enough.  You need to remove the nut and clean the treads.  And you might as well check the splines for looseness.  Any looseness will increase over time until failure.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 06/27/21 at 12:05:48

To address that pulley wobble, you can install a Duplex ball bearing in the pulley hub.  It's easy to do, no machining, inexpensive, works great.  It will permanently fix the problem.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1561964431

Align the rear wheel using a long straight edge.  You have to remove the left rear shock and chain guard but it's well worth the effort.  This shows a saw-guide used for making straight cuts with a rip-saw.  It works great.  I clamp it to the rear pulley, then adjust the belt adjuster bolts until the straight edge is aligned with the front pulley (parallel).    

Straight_Edge_Alignment_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 06/27/21 at 12:08:41

This shows how the straight edge lines up with the front pulley when things are aligned properly.  You might have to alter the technique a bit since you have a Kawasaki front pulley, but the concept remains the same.  When it all lines up, the pulleys, and belt will all be parallel with the straight edge.

Front_Pulley_Parallel_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 06/27/21 at 13:12:05

Very cool , I bet that setup would work fine on chain sprocket alignment    with chain and shock and guards removed. Who has the upgrade ? I’ll be changing the rear tire soon , I can install it then.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/27/21 at 13:25:46

I got it. Tanxs DBM

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 06/27/21 at 13:43:59

BTW , love your angle finder

I’ll have a buddy at work turn that spacer down

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 06/27/21 at 16:36:00

Ruttly wrote on 06/27/21 at 13:43:59:
BTW , love your angle finder

I’ll have a buddy at work turn that spacer down

You wont regret it    Works great

Hiko   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 06/27/21 at 16:56:34

I prob have a few axle spacers left. If not, I can turn yours down in a day and ship it back. The DBM double wide bearing is the real fix!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 06/28/21 at 08:45:59

Thanks guys.  I pulled off the front pulley, cleaned everything up and reinstalled.  I don't think it had backed off, so hopefully my cleanup and reapplication of red thread locker will hold as well as this last time.
Air impact took off the nut, but that red thread locker really grabs.  Cleaned up with small diameter wire wheel in my drill.  Found out my battery terminal cleaner wire brush tool was also good to run around the threads and male part of that brush worked well for the inside threads on the nut.  Cleaned the threads with brake parts cleaner, reapplied the red thread locker.  Had my wife sit on the bike with the brakes on and torqued it back to 95 ft pounds.  As a test, I also straddled the bike, foot on the rear brake and was able to pull up on the torque wrench easily til a heard the click again.  Easy to do solo.

I'll investigate getting that rear bearing done, too.  Seems like the best plan for longevity.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 06/28/21 at 10:15:37

Armen, let me know if you have any spacers left. Otherwise, I'll reach out about sending mine to you when I put a new rear tire on.  My 140/90 has 16 K miles on it and still in good shape, but I'm ready to go back to a less beefy tire with a similar diameter.  Gotta dig out that thread which really spelled out the differences nicely in some good tire choices!
Thx.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 23:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question on checking front pulley nut torque

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.