Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fire tablets Cheaper than I have ever seen (Read 113 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Fire tablets Cheaper than I have ever seen
06/21/21 at 01:36:31

https://liliputing.com/2021/06/amazon-prime-day-device-deals-are-live-if-you-...

Warning:   this is a ONE DAY sale.

Fire tablets go on sale periodically, we all know to wait for these sales.   Fire tablets are getting better and better --- all of them have the good USB C charging connection now and all of them have the Fire Tool Box Utility fully working now so you can drop your desired Google functions back into the things with very little effort.

https://liliputing.com/2021/06/hack-your-amazon-fire-tablet-with-fire-toolbox...

What is neat is that each level of tablet is selling today for the price of the level underneath it.    A 10" for the price of an 8", and 8" for the price of a 7", you get the idea.

Warning:   this is a ONE DAY sale.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Fire tablets Cheaper than I have ever seen
Reply #1 - 06/21/21 at 07:09:50

Hay OldFeller

I was over-looking one of my resources' by not asking you this earlier !

So , Marcia got a Chromebook (11.? inch) from her sister last Christmas.

I've made the mistake of checking it out and found it to be the "perfect thing to travel with".  
So I went looking for one I like.   I'm kind of spoiled to having touch screen and blue tooth.    I haven't bought one yet , there is a lot of information to learn before making an educated choice  Roll Eyes  

Well I didn't even think about asking someone who knows all about such devices till I saw this post from you.  

I don't know the difference between a "Fire Tablet" a "Chrome Book" and the man on the moon's under ware  , but my little 7" OLD Tablet is just to small to see anymore .   So let me ask ya if you don't mind ?

What's the perfect little traveling electronic buddy ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/21/21 at 09:00:36

A good long lasting large Android phone on a handle bar mount that is rigged up to a USB charging port on your bike is the most useful travel buddy.   It can display a saved Google Map route and give you turn by turn directions verbally and graphically.  

It is also your phone and your internet whenever you need it and actually have a tower signal.

A real modern current Android tablet (not a Fire tablet) can do everything but be your phone.

You have seen me do this sort of stuff in trips past.     It is neat, but it is not not without complications.

Warning:   Fire tablets lack a GPS chip and all assorted GPS functionality.

Tongue

Mike, please understand you simply haven't got some of the advanced android skills that are going to be needed to make the best use of such a Google-ish rig.    

For years you have used older Garmin type stuff instead.   It got you there, but it can only deal with older stored maps and center point to center point navigation & directions.

A large Android phone is always totally current, right up to road closures that just took place today.

Chromebooks uses the chrome browser, same as on your computer but they have no GPS chip.   Fire tablets can be tricked to use chrome after a limited fashion, but you lack all GPS functionality on a Fire Tablet because it totally lacks a GPS chip too.   Chromebooks also lack a GPS chip, so they are out of the running too.

Like I said, a large Android phone is your best bet.

« Last Edit: 06/22/21 at 01:07:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 06/21/21 at 13:31:51

Thanks buddy 🙂 I knew you were the guy to ask !    I have 5 inch GARMIN's with lifetime updates on/in everything now.    I'm wanting a bigger screen than a phone can provide (11-12" would be good) and a USB-C charging good too for around camp/motel room use.

Those little print items ain't so easy to read anymore !  Wink

« Last Edit: 06/22/21 at 07:30:26 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/21/21 at 14:05:10

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Smart-Tab-M8-with-Google-Assistant/54068924...

$99 today, it has GPS and an 8" screen so it should be easy to read.   Walmart has older versions up for sale  (some with larger screens) for even less money.   Make sure it has a GPS chip before you buy it as buying an old android device is a real crapshoot for features and long term support.

You will need to learn how to use Android to get this to do its tricks, but it has a built in GPS chip so it can navigate and talk to you through an ear bud as you are riding.

You will have to get Google Maps and learn how to save navigable maps to local memory.   You have to save the map area at home, then get somewhere with wifi (drink and pee stops will do) so you can START UP A NAVIGATION under wifi coverage, then you just let it run because if you end it you have to get wifi again to restart it.

Yes, Google is complicated when you are biking, but it is the only game in town for some things.  Now you see why Mike uses his Garmins, they jest work with no complications.  Everything is self-contained inside the Garmin unit, but this is also its biggest limitation.

8" handle bar brackets exist, as do clear plastic covers on tank bags so it can be your go everywhere buddy.   Expect a BIG learning curve as you haven't been an Android boy before.

Once again, I recommend getting a big screen phone as you can start and end stuff on the road a lot easier.

$49 to buy it and $20 a month for data plan (just get the data plan for your trip months) gets you what you need.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1621944053

« Last Edit: 06/22/21 at 01:02:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/22/21 at 00:59:58

Mike, if you chose to go Chromebook remember there are some Chromebooks with cell tower capability out on the market place.

https://liliputing.com/2021/06/samsung-galaxy-chromebook-go-pairs-optional-4g-lt
e-with-budget-specs.html

Issue with these puppies is you have to figure a lot of stuff out on your own as having tower capability on a Chromebook and actually using it for what you want is a way way different animal.  

Lastly, remember Chromebooks won't work for navigation duties ---- "Chromebooks also lack a GPS chip, so they are out of the running too".

« Last Edit: 06/22/21 at 03:07:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/22/21 at 03:15:42

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VANKYO-MatrixPad-S30-10-inch-Octa-Core-Tablet-Andr...

And if you must have a 10" Android tablet that can do navigation duties in a car or on a bike tank bag  ---  here it is for $129.

Vankyo does a good job with less expensive Android tablets with GPS capability, as does Lenovo.

Roll Eyes

Once again, simply having GPS capability and using it the way you want to is always a different animal.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 06/22/21 at 07:28:44

I have 5 inch GARMIN's with lifetime updates on/in everything now.    

got the navigation taken car of .  Wink

Your Walmart tip led me to look for chrome books on Walmart.   I got one of their machines .   I wondered if a fire tablet might be like a chrome book for packing along for evening surfing while away from home.   But , I'm sure the 11.6" chrome book will do just fine.

I got used to touch screen and can't think of not having it on everything now .   So , I got one for 169.oo w 32Gb's , so I'm good to go ya might say !  Smiley

keep safe !!

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/22/21 at 16:09:47

MM is now our list test case for "You don't really need Windows any more".

MM, if you get to a point you can talk about it, "what can't your do on your Chromebook" that really makes you miss Windows.

I have niece and nephews that have been using Chromebooks since they were very young, and they do understand Chromebooks at that deep long time user level.

They just finished a year of Covid-19 lockdown schooling at home so they are right on up there on all their current Chrome skills .......

I suspect your wife is really pretty good with a Chromebook too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/21/21 at 20:26:16

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home