Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pesky left side oil leak (Read 57 times)
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Pesky left side oil leak
06/13/21 at 06:44:28

Hi, I’m new here as well as new to biking. I am a mechanic however and I’m trying to figure out on this head where I should start because of the oil leak on the left side I did put a new spark plug in it. But I feel like when it warms up the piston might be catching the spark plug Angry

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Pesky left side oil leak
Reply #1 - 06/13/21 at 07:59:57

If you put in the proper spark plug - the piston doesn't come anywhere hear the spark plug.  The plug is up in the top of the combustion chamber and the piston has a flat top - they don't have any chance of "catching".

There are only a couple of reasons the left side of the head should be leaking oil.  Either the sealant on the head cover has failed, or the oil seal at the decompression lever shaft, or the copper washer on the left front cylinder stud.

The nuts under the exhaust and intake ports can leak oil.  If the oil is coming from that area - remove the nuts, clean up the threads and apply a small amount of sealant before you put the nuts back on and tighten them up.

One good way to locate oil leaks on this engine is to remove the breather hose at the top left side of the engine, and use the port to pressurize the crankcase with 5-10 pounds of air pressure.  Then spray soapy water on the engine and look for bubbles to appear.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953

IMG_8352_002.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #2 - 06/14/21 at 21:15:32

I appreciate it! Sprayed her down with carb cleaner. Gave her a good blow job..heh.. i hope it is the head nut...

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #3 - 06/14/21 at 21:17:13

Also had a Champion spark plug in there instead of a NGK Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #4 - 06/14/21 at 21:21:34

One more thing, had this joker on the kickstand....thought left...nope..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:31:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pesky left side oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.