Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High beam is working but my low beam is not. (Read 67 times)
Founders
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

High beam is working but my low beam is not.
05/21/21 at 16:37:44

So a few days ago I noticed after starting my 2014 the headlight was not working (all other lights are perfectly fine). My first instinct was to try my high beam and that came right on after hitting the switch. Everything else on the clutch side controls are working properly, indicators, horn, everything other than low beam. IIRC the H4 bulb has two filaments. Is it possible that it’s just the bulb, or could it be something deeper like the wiring harness on the left side of the frame under the fuel tank? Or perhaps something rattled loose in the headlight bucket itself. Any help is greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: High beam is working but my low beam is not.
Reply #1 - 05/21/21 at 16:48:27

The low beam is on all the time, so it burns out way before the high beam. 98% chance it is the bulb. If you look at it close you can see the 2 different filiments, one will be broken. When you replace it DON'T handle the new bulb with your bare hands. Your body oil can cause hot spots on the bulb and lead to a short life.

IP Logged
Founders
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/21/21 at 17:16:16

badwolf wrote on 05/21/21 at 16:48:27:
98% chance it is the bulb. If you look at it close you can see the 2 different filaments, one will be broken. When you replace it DON'T handle the new bulb with your bare hands.

That’s the answer I was hoping for, thanks for the reply.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/25/21 at 11:14:04

Its about troubleshooting!
A new bulb is cheap, try that befor anything els.. or even think about anything others!

At least your bulb is 7 years old.. they can last from 2 to 20 years! Shocked

Its this, on a bike one only have one (1) headlamp, the moste importante is the low beam.. even in the darkest of nights.. becuse one can see the road, one only have to adjuste the speed!

Been there, done that, riding on small country roads in darkest ours, whit only high beam.

And there are tricks to make that safe altso, first one have the high beam on till it seams that the veichel coming to you gonna get blinded, IE they put out there high beam, but then you cant put on your low beam, (but you still need to put out your high beam).. lower your speed and stick closely to the side of the road and turn on your turning signal, to the right, ( in US and EU) then they, (often a car) dont coming to crasch in to you.. becuse they know that you is there, even if they dont have a clou about your situation! Undecided

And then you goes to a gas station, put your bulb on the desk and ask for a new one, and get you a new one, the same fittings.

Or you goes to a shop that sells everything they can sell to cars and bikes, and one often have to examine all there bulbs, frome lowest price to those that have higher output or longevety.. and there is often a pakage of two, its for cars.

My local MC-shop only sells the moste expencive long lasting bulbs.. but thats probably becuse of.. only one headlight and historical reasons.. bikes do vibrates, old time bulbs didnt last that long on bikes that vibrates?

In any case, our bike dont vibrate more then my car.. its more about road vibrations.

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/27/21 at 08:35:21

If not, clean your bar switch. Every year, mine have pinch bugs, spider webs, etc in them.
A new bulb, a test light to see if both wires have power when you flip the switch, would help.

IP Logged
Founders
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/31/21 at 13:58:35

Thanks for the replies guys, it was just the bulb thankfully.

IP Logged
Louken
YaBB Newbies

Stock ‘09 w/ 31k
Miles

Tampa Bay, FL
Reply #6 - 06/03/21 at 21:04:17

You can usually tell it’s the bulb if you take a good look at it. The element will either look like specked, flaky, glittery and you sometimes can tap on the headlamp assembly and it flicks back on. That or will be burnt off completely and rattling around in the bulb

Mentored Motorcycle Mechanic (test-riding various bikes daily). Experienced Automotive Technician. One in 7 Billion. I’m new to riding/ownership, but it’s been on my mind for 25 years.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/04/21 at 10:57:14

A spare bulb in the shop.
Good plan.

An ohm meter.
Excellent plan.

A good eyeball with a good light.
Hold the bulb up between eyeball and lightbulb
Study the filaments.
Maybe give it a little flick with a finger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 21:40:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High beam is working but my low beam is not.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.