Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interchangeability on the S40 top-end(Cam (Read 62 times)
QNero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado.
Interchangeability on the S40 top-end(Cam
05/14/21 at 14:50:23

Hello, I have a question about the interchangeability on the Cams and rocker arms of the S40 engine between 1988 & 2003.

I have an old 88-89 Savage that i need to replace the rocker arms and Cam on. However, I want to get just a little more power out of the engine for our mountainous interstate roads around Denver Colorado. a stretch of I-70 known as Floyd Hill has been designated as one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the US with a 6% grade. So, i want to be able to do the designated speeds without the bike bogging down and slowing to 45mph fully throttled. In other-words, I'd like to stay alive without being ran off the road by 18 wheelers.

What I'm hoping to do is replace the cam with a stage 1 or 2 and get just a little more out of the mid to high end without affecting the lower range for city intersections. I've been shopping around for parts and have discovered that I can no longer get parts for a 88-89. So now I'm looking at parts from 90-2003.

I know that in 93 suzuki added an extra gear to the gearbox, but I'm thinking the top-end stayed relatively the same. "Since there's no need to reinvent the wheel."

I'm looking for someone that has compared the different year cams regardless of the different part model numbers. Are the spec's and measurements' the same? Can I utilize a more modern year cam and rockers? I don't imagine there being too much of difference between years.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Interchangeability on the S40 top-end(Cam
Reply #1 - 05/14/21 at 19:09:07

The Stage 1 and Stage 2 cams are no longer made.....the Stage 3 cam is better than either.  You can also use a DR650 cam - however you should drill the extra oiling holes that the LS650 uses.

The rockers were changed in 2004 to get a more durable wearing surface - they are interchangeable with the earlier rockers.

You should also install a more free flowing exhaust system - the Harley Dyna mufflers are good and you can get good deals on the takeoff mufflers on eBay, your local Craigslist....or a congenial Harley dealer or mechanic.

The new 97mm Wiseco from Lancer will also provide a big improvement.

I have driven a rental Kia Sportage on that stretch of road......it sure was down on power at that altitude - and I imagine the Suzuki Savage would suffer from altitude sickness as well!

An internet search revealed that you can expect a 3% loss of HP for every 1,000 feet of altitude.  So at 8,000 feet you are down 24% - or your 30HP is now less than 23!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
QNero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado.
Reply #2 - 05/26/21 at 17:46:39

Thank you for the information Dave. For some reason i wasn't notified about your reply even with the box checked that states: "Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic." So, I had to really look for my post to see if there were any replies.

I'm also new to the site so it may also be user error too.

So, could you please elaborate a little more on the oiling holes that need to be drilled? Also, my bike is an 86 Ls650-H according to the VIN and not an 88 like I had previously thought. Will that change any of the above recommendations?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/26/21 at 19:28:58

Keep in mind that your bike will run rich at higher altitudes.  

The previous owner had my bike jetted very rich and it ran like a pig.  I leaned it out and bike picked up 10 mph.  That said, it's pretty weak above 80 mph so I understand your desire for more base performance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/28/21 at 03:49:49

DragBikeMike is our expert on engine mods, and in the Technical Section there is a lot of information on engine upgrades.

Lancer is our source for Performance Cam grinds.

Here is the DR650 cam thread.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1525327311

Here is the Link to DragBikeMikes threads:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615569533

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 19:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interchangeability on the S40 top-end(Cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.