Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jetting - Where to start after mod? (Read 308 times)
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jetting - Where to start after mod?
05/08/21 at 11:52:43

Hi all.
I have completed a couple of modifications:
- Removed airbox and installed a K&N cone filter.
- Change stock exhaust over to a long shot pipe welded onto the outlet of the header pipe and inserted a 13 inch baffle wrapped in exhaust packing.

This is a 2016 Canadian model bike and has a 145 main jet and a 45 pilot jet along with the standard 0.110 inch white spacer.
Currently with the stock jetting setup, I am getting a lot of popping on deceleration along with a bit of not extremely loud backfire. It seems a bit sluggish in the midrange but improves slightly if the choke enrichment is pulled out to the first notch. Currently I have the idle mixture set at 3 turns out for the highest idle speed point. It doesn't seem to change much (maybe 50 rpm) from 2 to 4 turns out.

My question to all of you who have some jetting and spacer washer experience is what jet sizes and spacer size if any should I begin with?
I am in Calgary, Canada which is at an elevation of 3300 feet and the climate is very dry. Riding temperatures range from 10 to 26 degrees Celsius which is 50 to 80 Fahrenheit.
I really appreciate all input as I have no experience with carb jetting.
This will at least get me in the ballpark as a place to begin.
Thanks so much folks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Jetting - Where to start after mod?
Reply #1 - 05/08/21 at 12:19:22

For the pilot jet.  The mixture screw does nothing after 3 turns, and you have to have the idle really slow (around 800rpm) for you to be able to notice the mixture changes caused by the screw. (At higher idle speeds the slide starts to open and there is fuel coming out the jet needle and it adds fuel).  The engine needs to be fully warmed up to make the adjustment - for the ideal size pilot jet the mixture screw should be out 2-2.5 turns for the smoothest running.  If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine still runs smoothly - the pilot jet is too big.  If you can turn the screw out 3 turns and the engine doesn't begin to sound rich - then the pilot jet is too small. After you adjust the mixture screw increase the idle speed up to 1,100 rpm to provide adequate oil flow to the camshaft and rockers.

Main Jet - I would start with a #150 with the stock air filter.....I don't know if the cone filter makes much of a difference on the main jet (it won't have any affect on the pilot jet).  In high gear at full throttle you should get a steady pull - and if you roll off the throttle and feel the bike begin to pull harder at the instant you roll off the throttle, that indicates the jet is too rich.  If you feel the bike surges at full throttle, then it is too lean.

Spacer - The majority of your riding is in the "partial throttle" range that is controlled by the needle.  I have ridden several stock bikes that have were too lean at partial throttle, and they would surge and pull unevenly if you tried to accelerate at light throttle.  The place to start is to replace the white spacer with 3 machine screw washers.  If you still feel the surging - remove 1 washer and see if it runs better with just 2 washers.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/08/21 at 12:46:14

Thanks Modsquad!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 05/08/21 at 17:25:50

How did the bike run stock?  

You are at some elevation which usually requires a leaner mixture (smaller jets) because you have less oxygen in the air that is getting mixed with the fuel.

Make sure the cone filter isn't blocking the airways in the back of the carb. Also, many cone filters have LESS airflow than the stock airbox.  If either of these things are happening, you might be running too rich.  

What happens if you take the filter off?  (Or go back to the stock box temporarily?)

Personally, I would have only done one mod at a time.  Do the first mod, make sure everything is running as it should and then move on too the next.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/08/21 at 17:38:15

One more thing.....don't jet for what happens when you are riding and close the throttle.  The popping and banging from the exhaust doesn't mean anything about your jetting.  You should be jetting for how the bike idles and runs when you are "ON" the throttle - not off.

When you allow the throttle to close completely when shifting gears or when decelerating - you have basically shut off most of the air flow and nearly all of the fuel flow.  The high engine vacuum pulls air past the throttle plate - and the pilot circuit flows a little bit of fuel.  The fuel/air mixture is very lean and the spark plug cannot ignite the mixture....and the mixture goes into the hot exhaust header and is ignited.  Try riding in a manner where you roll off the throttle when you shift - but you still keep the throttle opened a tiny bit.......and do the same when you are decelerating.  As you slow down roll the throttle open just enough to make the noise go away.

IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/09/21 at 07:16:01

Thanks ohiomoto and Dave. All the advice here is going to make tuning so much easier.  Smiley

IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/12/21 at 07:32:52

I purchased a 150 main jet but in a city of 1.2 million I could not find a 50, 47.5, 52.5 or 55 pilot jet. I ordered all 4 from fort nine who were clearing them off for $1.63 each. But.....I have to wait a week for delivery. Disappointing but I do have a second bike to ride in the meantime.
I will post my experience once I receive the pilot jets.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/12/21 at 11:21:14

I am pretty sure you won't need (or want) a 55 pilot jet.

I have been able to do anything I want with a 50 or 52.5.

IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/12/21 at 12:01:21

Thanks for your input Dave. I was thinking along the same lines. Since I have to wait a week for arrival and they were so cheap I thought I'd get 4 different sizes in case I need to change. If I could have found one locally, I would have got a 50.
I appreciate the advice.

IP Logged
Seipgam
YaBB Newbies

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Reply #9 - 05/15/21 at 17:44:41

Reply #4 - "One more thing.....don't jet for what happens when you are riding and close the throttle.  The popping and banging from the exhaust doesn't mean anything about your jetting."

Well it does, but only the pilot jet.  If you have the pilot jet right it won't bang & pop on the overrun or at switch off.  If it's doing that you need to go up on the pilot jet, then sort the main. Only the pilot jet is doing anything at closed throttle, so it needs to let enough fuel through to ignite in the cylinder and not accumulate in the exhaust and ignite there (pops & bangs).
Everything else Dave said in Reply#1 sounds right.

I have just sorted mine after fitting a Harley Breakout muffler to my 2014.
Also done the same on my Royal Enfield which was popping on the overrun.

Cheers, Geoff.

2014 S40 Boulevard
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1954 Francis-Bernett Kestrel 66 122cc
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/15/21 at 18:07:21

Seipgam wrote on 05/15/21 at 17:44:41:
Well it does, but only the pilot jet.  If you have the pilot jet right it won't bang & pop on the overrun or at switch off.  If it's doing that you need to go up on the pilot jet, then sort the main. Only the pilot jet is doing anything at closed throttle, so it needs to let enough fuel through to ignite in the cylinder and not accumulate in the exhaust and ignite there (pops & bangs).

I don't agree with installing a larger pilot jet to add more fuel when the throttle is closed.  If you do that - the engine will be running too rich at idle and at low throttle settings.  You cannot properly adjust the idle fuel mixture screw when you have too large of a pilot jet installed.  If your idle fuel mixture screw can be turned all the way in without the engine going lean - the pilot jet is too large.

IP Logged
Seipgam
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 05/15/21 at 19:34:08

Reply #10 Dave-
"I don't agree with installing a larger pilot jet to add more fuel when the throttle is closed.  If you do that - the engine will be running too rich at idle and at low throttle settings.  You cannot properly adjust the idle fuel mixture screw when you have too large of a pilot jet installed.  If your idle fuel mixture screw can be turned all the way in without the engine going lean - the pilot jet is too large."

Dave, I think we are both saying a similar thing here.  Yes, if your idle jet is too large you will have running issues and also if it's too small.  The correct one is the one with the idle adjustment range on the fuel screw between 1 & 3 turns out, and if set right it won't pop & bang on the overrun.

This has proven correct on both my S40 and my Royal Enfield.

Geoff.

« Last Edit: 05/15/21 at 21:41:51 by Seipgam »  

2014 S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/16/21 at 03:51:44

Seipgam wrote on 05/15/21 at 19:34:08:
The correct one is the one with the idle adjustment range on the fuel screw between 1 & 3 turns out.
Geoff.

I agree to that.  The Mikuni manual procedure for choosing a Pilot Jet states you should achieve the smoothest idle with the screw out 2 - 2.5 turns.  Less than 2 turns you should be installing a smaller jet, and more than 2.5 turns and you should be installing a larger pilot jet.  (At 3 turns out the screw is maxed out for flow....there is no reason to try and turn it out any farther).

The stock carb has a TEV valve that is supposed to add more fuel under high vacuum conditions to reduce the lean condition that exists when you close the throttle.  As the bike ages the diaphragm becomes stiff and it doesn't function well anymore.....and even at that it has proven to be somewhat ineffective (perhaps the E10 fuel requires a bit more fuel than the pure gas that was around when this engine was designed).  I need to look and see if there isn't some way to modify the TEV to flow a bit more fuel.

When I have my little Ninja 250 it developed an issue where it had an occasional lean surge when you were cruising at a steady speed at constant throttle.  It was the weirdest thing......the bike would run fine at idle or when accelerating and even at cruise - but if a gust of wind hit you head on the bike would begin to stumble!  If you added a bit of throttle it would run just fine.  I started to change jets and move the slide needle to see if I could correct the issue......it just needed a bit more fuel when the wind caused the bike to slow down and the vacuum slide opened slightly.  In the process I screwed up and got the mixture a bit too rich - and although the bike ran OK....it lost the crisp throttle response it had when jetted properly.  Eventually I got a set of carbs from the next generation of the Ninja and the issue was resolved, and the bike was so much more responsive with proper jetting.  It is amazing how sluggish running an engine can be when it is jetted too rich....that is why I don't recommend installing jets that are just too big!  Some folks install big jets and are satisfied that the engine runs OK.....and in doing so they often get crappy MPG and sluggish performance.  

IP Logged
Seipgam
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 05/16/21 at 23:35:30

Yes Dave we are on the same page.

Just as long as folks don't think they can fix the overrun/switch off backfire by adjusting main jets because as we have both stated the main jet does nothing with the throttle closed. This issue is sorted on the pilot circuit.

Geoff.

2014 S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/19/21 at 12:57:29

My fist round of carb changes:
- Changed the pilot jet from the original 45 to a 50
- Changed the main jet from the original 145 to a 150
- Replaced the white spacer with 2 brass washers which equals 1/2 the white spacer thickness. ( I had to file down the outside diameter of the brass washers a little bit to the same diameter as the white spacer)
- I checked the float height and found it to be a bit low at 25.6mm or 1.01" (spec is 27 to 29mm or 1.06" to 1.14")
First round results were:
- I think the main jet change to a 150 is probably perfect. Good steady power on the throttle. No surging and no harder pull when I roll off the throttle.
- I achieved my best idle at 1 3/4 turns out on the idle mixture.
- I'm still getting a lot of popping when I roll off the throttle hard. I don't mind a bit of popping (actually kind of like itSmiley) but the frequent backfire is annoying. There has got to be a further alteration to eliminate the backfire. I tried turning the idle mixture out another 1/2 turn to 2 1/4 turns. Even though it smelled rich it made no difference in the popping or backfire.

I'm thinking maybe going down to no spacer or 1/4 spacer. Or maybe go to a 52.5 or 55 pilot jet (which I have both)

What would be your next moves???

Thanks a bunch for anyone's input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 00:28:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting - Where to start after mod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.