Send Topic Print
2007 ticking sound (Read 100 times)
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2007 ticking sound
05/03/21 at 05:51:28

My bike started making a ticking sound from the engine soon after I got it. I’ve checked as many posts on here that reference ticking but haven’t been able to find anything that matches. I have a link below to a video with the sound of it. If anyone has any suggestions on what it may be it would be immensely helpful!

https://youtube.com/shorts/nKIY5GQaigI?feature=share

IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Re: 2007 ticking sound
Reply #1 - 05/03/21 at 08:18:45

That sounds to me like relatively normal valve tick for a warm engine.
I would check valve adjustment is within specs (There are excellent tutorials on how to do this on this forum.) Also check oil level. Low oil can make the valve train louder than normal.

IP Logged
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/03/21 at 11:12:44

jd290 wrote on 05/03/21 at 08:18:45:
That sounds to me like relatively normal valve tick for a warm engine.
I would check valve adjustment is within specs (There are excellent tutorials on how to do this on this forum.) Also check oil level. Low oil can make the valve train louder than normal.

Thanks, the oil level is good, so maybe it’s valve tick. I’m really inept at these things, so I may not be able to get to it promptly. What’s the risk of continuing to ride it supposing it is valve tick?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/03/21 at 12:00:43

Sounds normal to me.  Loose valves generally won't cause any damage.  They just make noise and degrade performance a bit.  On the other hand, tight valves can lead to a burnt valve.  I think you are OK.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #4 - 05/03/21 at 12:32:47

From what I can tell by the video you posted, that soft sewing machine tick is not bad at all. It's actually quite normal for these engines. As a matter of fact as some on this forum have pointed out, no noise at all (especially when the engine is warm) could indicate valves are adjusted too tight and this will cause a number of bad problems. Better slightly loose than overly tight. Do keep an eye on it, plan on checking or having someone else check for proper clearance but I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.

IP Logged
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/03/21 at 12:40:02

I appreciate the help on this. It concerned me since it started about 2 weeks after buying the bike. Had it done it from the very beginning I may have not even noticed!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 05/04/21 at 07:30:26

And if it doesn't have a windshield and you install one, you will swear that the engine is about to fly apart when you go for the first ride with a windshield. The windshield will reflect and amplify all the normal engine clatter that you never noticed over the road and wind noise.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 05/04/21 at 14:18:02

Right on Fast 650!  

Same thing happens if you normally wear a helmet and then ride it around the block without one.  It's sort of like a safety feature!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/06/21 at 15:23:46

The thing is.. it sounds kind of nomal.

The other thing is if one ride the bike and have an Integral helmet.. one dont hear the muffler that much, mostly the engin, and it sounds like a sewing machine.

In any way.. I put for anual inspection, the guy take it for a ride, then it sounded for me as a big thumper.

And here is some sound to listen at;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQg8gtjzOA&ab_channel=DarekSowa

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:03:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 ticking sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.