Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Helmet/head stability in wind/high speed (Read 196 times)
Neil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Helmet/head stability in wind/high speed
05/03/21 at 05:40:05

With more experience, I'm comfortable the bike is stable at higher speeds (55-70 mph). But my head isn't. And I wear glasses, so wind sheer reduces clear vision. What's your favorite aerodynamic (and quieter) helmet, and would a different windscreen help?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Helmet/head stability in wind/high speed
Reply #1 - 05/03/21 at 09:23:22

When I first got into road riding all I had was old dirt bike helmets - a friend gave me a full face Simpson helmet that he used in his drag race car.  It fit my horribly, fogged up, and it was noisy.  At speed the helmet would push back on my face and it got really uncomfortable.

My next helmet was a budget Scorpion helmet, and it fit me better.  The shell however was huge and it look like an astronaut helmet!  The large size did create a bit of an issue at speeds - but it was far better than the drag race helmet, and I really liked the built in tinted sunscreen visor that comes down by sliding a lever, and the removable chin curtain was nice in cold weather.

Now I have a Shoei GT Air.  It has a much smaller shell, fits my cheeks snug, and it is quiet - especially since I wear earplugs when I ride.  I don't notice turbulence moving my head around.....but maybe I have just gotten used to that feeling - in most instances I ride in gusty wind or at speed the entire bike is trying to move around!

A good windshield is often a huge benefit if you are going to be riding fast for long periods of time (interstate riding).  It not only helps deflect wind - it also deflects rain.  Most high mileage Savage bikes are equipped with windshields.

See if you can borrow a full face helmet (or modular where the front can be hinged up when you want) - and go for a ride.  Watch eBay or Craigslist for bargain helmets.....sometimes the owners are selling good helmets for cheap prices.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Neil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/03/21 at 10:55:51

Thanks. I have a stock windshield on my 2006, but it's minimal. Where would I look for alternative ideas? Any photos here?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/03/21 at 11:24:25

Before you invest in a big windscreen, try this first; remove your existing windscreen. Windscreens tend to have very poor aerodynamics resulting in turbulent flow behind the windscreen. Here's an example:

My FZ6 came stock with a nice looking upper fairing that included a tall windscreen for high-speed cruising. It's a great looking bike. For a number of reasons I found the bike uncomfortable. I invested in a gel seat, Ohlins shock and RaceTech Gold Valves in the forks...and I just couldn't get comfortable on that bike.

One day I was out on one of my favorite back roads traveling about 60 mph. At the time I was actually contemplating selling the bike because some was just "off" with the comfort of the bike (I always felt fatigued after riding it) but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I needed to stretch my legs and I decided to just stand up. In that instant I knew exactly what was wrong with that FZ - it was the fairing. As soon as I got away from the turbulent air flow and into the smooth air I realized that the fairing was creating an effect that felt like I was getting punched in the helmet from left to right. With smooth air now flowing over my helmet my head was stable and it was much quieter. Within days I removed the fairing (selling it for $300) and installed a round headlight and aftermarket directionals. I don't miss that fairing one bit. It may have looked nice, but it was beating the heck out of my head.

Try riding your bike naked before getting a new windscreen. You just might like it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/04/21 at 05:41:28

"Try riding your bike naked before getting a new windscreen. You just might like it."

Agreed.  there are windscreens that will make the air turbulent against you depending on your size and speed of the bike.  I'd try with no windscreen first just to see if it is a contributing factor to the wind sheer you feel.

As for helmets I use a Bell "BULLITT" and it has options for a curved shield or a flat one.  These feel like they have a different effect but I have never wind-tunnel tested them.  I prefer the flat one.  This helmet is not the quietest I have worn however.  

Also the facepiece sits close to the mouth, I did test a direct road impact on a ballistic head/neck and I imagine you would lose some teeth if you somehow landed straight forward, which is really uncommon.  Of course no protection would guarantee facial damage.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 05/04/21 at 13:09:28

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/03/21 at 11:24:25:
Try riding your bike naked before getting a new windscreen. You just might like it.
---------

He means naked bike, not the operator!!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 05/04/21 at 17:28:01

I would have let him ride naked

He might like it

Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 05/04/21 at 19:50:13

I was willing to let Neil interpret it any way he wanted.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/05/21 at 13:03:11

Because AZ is so hot, I wear a white helmet... if I wear a blue shirt, I look like a giant Q-tip.
NO BLUE SHIRTS!....

As far as helmet brands,... try them on.
Some folks have Shoei shaped heads, some have AGV heads, etc... (those are expensive heads)
I have a HJC head...  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/05/21 at 14:33:20

I have always bought sub $100 helmets. Never clean them and let them get real groady. I leave my helmet setting on the bike when parked. No one would think of touching it, let alone putting it on their head.
If I had an expensive Shoei helmet, I would be scared to leave it on the bike and would always be carrying it with me.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/06/21 at 03:38:41

ckahleer wrote on 05/05/21 at 14:33:20:
If I had an expensive Shoei helmet, I would be scared to leave it on the bike and would always be carrying it with me.

Yep.......my Shoei helmet is either locked on the bike or carried inside with me when I stop.  When you add the Sena radio headset it becomes a significant investment.  Last night I ate dinner with a group  of riders and we had a table covered with Shoei, Arai and Nolan helmets.

The cheek pads and liner pop out pretty easily and I wash them several times a year to keep them from getting too funky.  After a week of riding in 90 degree weather it definitely is time for a "refresh"!

I likely would not recommend buying a top of the line helmet until you have found out what helmet style you want (full face, modular, open face, shorty) - and find out you ride enough to warrant the investment.  Expensive helmets are made from better materials and they are more durable than the less expensive helmets. Also watch Craigslist and see if you can find a good used helmet - there are a lot of low mileage helmets for sale as riders sell their bikes or get newer equipment.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/06/21 at 12:46:08

You either have get the helmet completely out of the windstream or totally in it.

I have a flyscreen and it's angled so the wind off the top hits me in the upper chest blowing fresh air into the helmet with very little buffeting.

« Last Edit: 05/06/21 at 14:24:27 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/06/21 at 14:32:40

Neil wrote on 05/03/21 at 05:40:05:
With more experience, I'm comfortable the bike is stable at higher speeds (55-70 mph). But my head isn't. And I wear glasses, so wind sheer reduces clear vision. What's your favorite aerodynamic (and quieter) helmet, and would a different windscreen help?

In my youth I always used open helmets, in my later years I always use Integral helmets, both for extra safety and for some comfort.

And there is both pros and cons for both helmet types.

In anyway.. riding a bike, ones head always gonna be in the wind anyhow.. and moste of your body to.. one get used to that.

Loking to right and left always gonna make some force to counter.. do this anyway, juste learn that it gonna happen.. its for your own safety.

And to windscreens, there is both good and bad ones.

And to that there are race bike windshield, touring bike windshields.. I think on our bike its more apropriat to go for a nice little windshield inbetween.. if one need one?

Its this thing about helmet buffeting I think.. Im used to it and I dont ride on higways anyhow.

And here some Youtubes about it;
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wind+screens+for+motorcycle

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/02/21 at 13:44:45

What worked for me was the Slipstreamer Spitfire windscreen.  It wasn't too expensive.  And the  beauty of it is that it's easily removable.  You can easily put it on and remove it with two hand tightened screws.  Depending on how you feel ... put it on one day, then take it off the next.

However, your situation may be different. ... But it worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9mrYpwRE4

https://slipstreamer.com/motorcycle/spitfire/

Ron G

IP Logged
Neil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/02/21 at 15:54:04

Super timely reply Ron. Was going to order a new one in 45 minutes, as soon as BikeBandit matched Amazon price ($50 less) and told me what mounting kit I need. I currently have the Slipstreamer Spitfire Sport Shield S-06, and that's what's buffeting my head around (and doesn't keep hands shielded in cold weather), so need something taller to pass wind higher over me. The Slipstreamer S-00 Enterprise seems the only option that fits our s40 (S-02 Spirit has decals fercrissake and up-angled handlegrip covers may not cover s40).

But this buying adventure has been a PITA.

Anybody have a Slipstreamer S-00 Enterprise windshield?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 09:33:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet/head stability in wind/high speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.