Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wants versus needs, or, I never grew up ! (Read 315 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Wants versus needs, or, I never grew up !
05/02/21 at 22:41:07

Just took my hotrod S40 for a ride after 14 months. Not a fart in a carload, yet I feel an urge to buy a second bike.
Last October I sold my second S40, big mistake, as I rode it all summer, ignoring the hotrod.
Now I feel like buying another bike.  GS500, Ascot v-twin, Ninja 500, or a lower mileage S40. Am I nuts?  I also turned 77 2 months ago.  Help!!!!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Wants versus needs, or, I never grew up !
Reply #1 - 05/03/21 at 03:24:11

I got nothin'.......I am not a good role model as I have several bikes.

My Savage Cafe' is a fun bike to ride on a sunny day - but it doesn't have any luggage room and the seating position is not optimal for traveling long distances.  I have a "me" sport touring bike, and a bigger "we" sport touring bike to take when the wife wants to go......and I am working on a Savage project that will convert the cruiser into a bike resembling a 60's era British single (not an exact replica but one that will have an upright seating position).

Every year or two I feel the need to play with another bike.  A few years ago I bought a Ninja 250 with a blown engine, and after replacing the engine with a used one I put about 10,000 miles on it and it was a really fun bike.  I bought a Honda S65 barn find a few years back and got it running...then after riding it for a few months I sold it.  Last year I got a project Suzuki Hillbilly 80cc bike and replaced cranks seals, forks seals, fixed a number of oil leaks, new chain and sprockets.....and just sold it.  My next project is a Honda CB125.

I have also wanted to explore the Buell Blast....not sure why?  The Ninja EX500 is an excellent bike bargain and would be even more capable than the little 250 was.  I really like the BMW R1100RS.....and it a nice one came along I might have to try that for a while!

It is important to buy at a low price - as selling the bike is a bit hard in the current market.  There are far more sellers than buyers in today's market.  Folks "our age" are getting rid of their collections, and a number of folks who felt the urge to own a bike have decided it is not what they expected.  The Covid event has also made it somewhat difficult to obtain factory parts, and sometimes you have to wait a very long time to get OEM factory parts.  My goal when selling is not to make money or even get paid for my labor - if I can break even for the cost of the bike and the replacement parts I feel I have gotten a good deal!

The blue BMW is not mine......but if I come across a nice one it would be hard for me to resist! Wink

unnamed_007.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 05/03/21 at 04:03:42

Amazing what's available under $3000 !
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/03/21 at 09:33:20

zipidachimp wrote on 05/03/21 at 04:03:42:

Absolutely!  Where I live I have a huge marker on Craigslist.  Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington are all within a couple hours drive and there are literally thousands of bikes to choose from.

For $3,000 or less you can buy incredible bikes - some have been well cared for and are like new!  There are also a lot of vintage bikes for those kinds of prices.....although the prices go up for the "desirable" ones.

I have even been tempted by a few Honda GL1000 bikes - made when the Goldwing was a "sports" bike with a standard seat and no bodywork!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 05/03/21 at 11:28:24

Hay Zip ... I feel your PAIN !!!    Grin

I've got three .

The Guzzi V7II is a Great machine but its not as much FUN to ride as the British replica 1960's Triumph made by Kawasaki also know as a W650 , I call her "Kate".  But , for a real trip the Guzzi would be number one pick.   My S-40 with its small tank don't get to go anywhere anymore except to the store and back , but at 360# I need to keep it for when I get old and weak.   Smiley

Hay buddy , ya only live once ... go get ya another bike or two !   Have ya thought of a RE twin ?  Wink

Dave , is the CB-125 a twin ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/03/21 at 12:15:33

Zipi, I'm not that much into tinkering, I just like riding. I only have 2 bikes but sure agree with the other guys that if you have the hankering, and you have the money, and you find something you like, then buy it and enjoy it. I'm only 63 but GOD willing I will be riding into my 80's and maybe beyond. Cool

Oh, and by the way, that Ninja 500 is a bike I would love to own.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 05/03/21 at 14:59:34

I'm into 50% tinkering, 50% riding. To anyone who asks why I'm fooling with bikes at my age, I say "I like taking ugly bikes, and making them less ugly".  Lord knows there are a lot of ugly bikes out there!
Honda Rebels lead the pack, but prices are too high.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/03/21 at 15:22:25

I just say if you enjoy, it is legal, and you're not hurting anyone, then the hell with age stereotypes. Have fun doing what you like.

Just one thing though, just from pictures (as I have yet to see one in person) I like the Rebel 1100. Roll Eyes

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/03/21 at 18:39:47

Found out a thing I don't care for --- the Rebel 1100 is speed capped by Honda and unless you pay $400 for a Power Commander you will never see a 1 with two extra digits on the speedo --- it caps at 99 by Honda programming.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 05/03/21 at 22:29:58

Honda tried a 'speed cap' on the CB1100 until a guy in PA found a way to uncap it. True top speed is 140 !
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 05/04/21 at 07:34:15

I'm a little surprised that there is not a Nationally mandated speed cap on all vehicles sold in the USA.

Or even :  My GPS knows the speed limit anywhere I drive and it could limit the speed of my vehicle if it was tied to the vehicles computer. ???  Roll Eyes    We all know its just a matter of time ...

Progressive insurance company offers a SAFE DRIVER discount to me.   I believe the way it works is : You give them your phone # and they track your driving for a test period , then base your $$ rate $$ on your behavior .   Seems Fair enough .

Big brother is watching !   Shocked  

PS , I have a REALLY GOOD INSURANCE RATE !   Wink   On the cages ...  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/04/21 at 09:28:08

Oldfeller, that you say, no bueno.

MM, quit giving the government ideas. You know those people want absolute control over all of us.

Progressive offered to monitor my driving for additional discount. In a polite manner I told them where to put it. Grin

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #12 - 05/05/21 at 08:02:52

Dave wrote on 05/03/21 at 09:33:20:
zipidachimp wrote on 05/03/21 at 04:03:42:

I have even been tempted by a few Honda GL1000 bikes - made when the Goldwing was a "sports" bike with a standard seat and no bodywork!

DO IT. I have two 70's goldwings and they are great. Dirt cheap and dead reliable. One is a full dresser that I took across the counrty twice, and the other is hot rodded out. 80 hp rips, even on a 500+lb bike! Sounds mean too with shorty emgo style exhausts.

I also have my first bike, an 02 Savage and I picked up a 78 Sportster basket case last year. I have been buying a bike or 2 every year to fix up and flip. Anything between $300 and $600 that sells for no more than $1500. Usually it's a pretty easy fix too, like properly cleaning the carbs, or fixing the electrical. It's a great way to experience different bikes and make a little money on the side. Mostly, I'm just happy to rescue some poor neglected bike that the owners have run out of time or talent to fix.

Wangs.png

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 05/05/21 at 08:40:28

MM, quit giving the government ideas. You know those people want absolute control over all of us.  

Springman , your right ... I've been bad ... Sorry  Embarrassed

If the government does "Limit" our speed then they only have till 2024 to do it or I believe they won't have another chance till 2032 , I hope .   Smiley

I had a GS-500 for a while .   I rescued it as a basket case for $325. and sold it for a $1000.  
But
I got to ride it for a while.  
It is rated for 45HP but it feels GREAT !   Like most vertical twins it has a gate , and seems to wind-up forever !   About 5K it comes alive !   Wink    Its big enough to have nice power in the lower RPM too.   The GS-500 also has shims for valve adjustments like the W650 does , I'll bet the 500 Kawasaki motor is very similar.   Huh

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 05/05/21 at 12:15:36

Absolutely Do It !  The voices in my head , guide me to my next bike !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:54:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Wants versus needs, or, I never grew up !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.