Send Topic Print
DIY Exhaust header??? (Read 47 times)
keeder28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DIY Exhaust header???
04/30/21 at 12:03:29

Has anyone attempted building a custom header pipe? If so what did you use and and what carb/muffler setup did you run?

I am thinking of buying some mandrel bent 1.75" tubing from lowbrow and making a flange to weld on for the exhaust port to the head like the stock header and use stock flange mount. Then routing it as a high pipe down the left side or similar to stock routing down the right side.  I am wanting to use a pancake pod air filter and an EMGO shorty muffler. Any advice would be appreciated or a link to a thread I have over looked. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: DIY Exhaust header???
Reply #1 - 04/30/21 at 15:39:36

I did my first one about 15 years ago.  Bought prebent pipe (1.75”) from JCW, cut and welded for the shape, the cut off the head of a stock pipe and welded it on the new pipe.  Even with my rudimentary welding skills it lasted several years before it needed replacing.
For the next one I bought an 8’ piece of pipe (1.75” OD) from one muffler shop and took it to another shop to bend and weld.  Used a head cut from a stock header once again.  I hauled the bike to the shop and had him bend, bend, bend, etc and was fitting it along the way to insure it was what I wanted.  
Oh, forgot to say I cut the 8’ pipe in half to make the header.  
Once shaped it was cut to length.  This one lasted 10 years before the head needed to be welded again, done by local welder who is so much better than me at welding.  It’s on my bike now.

Go for it.

You can use the stock carb or a performance carb.  With the header and a “Good” muffler your carb of choice will need a bit of adjustment but not a lot.  
The Emgo muffler is a sorry unit as it comes out of the box.  It needs a lot of help to be made decent.  Folks here have done that and may chime in to give you details of their work.  This would be fairly economical.  Others have built a muffler from scratch to meet their needs.
A lot depends on your budget.  You could look at units used on dirt bikes that ar pretty small and effective.  Don’t know about those prices.
I personally like Cone Engineering mufflers.  $150-190 assorted lengths, widths, shapes, straight thru or a quieter version, choices of baffles, all stainless steel, dynamite welding, they are beautiful.

I’ve used one on my Savage for 17-18 years.  I love it.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:30:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIY Exhaust header???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.