Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Classic , Vintage , Antique (Read 70 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Classic , Vintage , Antique
04/23/21 at 20:34:07

So what’s the difference Classic , Vintage , Antique motorcycles ? Some say 25yrs and some say 35yrs. If it’s 25 then all my bikes are vintage except the sportster. I wouldn’t call any of them Antique but I would call them Vintage. Is there a standard to go by ? I may be classified Antique or maybe just almost dead like a close friend always tell me ! My Savage Tracker has turned 25 , is it now a Vintage tracker with a Antique pilot ?    Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Classic , Vintage , Antique
Reply #1 - 04/23/21 at 21:32:19

I'd call my "KATE W-650"  a  Classic , but its only 21 years old ?

Does Vintage mean most parts are still available ?

I think Antique means you make your own parts out of what-ever you can find ?   Grin

Sometimes I've thought that running in the cross country canon-ball on a "Antique" bike might be fun ?   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 04/27/21 at 02:18:44

The terms vintage antique and "classic" vary the world over. The Antique Motorcycle Club of America appears to define Antique as being over thirty five years old. I have yet to check the Vintage Motorcycle Club of Great Britain. "Classic" is a very misused term. The Classic Car Club of America has a strictly defined list of very high quality US and Brit Euro vehicles from the late '20's to late 'thirties, eg most eight cylinder Packards would be in, the mid late'thirties sixes possibly not. The NZ situation re motorcycles is this Veteran pre 1919, Vintage pre 1932 Post vintage pre 1945, and there's 3 other caregories up to post 1980 with a cut off date of 30 years from manufacture. Apparently the English Vintage Motorcycle Club will accept machines over 25 years old.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/27/21 at 03:21:30

As JCstokes states - I don't think there is any possible way to strictly define what Classic/Vintage/Antique vehicles are. And in Kentucky the license plates for vehicles 25 years or older are labeled "HISTORIC".

I personally have a hard time believing anything newer than me (1955) is potentially Antique or Historic! Wink

In my mind the "antique" classification fits vehicles that are from the early era of transportation and are somewhat primitive.  Gas lights, mechanical brakes, hand or foot starters, leather seats, exposed rockers arms, gravity fuel systems, magneto ignitions, etc.  For me this era goes into the late 1920's.....the bodywork of cars and trucks from this era was reminiscent of buggies or coaches and they had steps or running boards to help you get inside.

The Vintage era for me starts when automobiles and trucks had electric starters as standard, 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, windows with cranks to roll them up/down, valves and rockers arms were enclosed.  The bodywork was streamlined and the bumpers were often part of the bodywork and not just bolt on "options".

The Classic era for me is the 1950-1960 vehicles.

I am not sure what to classify the 70's and later vehicles as......they just don't seem old or primitive enough to have a special classification.  It just seems wrong that vehicles as new as 1996 qualifies for "HISTORIC" plates.....in 5 years I will be able to get HISTORIC plates on the 2002 Chevy truck that I own - that is just completely weird!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #4 - 04/27/21 at 03:30:34

All I know is the term antique is way over used. I have seen someone referring to their 1984 Honda as a  antique. while I refuse to call my 1956 Matchless a antique, it is a classic.

Speaking of which. I rode my Matchless over to a friend that has true  antique motorcycles. I thought I was going to impress him with it.
But there he was in the shed with a 1908 (pope , flying Merkel. not sure).
Big single that was running. He races this thing! "Pine tar! It give the belt grip! he said.  I was really out of place I though my 50+ year motorcycle looked extremely  modern to this strange exposed valve gear blat blat blat, belt driven single over 100 years old!    Tongue

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/27/21 at 03:42:03

In Sweden its like this.. "veteranfordon", in English Vintage vehicles!
30 years old vehicles.. that is used as collector vehicles/hobby vehicels, have special rules.

One still need to go to an inspection every second year, but they only inspect the safety issues, like brakes, lights, turn signaling and that kind of stuff.

And to the benefits, no vehicel tax, and a Vintage insurance, but this have caveats, its only for vehicels that are used sparsely!

I think this is fair enough.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 04/27/21 at 08:33:28

I had to go look what Tennessee calls "Antique" :

. The vehicle must be over twenty-five (25) years old and with a
non-modified engine and body and can only be used for general transportation on Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays.

So , in four years I could get Antique plates for Kate ... but I'd have to only ride on weekends , and federal holidays. !   Undecided

That's to tight of a hole for me to get into !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/27/21 at 08:48:17

I contacted a friend at MECUM and a few that work in "antiques" etc.  One lady was on the original Antiques Roadshow.  

An antique is over 100 years old.

"Vintage" is 20 - 99 years old and then it gets pretty open ended.  For the most part I hear that an item must capture a sense of nostalgia that’s relevant to the culture or subculture in some way.

"Collectible" is something that is worth more than what it was originally purchased for.

"Classic" is completely open ended, everyone had a different answer.  I imagine a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback could be a "Classic" depending on who is evaluating it.

I know where I lived they tried to start a rivalry football game between two schools and called it the Pigskin "Classic" on the first year.

In CO there are a few options for vehicle registration and plates.  32 years old is the minimal cutoff for vehicles in CO.

"Street Rod" plates =  Vehicles manufactured in 1948 or earlier.

"Collectors" plate (5 years) = Vehicles must be (a) Model year 1975 or earlier; or(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; OR (c) A model year at least thirty-two years old unless the vehicle was registered before September 1,2009, and meets the requirements of paragraph (b) of this subsection (2). if the vehicle is being registered under this paragraph (c) and in the program area, as defined in section 42-4-304: (i) The vehicle must have passed an emissions test meeting the standards of part 3 of article 4 of this title within the last twelve months before being initially registered by the owner as a collector's item; and (ii) The owner must sign an affidavit DR 2839 that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways for more than four thousand five hundred miles per year. All taxes and fees shall be five times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed.

Colorado Revised Statute 42-12-101, 42-12-102 and 42-12-401

There is also a "Year of Manufacture" option where you can supply an original plate and can only use the vehicle for special events.

"The Year of Manufacture license plate is an original plate for motor vehicles valued principally because of the vehicle's early date of manufacture, design, or historical interest or value as collectors' items."

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/27/21 at 09:21:48

MMRanch wrote on 04/27/21 at 08:33:28:
I had to go look what Tennessee calls "Antique" :

. The vehicle must be over twenty-five (25) years old and with a
non-modified engine and body and can only be used for general transportation on Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays.

I seriously doubt that any officer is going to get overly excited and pull you over for riding a motorcycle with an antique plate on a non-holiday weekday!  Maybe if you were using it as your daily commuter vehicle or using it to run a business (like a 25 year old truck with ladder racks and siding tools) - but I just can't see an officer hassling you for going out for a ride on a nice sunny day!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 01:03:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Classic , Vintage , Antique

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.