Weak front brakes? (Read 126 times)
GatorSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Weak front brakes?
04/23/21 at 08:21:50

Recently I noticed my front brakes are incredibly  weak after riding a friends R3. My bike  is a 2007, 15k miles, I  changed  the front pads with EBC organic pads and did a brake fluid flush about 5k miles, 6 months ago, the pads have plenty of material left on them. I have always felt like the front brake could be stronger, but I didn’t realize how weak mine were until riding another bike. I know sport bikes will have better breaking, but it feels like my bike the front brakes are maybe 20% as strong. On that bike I almost has ABS kicking in when I pulled the brake lever with 50% of my strength. On my bike I need to squeeze with about 70% of my strength to get any form of braking at all.

Could this be an issue with the rubber front brake line being old and worn out and I should replace it? I have tried holding the brake line and then squeezing the lever as hard as I can to check for any expansion/swelling. It maybe expanded a very very tiny amount but not enough for me to think it’s the problem and needs to be replaced. I don’t think there are any air bubbles in the line, I can pull the brake lever about 20% of the way to the handlebar and after that it doesn’t move anymore with any additional pressure.

Any thought or fixes to improve the strength of the front brakes?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Weak front brakes?
Reply #1 - 04/23/21 at 09:25:46

The stock Savage has horrible brakes. They fade instantly and offer no feedback. A stainless steel brake line will help a little with lever feel, but nothing more. If Sandor Bota is still around he might be able to sell you the big brake kit (BBK) that transforms the brakes of the bike with a larger floating rotor and dual-piston calipers from a Yamaha R1. It's not an expensive kit, but it's well worth the money. If you click the link in my signature, you can see the kit installed on my S40.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/24/21 at 09:43:43

I believe the front brake on the Savage was intentionally made to be a bit "soft" - to allow beginner riders some room for error.

I have bumped the Big Brake kit to the top of the list in the Marketplace - I am not sure if they are still available......if you are interested you will have to contact him and see.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1475013866/0

If you are handy at fabricating pieces - a left side brake caliper from a Suzuki SV650 can be adapted to fit......and it makes for a very strong front brake.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1506653047/11#11

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Weak front brakes?pi
Reply #3 - 04/24/21 at 11:21:24

The BBK is worth the investment. Effortless two finger braking , grab a handful and get a flying lesson. I don’t even use the rear brake anymore til I need to do a panic stop. Super easy installation and with killer results.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Keifer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Canada
Reply #4 - 04/26/21 at 12:15:01

I went with an HEL stainless braided line, super easy plug and play and reasonable prices and colour choices.  Made a huge difference in feel to me (though mine is much older than yours)

https://us.helperformance.com/

93 Savage - 21K miles
  IP Logged
GatorSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #5 - 04/26/21 at 20:16:18

Thanks for the replies! When taking a closer look I noticed there was a lot of nasty looking stuff/ maybe oil around the calipers and pads. Maybe some brake fluid leaked onto the pads and that's what is causing the weak performance? I am going to replace the pads and probably get a SS brake line as those are the cheap options to see if they help. If it still isnt up to my expectations I will look into the big brake kit. Thanks!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/27/21 at 05:04:17

I find the front break better then on my old bikes.
But those bikes was 25 years ago.. double levers drum brakes in the front. Shocked
In any case, you have alredy noticed that there is a lot of nasty looking stuff.. get rid of that in the first place.

IE, make it to at least original!

To that.. I dont think that enginers at Suzuki dont solved the problem of getting  a functional front brake?

And to that.. there are still some extra other suppliers of parts to our bike.

In anyway, there are probably no issues to get those parts frome other suppliers, like the Stainles braided  lines?

But at first.. get rid of all any isuies!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 04/27/21 at 06:12:42

GatorSavage wrote on 04/26/21 at 20:16:18:
Thanks for the replies! When taking a closer look I noticed there was a lot of nasty looking stuff/ maybe oil around the calipers and pads. Maybe some brake fluid leaked onto the pads and that's what is causing the weak performance? I am going to replace the pads and probably get a SS brake line as those are the cheap options to see if they help. If it still isnt up to my expectations I will look into the big brake kit. Thanks!

If there is any brake fluid around the caliper, that means your seals have failed. Don't do half the job - do the entire job. Disassemble the caliper and replace the seals (they are just o-rings...not a big job).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 03:46:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weak front brakes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.