Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
JB Weld for broken gas tank L bracket (Read 135 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
JB Weld for broken gas tank L bracket
04/21/21 at 14:00:35

Just wondering what you guys think. The L bracket that attaches the gas tank to the frame on the S40 broke on this last trip. Even if I could weld, I do not think I would attempt to weld on a gas tank. I am therefore thinking of reattaching the L bracket to the tank with JB Weld. Is this futile or is it worth a try?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: JB Weld for broken gas tank L bracket
Reply #1 - 04/21/21 at 14:17:40

It's possible.
I would get a piece of material and bend it to the same angle with large bend radius.
Then glue it to the 2 pieces.  You could pop rivet it to the bracket piece as well.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/21/21 at 16:12:04

The bracket would be much stronger brazed.
Sometimes paying for something is better.
A bodyman at the local bent car fixit shop could do that either brazing or not welding in a few minutes.
You should be in and out for twenty bucks and a twelve pack.

You might have to check a few places, if you see a bike in the parking lot, best start.
Dealership shops, meh, probably not.
Independent shops, best bet.
Announcing yourself and needs at the office
Not best approach
Mozy in a back door, strike up a conversation with a bodyman, ask about guys who do work at home, blah,blah,  you get the idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/21/21 at 16:12:40

I've worked in bodyshops..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/22/21 at 00:35:43

Just my opinion and my experience, as best as I can remember it.

JB Weld, steel putty, and such things set up ROCK hard.  There is no flex. They will crack.  The first time mine broke, I used steel putty. My welder cussed up a storm as he had to grind it off then I had to have it bead blasted, so he could weld to metal.  He bent and welded a plate over the crack in the bend.  The next time, the bracket cracked at the end of his plate.  The next time (or the time after?), a spot weld that holds the bracket to the tank broke and gas was leaking.  He wouldn't touch that.  He would have had to cut the bracket off and redo the entire thing. I filled around the bracket with JB weld.  That was when I started looking for a new tank.

Once that bracket breaks, there is no fix that will last forever.  But I went YEARS on those fixes.   Each one lasted a good while.
AND, you have to remember, I ride off road.. too much...  Much more abuse than usual.

I have also went through two rear fenders.  Learned my lesson from those and I packed the third one with steel putty in the void between the fender and the license plate bracket before I put it into service.  No problems.. yet.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/22/21 at 05:18:21

JB Weld, steel putty, and such things set up ROCK hard.  There is no flex. They will crack.

This has been my limited experience.  I have only used JB on maybe 100 - 150 metal items and I can only recall 30 or so of them having significant vibration and I can't recall a single one not coming apart.  

I would remove the tank, clean it, have it welded or brazed as JoG suggested.  Not seeing the break I am not sure about rivets, but I'd choose those over JB.  This way you aren't just waiting to see if the JB held up.

Once you got a general idea of cost, including your time, I'd compare that to a replacement tank as well.  I see used ones all the time.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/22/21 at 07:38:26

Just an odd thought...
I wonder if a super magnet or two attached to the bracket would be strong enough to hold the tank in place?
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/neodymium-super-magnet-assembly-na011200n-...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/22/21 at 07:44:58

Thanks for all the comments. I was thinking of adding material to the bracket and JB Welding somewhat like what Versy said, but it does sound like finding somebody to braze or weld it would be best. I'll update when repair is made. Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/22/21 at 07:46:09

Cool Sero. That is thinking outside the box! Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 04/22/21 at 08:04:54

How about a super magnet  and JB Weld ?   Huh

Springman , a small independent shop will want $25 to braze it for ya .   Brass can be built up like working with a hot glue stick but brass rods are pricy when ya buy them.   That idea of using a thicker piece of steel next time is a good plan.   Don't just put it back like it was because that wasn't good enough.  

How is the other side doing ?    A build up of brass in time might save the other side from having a similar problem later ?

When working with JB Weld and steel ... I've found that drilling 1/4" holes in the new metal for the JB Weld to ooze up through helps hold the new piece into place ( gives the JB more surface to grab) , be sure to have metal to metal surfaces .  Good luck with it buddy .  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/22/21 at 10:10:04

Thanks MM. I have not taken the tank off yet. The bike was washed in put in the garage. I am riding the Honda for now. Since I have not taken the tank off I am not sure what you are referring to when you say what the other side looks like. Here is the picture I took of it.

IMG_1428.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/22/21 at 11:59:55

When using epoxy, adjusting the mix to suit the job is reasonable. Less hardener yields a slightly more flexible product. The cure temperature matters.
If you use jb, mix enough to do the job and have a reasonable lump left over to study as it cures. Don't mix on cardboard. It soaks up some of the light elements. Metal, hard plastic, okay.
The extra needs to be spread thin, like the project, and kept at the same temperature.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/22/21 at 12:08:49

It appears your bracket is broken all the way through.  Welding or brazing it would provide a repair that will likely be fine for a very long time.  If you were here I would Mig weld it for you in a couple of minutes.....easy fix and it would not even mar the visible paint on top of the tank (you would need to remove the paint for 1/4 inch either side of the crack.  Brazing requires a lot of torch heat and definitely would get a lot of heat into the tank.....it would be my second choice for a repair.  JB Weld would not hold unless you used a repair plate to span across the crack and provide a lot of surface area for the epoxy to grab onto.....and the parts need to have the paint removed and roughed up where you will be applying the JBWeld.

I have a blue tank that is nearly perfect if you decide to replace your tank...I think this is the same color as your bike.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615654773

IMG_7752_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/22/21 at 15:19:52

Thanks Dave.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/22/21 at 15:41:11

Wet rags can keep heat away from places

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 08:29:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › JB Weld for broken gas tank L bracket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.