Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Using a float gauge and other questions. (Read 147 times)
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Using a float gauge and other questions.
04/18/21 at 15:50:00

I just cleaned my carb and I know for a fact my float is off.
Possibly crooked.

I bought a float gauge and searched the site to see if there was any info on them. There is not, from what I have found. I have included a picture, and have set it to what I think is the right measurement. Or Atleast the mm of what I’ve seen on the net by looking around. If I am wrong, can someone PLEASE mark on the photo where it’s supposed to be? A little help, embarrassing I know.
Just an FYI: the float gauge measures from on TOPof the lip, not at the rubber gasket. It’s on top of that little lip of the carb where the gasket is (where the bowl goes over the carb)...I would just like to make that clear and if that’s confusing, I don’t mean it to be, I’m just trying to get it right lol.
I also plan on buying a clear tube to measure the gas from the nipple. Should it be over or under that seam where it’s usually measured on the carb? Or matching that height? I had read up on some of it, but there was no gauge info, hence this post.

I also was wondering what is a float drop is, how is it measured (if someone could fully explain that to me that would be awesome. I’m learning as I go) and what measurement is it.

And I need to know what angle to put the carb at when adjusting. A straight up angle will help. If you tell me, for example, “oh it’s 45 degrees” I’ll get it in a heart beat but I’ve not seen an actual direct answer. I know it’s “touching the spring but not moving” or what not...but can someone explain that? Or pictures help...a lot! It’s how I learn is by seeing and not reading. I also don’t understand the terms “tang” or just about anything that involves the float besides the float.

I’m just trying to learn and not pay a mechanic $50 to just fix a float. I want to learn mechanics and if you don’t ask, you don’t know.

6A65866C-999E-4C6F-ABDC-DF93A51A7800.jpeg

'01 Metallic Glacial Blue Savage LS650 | Greenhorn grease monkey
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Using a float gauge and other questions.
Reply #1 - 04/18/21 at 21:30:58

Never mind the gage. Hold the bike upright put a clear plastic tube on the nipple at the bottom of the carb and open the drain screw.

Then holding the tube beside the carb the gas in the tube should be level with the joint between the bowl and the main body of the carb.

If that is good then you are good to go riding.  Smiley

It is not very arcane.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 04/19/21 at 06:16:26

The only float gauge I've ever used was a ruler.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #3 - 04/19/21 at 21:11:14

norm92de wrote on 04/18/21 at 21:30:58:
Never mind the gage. Hold the bike upright put a clear plastic tube on the nipple at the bottom of the carb and open the drain screw.

Then holding the tube beside the carb the gas in the tube should be level with the joint between the bowl and the main body of the carb.

If that is good then you are good to go riding.  Smiley

It is not very arcane.

Yeah, but to get it to that point...that is what is annoying. It’s the last step in my carb cleaning process.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #4 - 04/19/21 at 21:14:00

Tried looking for a standard ruler and apparently only children use them as they’re misshapen for decoration and “fun.” but got some tubing today. I’ll text it when the new jets get here and make adjustments (translation: mangle the thing until it works right because....shrug…) and give it a go.

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #5 - 04/20/21 at 04:50:28

i just hold the carb upside down and eye ball it. if its level its close enough, im lazy tho.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 04/20/21 at 05:10:03

twhitus wrote on 04/20/21 at 04:50:28:
i just hold the carb upside down and eye ball it. if its level its close enough, im lazy tho.

We have a winner for the worst advice of the week. Congratulations.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 04/20/21 at 06:15:27

twhitus wrote on 04/20/21 at 04:50:28:

Oh you sweet summer child.
That bike isn’t going to last long.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/20/21 at 09:53:49

Using a jar you don't have to remove the bowl each time you attempt an adjustment.

20210419_124550.jpg
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #9 - 04/20/21 at 13:59:35

ckahleer wrote on 04/20/21 at 09:53:49:
Using a jar you don't have to remove the bowl each time you attempt an adjustment.

I was confused for a second but you’re saying fill the jar up with gas, let the float sit in it and take that tube and measure it, I’m guessing that’s what you mean?

Edit: thinking back that wouldn’t make sense since the glass jar is in the way. I don’t know what the world I’m looking at.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/20/21 at 14:17:59

retro wrote on 04/20/21 at 13:59:35:
ckahleer wrote on 04/20/21 at 09:53:49:

I was confused for a second but you’re saying fill the jar up with gas, let the float sit in it and take that tube and measure it, I’m guessing that’s what you mean?

No. The tube is not used for measuring. It is just suppling fuel to the carburetor.
Fill the jar about 1" from the top with gasoline. Set the carburetor on the jar and let the jar finish filling through the carburetor fuel input nipple. The float needle should shut the fuel off before overflowing the jar. Measure distance from carb base to top of fuel in the jar. You need a jar with an opening the carburetor base will rest on, yet allow the float to move freely.
The pic is of a carburetor off an outboard motor. You can see the float dangling inside the jar.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #11 - 04/20/21 at 15:46:58

Oh! Ok. Thank you for explaining that. From what I’m getting from everyone it’s basically play around until this or that happens 😅

What jar are you using?

I was thinking about going with a mason jar.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/20/21 at 17:54:40

My wife saves jars for me, so I have a few to chose from. None have labels, so unsure what they are from. The ideal jar will have an opening size to supports all 4 corners of the carb base and large enough to allow the float to move freely.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #13 - 04/20/21 at 20:10:35

ckahleer wrote on 04/20/21 at 17:54:40:
My wife saves jars for me, so I have a few to chose from. None have labels, so unsure what they are from. The ideal jar will have an opening size to supports all 4 corners of the carb base and large enough to allow the float to move freely.

You have thought about this!  Good tip!

Hiko   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 04/21/21 at 06:08:42

It's a unique solution. If the jar doesn't fill you bend the tab up and if it over flows you bend the tab down. I like it.

But it's still easier to take a proper measurement. Since I adjusted my first carb at the age of 10 years old I've never once got it wrong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 07:30:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Using a float gauge and other questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.