Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pocket knives over the years (Read 437 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Pocket knives over the years
Reply #15 - 04/21/21 at 11:52:27

https://www.crkt.com/shop/pocket-knives.html

With prices ranging from $39 to $139 they are far too steep money-wise for old retired people like me who now use-test their $4.13 Amazon knives and actually like their free Linux distros.

Do they hard lock into place after single finger opening?

I really don't miss having to use fingernail grooves to scrabble to get the blades open any longer ......  

Roll Eyes       done got spoilt by the good stuff, that's me

(I am all spoiled now, my wife sez so)

« Last Edit: 04/21/21 at 13:03:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/21/21 at 13:34:39

Do they hard lock into place after single finger opening?

Yes.  M16 has the most reliable lock mechanism I have seen which is why we chose them to build the custom version.  

The issue I have had is a thin handle with the standard lever style lock in the handle inlet groove can be compressed by a glove when twisting the blade.  This causes the blade to unlock and fold.

The M16 has an index finger lever and the standard thumb lever that will only close when both are compressed.  Under normal use the duel locking is not needed since a standard lever is not likely to be compressed, but under dynamic movement and use those will close up on your hand.  If you can't manipulate the blade back to the lock position quickly that can be trouble as you would have to abandon your grip and move on.

I've not seen the new ones sold online to the general public so i am not sure of their blade quality.

I can see however that if you are using a knife from time to time why $5.00 knives are more appealing than a $40.00 one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 04/21/21 at 17:37:11

I've had the German Puma knives, Buck knives, nothing has ever been as good of an edge as the old Case blades before Chinese stainless took over.
Now I have a couple of these

https://www.simsupply.com/departments/consumer/tools/hand-tools/winchester-fo...

The lanyard hole is a start. I cut groove so my leather doesn't get crushed.
The blade is decent, holds an edge OK, action is reasonable, but metal polish in it and time working it is well spent. I'm fond of Semichrome. Polish.
The size is good, not thick, not heavy, but substantial enough to hold up. I got them at Academy, but have not been seeing them lately.
I have two, because I was afraid they would not be available. I've been carrying one daily, like
Don't leave home without it
For probably eight years.
I'm satisfied with the product, and the price is less than I would be interested in paying for the value of the knife.
Yeah, I'd pay more and be happy with the purchase.
As is, I call them a bargain.

Now
Are they the same as the ones I bought?
Hard to say..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 04/21/21 at 18:08:51

Have you guys seen the knives Martin's been posting on his Made In The Shed Instagram accoount?  Nice work.

https://www.instagram.com/made_in_the_shed_mc/

He's the guy who built this nice Savage.

MITS.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 04/26/21 at 11:48:02

8th week of continuous carry

I have folded over the feather edge cutting rose stems (moderately tough to cut stuff), resharpened the knife edge with finer stones and it seems to have a more stable non-feathered edge now.

The edge is as sharp as and is as durable as my stainless chief's knives (German made) but not as sharp nor as durable as my Japanese built non-stainless high carbon steel cooking knives.

This is not bad, really.   This is a $4.13 knife from Amazon, so it exceeds my expectations for a really cheap knife and comparing it to hundred dollar chief's knives is really a complement to the pocket knife's steel and edge.

The centering of the pocket knife's blade in the steel lined handle is good (and is adjustable if ever needs to be adjusted).

The single hand one finger tip opening action is always nice and smooth with no slop developing in blade lock up or centering so far.   Pocket knives do see abuse as a part of their standard diet so we will see how it handles what comes with daily use.

I spent less than $9 for the two knives I have now, so I cannot complain that they are not affordable.   I have seen knives that cost 3 times that much not do as well, so comparatively these are certainly RELATIVELY GOOD KNIVES for the price.

These are not gummy soft Chinese stainless blades, they are tough and likely meet all the improved heat treat criteria that make the https://knifeuser.com/3cr13-stainless-steel-knife-review/ such good but inexpensive steel for chief's knife blades.

===================================================

Cutting the safety seal off of pill bottles constitutes the most consistently dulling use case I have seen so far.

You know, very tip of knife goes under the seal and you twist it with some force to break the band edge and then you force the blade tip to cut upwards to separate the relatively hard and stiff heat shrunk plastic band in two.  

Surely, a very odd thing to get rated as the "most blade dulling cutting job", huh?

I don't know what shrunk cellophane like stuff is made of (PVC pre-stretched plastic that gets heat shrunk around the twist lid) but it is made of volume reduced heat shrunk HARD and abrasive plastic and that stuff will dull a knife tip up with only opening up a pill bottle or two.

You can see it at the very tip end of your blade, going back only like 1/16" up the blade .......

This cutting load is all localized in a tiny area and it involves some twisting force to get it started, so I can see where it is hard on a blade tip & the short edge just above the tip.   This is where your blade is weakest physically anyway, and it is where the steel of the blade got the hottest (got most annealed) during the factory grinding & processing stages.

Sharpening the blade enough to remove this particular dulling is laborious and if you did it often enough you would change the form of the tip of the blade.

I have chosen to ignore it going forward, as it comes back with the very next set of pill bottles .......

==================================================

BLADE ABUSE

Use it some and it will roll the edge and dull on a variety of common cutting tasks.  11o is too fine of an angle for this blade steel, but that was known going in.  

I wanted to see what I wound up with over time, what actually worked well in my real world.

I have been "quick edge sharpening" the blade edges, removing roll over burrs and blunted zones as they happen.   This has gradually moved the edge form away from the 11o full blade straight taper to more of a blunted "v" form, but functional edge durability has gone up considerably.

The body is still straight tapered at less than 16o but the edge itself (last 1/16" by the edge) is closer to 20o.

For a $4.13 Amazon knife, this isn't bad service, no not bad at all ........     I inadvertently try to cut cyclone fence sometimes when cutting off small hedge branches growing through the fence.   Yes, stupid stuff like that means time to re-edge the blade.

« Last Edit: 06/02/21 at 01:15:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 04/04/22 at 20:06:34

Wow, a whole year has sped on by me since I started this thread.

Still have me two good functioning pocket knives bought for under $10 for the pair of them.  I had to clean and sharpen the current constant carry (pocket inhabiting) one today because I was out in the garden cutting tar paper and down in the dirt cutting up irrigation tubing with that particular blade earlier today and got it all gunked and tarred and sandy dirt dulled just this morning.  

Yes, this constitutes normal use for my pocket knife, I am not kind to a working knife.

WD40 got the tar off the blade, four strokes on the fine side of the diamond plate got the sharp edge back and I ran it under soap and hot water in the kitchen sink to clean all of the dirt out of it.

A finger tip still pops the blade open and locks it firmly into place.   I tuned the alignment up for centering anyway as that is my habit when doing routine knife maintenance.

These are good cheap knives .......  actually they are simply good pocket knives, period.

I have paid a lot more for several pocket knives that didn't do nearly this good and did not last as long.

Note:   This one finger flip open knife isn't available from Amazon any longer.   Price has also doubled on all of Amazon's cheap Master Pocket Knives ......    

Note:   Optics Planet sells it still for less than $7.00 which is still a real good price for what you get.

Today these just went on sale for $5.19 at Optics Planet

https://www.opticsplanet.com/master-usa-mu-a093-3in-spring-assisted-knife.html

« Last Edit: 04/20/22 at 10:34:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:33:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pocket knives over the years