Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Royal Enfield 350 vs. 500 sales (Read 103 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Royal Enfield 350 vs. 500 sales
04/14/21 at 04:28:54

Recently there have been discussions about the new 350cc models that Honda and Royal Enfield have offered for sale, and previously similar discussions included the Suzuki TU250 and Yamaha SR400 models.  We yearn for the factories to build a 500cc version of these bikes which are more suited to the roads in the US.  We also lament the fact that a lot of cool motorcycles that are sold elsewhere are never brought into the US.

From what I have read the US is a very small portion of the worldwide motorcycle sales.  The majority of motorcycles are sold in China, India and Indonesia where 2 wheel transportation is significant part of the daily transportation for people - and not a leisure activity like it is for most of us in the US.

The engine size and HP of motorcycles in some countries is regulated.  A persons age can restrict the size of the motorcycle they are allowed to ride, and also the engine size results in higher taxes.  Therefore the smaller bikes are more popular and a 350cc motorcycle far outsells the number of 500cc motorcycles......and in some countries it is very likely that the 50cc - 150cc engines are the most common.

I have attached a chart that shows the Royal Enfield sales for 2019 while Royal Enfield was selling both the 350cc and 500cc singles.  You can see that the 350 sold 51,233 motorcycles in June and they only sold 4,984 of the 500 models....the 350 sells 10 times more!  When Royal Enfield had to redesign their motorcycles to comply with the current emmissions and noise standards - they chose only to continue making a 350 and they are not building a 500 version any more.

royal-enfield-june-2019-sales-break-up.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Royal Enfield 350 vs. 500 sales
Reply #1 - 04/14/21 at 17:10:11

Cool info.  

The only RE that interest me is the 650 Intercepter.  Cool and classic.

The Meteor 350 is like a mini Savage with its cruiser seat and forward controls priced at $4600. I would rather have the Suzuki at that point.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 04/15/21 at 06:33:03

The RE650 was the best selling bike in the UK last year. I've ridden one, and done a tiny amount of work on it. Quite a nice bike for the price. And not a bad bike overall.
They are bringing in the Himalayan and a new 350. Not sure if they have the nerve to make a 750 or 850 and go head to head in the US retro market against Triumph and some of the Japanese retro bikes.
Honestly, the older REs were pure garbage. The worst crap I ever worked on or rode.
I wish them great luck with their new bikes. A 750 or 850 twin with nicer brakes or suspension could be a real item.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/15/21 at 11:08:25

51,233 motorcycles in June and they only sold 4,984 of the 500 models....the 350 sells 10 times more.!

I think you mean ten times as many.

Hafta sell 55,000 to be ten times More, wouldn't ya?

This is a question I have often, when I hear something like that. I've never found a place and time to actually have a discussion about it.
I hope nobody minds the tangent and, Dave ,I'm not picking on you.

I see reports of some Thing happening and the report is
Thing Up 168%..
Well , is it?
Or is
Now 168% of how many times it Was?
Actually up 68%...

Reading this may help you lose
Up to twelve pounds.
Or I.Q. points...
And it's Free!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 04/15/21 at 13:24:44

I don't think we even have a Royal Enfield dealer over here.  I am very curious about them.  They look pretty good to me.  I can't get into the old retro bikes they made, but these newer twins and singles look cool.  I saw some sort of flat track event they sponsored where all the bikes were Enfields.

How does a land speed record sound.  This link tells how they recently set a record with one of their interceptors on a dry lake in Australia.  Goin 132 mph on pump gas, how cool is that?  It's a slick lookin scoot too.

https://robbreport.com/motors/motorcycles/royal-enfield-interceptor-650-hits-...

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/21/21 at 12:35:06

RE is pretty serious about flat track. First raced at the end of last season. Johny Lewis #10 is going to run the whole season in the production twins class this year.

https://www.sideburnmagazine.com/post/royal-enfield-wins-daytona

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-racing/royal-enfield-goes-dirt-tr...

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/21/21 at 13:58:42

Dave wrote " We yearn for the factories to build a 500cc version of these bikes which are more suited to the roads in the US."

There is a 500cc twin that weighs about 375 lbs and produces 47 HP and 33 lb-ft of torque and only costs about $6500.  At my age the light weight is a real advantage. It is the Benelli Leoncino.

Peak power and torque are at higher RPMs than I like and I'm not crazy about the styling.  But when I look at the pictures I have to wonder if I could fab up a replacement sub frame for the seat and give it a more classic look and seating position. (classic seating is best for an old man like me) A real fender in the front would be nice. Can't say I like painted rims on the wheels, seems like spokes and chrome go together much better.  

Anyone know anything about these bikes.  
https://usa.benelli.com/product/leoncino

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/21/21 at 16:31:01

Engineer:

That Benelli is a pretty good looking bike - much better than the Honda CB500F which was a bike I thought could do everything I needed (I just didn't like looking at it).

I know a parallel twin is a great engine.....my little 250 Ninja was a blast and my current F800GT from BMW is my favorite bike so far.

However....they aren't a big single!  Wink

I just got a liking for a simple bike with 1 big piston!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/21/21 at 19:18:18

Dave states, "I just got a liking for a simple bike with 1 big piston!"

Me too, so far this year the only bike I have ridden is my Savage.  I don't enjoy the Moto Guzzi anymore.  It shifts better, corners better, and cruises more comfortably at highway speeds but it isn't as much fun and is heavy to push around in the garage. I'm thinking about selling my old BMW R60 and my little CB125 but keeping the Savage and then buying a new bike.  I would like to try something more modern with ABS braking and traction control and it needs to be light since I am in my mid seventies and not getting any younger.  Or maybe I should buy another Savage so that I have a spare.  I don't think a 350cc bike would make me happy.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 07/28/21 at 06:56:31

Hay how about the Yamaha 400 , any ride report on if it can really run American interstates for short jumps ?  

I think the Yamaha really weights more than the Savage does , but it is more "Modern".   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/28/21 at 12:57:40

The SR400 is rated at 31 HP and a top speed of 91 - so it has a lot in common with the power and speed of the Savage.  The weight is 384 pounds - which seems a bit porky.  I doubt if it would be a comfy bike for riding double!

If you want a new one your better hurry - 2021 is the last year.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/485443/yamaha-says-goodbye-to-sr400/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:13:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Royal Enfield 350 vs. 500 sales

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.