Send Topic Print
Major oil burn off (Read 135 times)
Jonnyroquette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Major oil burn off
04/13/21 at 22:36:37

I'm a new member. I've searched around for a similar post but couldn't find one that fit my set of symptoms.  
I bought my 96 savage from a neighbor that had given up on this major project of a bike. He bought it completely disabled, engine and all. During quarantine he rebuilt the engine, new gaskets, rings, valve seals, basically replaced everything that was meant to be replaced. He gave up after he couldn't get the electrical components, body, starter etc. back together. This is where I come in.

I got everything else it needed to start up and get into riding condition. I was able to turn it over and fire it up a couple of days ago and it started up right a way.... AWESOME! After about 5 seconds of a decent idle RPM it started to push whitish blue smoke out the exhaust. I could smell the oil right away. The hotter the motor got the more smoke it pumped. Then I noticed oil pooling around the spark plug.  It ran off and on for a total of about 5 minutes hoping that the rings just needed to seat in.

I put just under 2.5 quarts of oil in it prior to starting. After idling it, I lost about 4 oz of oil.

My neighbor swears he did everything step by step in the Clymer manual. We chatted about it for a while yesterday and it seems like he followed it pretty well. But something is causing oil to flood the top end.

I'm guessing that the rings were put in incorrectly or the cylinder needed to be bored and piston replaced. I'm going to try and get to it next week.

Am I on the right track?
Do I need to buy a gasket set and replace them,even though they're new.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Major oil burn off
Reply #1 - 04/14/21 at 03:59:28

I believe it is necessary for you to remove the cylinder head cover and see what is inside.

There is a wire mesh screen in the head cover that reduces the amount of oil that can come out the breather, and it is not uncommon that people unfamiliar with this bike forget to put it back in.  When the screen is missing, the engine can push a lot of oil spray out the breather tube.

If you have oil leaking out from the head cover and pooling on the head near the spark plug - it is likely the head cover is not sealed properly.  There is no gasket in this area - the head cover is sealed with RTV sealant.  Get the correct stuff - use Suzukibond or 3Bond or Hondabond.

The copper sealing washers can also result in oi seeping out.  The copper gaskets are soft and smooth when they are new.  After being tightened down they get gouged, and after running the engine the copper hardens.  It is best to install new washers or anneal and smooth the old ones before using them again.  I also use a light coat of sealer on the washers, and anti-seize on the threads just to be sure.  The right front stud acts as the oil return and if it leaks it can allow oil to leak out near the spark plug.

While the head cover is off it is a good time to install a Verslavy aluminum head plug to prevent the leaks the stock rubber plug can cause.  It is also a good time to check your cam chain tensioner and see how far it is extended and what condition your cam chain is in.  You will also be able to check and see what condition the cam and rockers are in.

You could try disconnecting the engine breather tube from the air box and let it vent to the atmosphere to see if the breather is what is causing the oil to burn.

Is there a lot of RTV squeezed out of the joint where the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head join?  If there is - the previous owner may have used too much sealer and the cam may not be getting a proper amount of oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/14/21 at 16:20:59

Jonnyroquette wrote on 04/13/21 at 22:36:37:
I'm a new member. I've searched around for a similar post but couldn't find one that fit my set of symptoms.  
I bought my 96 savage from a neighbor that had given up on this major project of a bike. He bought it completely disabled, engine and all. During quarantine he rebuilt the engine, new gaskets, rings, valve seals, basically replaced everything that was meant to be replaced. He gave up after he couldn't get the electrical components, body, starter etc. back together. This is where I come in.

I got everything else it needed to start up and get into riding condition. I was able to turn it over and fire it up a couple of days ago and it started up right a way.... AWESOME! After about 5 seconds of a decent idle RPM it started to push whitish blue smoke out the exhaust. I could smell the oil right away. The hotter the motor got the more smoke it pumped. Then I noticed oil pooling around the spark plug.  It ran off and on for a total of about 5 minutes hoping that the rings just needed to seat in.

I put just under 2.5 quarts of oil in it prior to starting. After idling it, I lost about 4 oz of oil.

My neighbor swears he did everything step by step in the Clymer manual. We chatted about it for a while yesterday and it seems like he followed it pretty well. But something is causing oil to flood the top end.

I'm guessing that the rings were put in incorrectly or the cylinder needed to be bored and piston replaced. I'm going to try and get to it next week.

Am I on the right track?
Do I need to buy a gasket set and replace them,even though they're new.

At first.. about oil fillings!
Did you fill it up by not whatch the inspection glas on the right side?

And here comes the procedia, make the bike stand at level ground, make sombody climb it and put it straight up, fill it up half way of the oil inspection window!

If you owerfilled the engin, (its bad) then the oil probably gonna end up in other places, like your evaporation emission control systems canister, at best!

Soo at first check the inspection level window!

This engin takes 1,9  quarts for an oil change, 2,1 quarts after an oil change and new oil filter, and up to 2,5 quarts after a totaly overhaul.

IP Logged
Jonnyroquette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/14/21 at 18:32:55

Sorry, I should have clarified. Since the engine had been completely rebuilt, I fitted a new filter and filled 2.1 quarts. I had the bike on a stand and on level ground. The sight glass showed full. I then started the engine and let it run for a couple of seconds, killed it and topped off the oil with another 8 to 10 oz. Started the bike again, let it run for a couple of minutes, it was during this time that the smoke started to really build and the oil began to pool. I have some parts on order. I'm going to pull the valve cover and do some deeper investigating when they arrive. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/14/21 at 19:15:36

I've seen the smoke billow out when someone forgot to install the oil seals on top of the valve stems.

So check for that.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/15/21 at 10:54:47

Before you tear into it
Be sure it's not over filled.
Odds are you're going into it
But slow down and be sure.

You're following someone who failed.
Unless you know the guy is a competent mechanic, you have to be considering he may have overlooked something. You had to finish up the work.

Did you get a shop manual from him?
If he didn't have one, that's pretty telling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/15/21 at 13:24:03

Jonnyroquette wrote on 04/14/21 at 18:32:55:
Sorry, I should have clarified. Since the engine had been completely rebuilt, I fitted a new filter and filled 2.1 quarts. I had the bike on a stand and on level ground. The sight glass showed full. I then started the engine and let it run for a couple of seconds, killed it and topped off the oil with another 8 to 10 oz. Started the bike again, let it run for a couple of minutes, it was during this time that the smoke started to really build and the oil began to pool. I have some parts on order. I'm going to pull the valve cover and do some deeper investigating when they arrive. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find.

Okey, some clarifications anyhow.
You have find the sight glass, and the bike should be in an upright position, like when riding, and then it should be in the midle!

The manual says, run the engin for some minutes, let it rest for some minutes, then check the glass in a upright position.. newer ever on the side stand!

I tryed to do this myself, it was difficult, I almoste got the bike to fall over me!
Soo, I bought my a gismo stand that i put the front wheel, and it hold the bike uppright, mostly to check if my MC shop filled up to the right level.. they did. Smiley

Let say you dont over filled for a time.. one probably need to over fill a lot to get oil smoke?

And then the oil should drop out to the ground frome your exhauste control canisters drain pipes?

In any way.. if one dont overfilled oil, oil smoke is a sign of worn out pistions and piston rings.
Especialy if one need to top up oil often!

IP Logged
Jonnyroquette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/16/21 at 10:35:27

Verslagen, I pulled the head cover this morning to have a peek. The valves on the back side of the motor are sitting in a pool of oil, while the ones up front are clean as a whistle. So, looks like a stem seal issue.. My Neighbor did replaced them but maybe he either damaged them or they were perhaps defective. I'll get them replaced and see if that clears up the problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/16/21 at 13:30:49

I believe there's an oil return on the front left side.
So maybe that's normal.

for small leaks, I do this...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953

WWW   IP Logged
Jonnyroquette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/16/21 at 19:56:06

You're correct. I just looked at the oil flow chart and illustration in the service manual and the oil return is where the front valves are located. I'm going to pull the motor tomorrow and take it all the way down. I've found too many missing o-rings, gaskets, and bolts just in the head cover so there is no telling what else is wacky in there. I'll do a full inventory of what I have and what I need. I have a clymer and the suzuki service manual so I'll try to be a little more thorough than the previous owners. The bike only has 30k on the odometer so unless it was really abused most of the major parts should be in pretty ok shape, I hope Grin

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/17/21 at 15:06:27

Jonnyroquette wrote on 04/16/21 at 19:56:06:
You're correct. I just looked at the oil flow chart and illustration in the service manual and the oil return is where the front valves are located. I'm going to pull the motor tomorrow and take it all the way down. I've found too many missing o-rings, gaskets, and bolts just in the head cover so there is no telling what else is wacky in there. I'll do a full inventory of what I have and what I need. I have a clymer and the suzuki service manual so I'll try to be a little more thorough than the previous owners. The bike only has 30k on the odometer so unless it was really abused most of the major parts should be in pretty ok shape, I hope Grin

Then there is hope for your bike.

Its this, its a simple bike, kind of modern engin.. exept the carburator!

In any way I altso have a clymer.. its a thick book, there are a lot of things on the engin, that must be there.. perticualy after an whole rebuild.

And then think of multi cylinder bikes.. more things!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/22/21 at 15:15:31

Hey Jonny.. no new reports!
How its going?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home