Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think (Read 643 times)
niceast
Ex Member

Re: Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think
Reply #60 - 05/04/21 at 11:40:15

(0) talking ill about about someone is a bad habit, stop it.
(1) So a main jet and you consider that a motorcycle half way in the junk yard?
(2) I am the one who shared this website with you and Offer many ways to help.
(3) my driver had to travel a lot further than you are assuming.
(4) you say your not going to ride above highway speed so this whole thread was to be a story teller.
(5) I mark the throttle oct 11, 2020 at 8:31pm I have the video, didn’t figure it was a bad zone until I took it for a test ride right after, but yeah the drill main jet worked for me. And I tuned it in the middle of winter near 40 degrees

Weird a new main jet fix it? You fixed it though.

Like many other members say the bike is great for below 65mph cruising. Even you confirm you don’t like ride the higher speeds.

No one wants to read all of that. Keep it short and simple.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #61 - 05/04/21 at 11:54:35

niceast wrote on 05/04/21 at 11:40:15:
(0) talking ill about about someone is a bad habit, stop it.
(1) So a main jet and you consider that a motorcycle half way in the junk yard?
(2) I am the one who shared this website with you and Offer many ways to help.
(3) my driver had to travel a lot further than you are assuming.
(4) you say your not going to ride above highway speed so this whole thread was to be a story teller.
(5) I mark the throttle oct 11, 2020 at 8:31pm I have the video, didn’t figure it was a bad zone until I took it for a test ride right after, but yeah the drill main jet worked for me. And I tuned it in the middle of winter near 40 degrees

Weird a new main jet fix it? You fixed it though.

Like many other members say the bike is great for below 65mph cruising. Even you confirm you don’t like ride the higher speeds.

No one wants to read all of that. Keep it short and simple.

I told you, don’t contact me. Expect to hear from law enforcement. I will be filing a police report today.

'01 Metallic Glacial Blue Savage LS650 | Greenhorn grease monkey
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #62 - 05/04/21 at 13:18:04

I remember niceast and I actually wondered if you wound up with his bike.

I wasn't impressed with his hackery and he basically told me to stick it up my tushy.  lol  

ohiomoto wrote on 12/03/20 at 19:09:39:
Please don't take this as being negative, but something isn't right.  

Needing a main jet that large to get over 60 mph???  It just doesn't add up. (If I had to guess it would be because the needle isn't OE and is probably also much larger than stock.)

For reference my bike will do an easy 75-80mph (but not much after that) on a 147.5 main.  Or it may be a 145 main?  I don't remember exactly anymore, but I know I'm running a little leaner than most on here.  It had a 155 main in there when I bought it and it was a turd.  

My point is that you should be able to get 90-95% full performance from stock jetting.  If you can't do that then you only have a solution for the symptom and not the problem.  

But if you are happy with what you have now, then more power to you!  Smiley

---------------

niceast wrote on 12/16/20 at 19:14:43:
My background:
Mechanical engineering masters and undergraduate.

Justification:
Motorcycle was designed before 1986. A time before FEA and advance computer calculations. No where near today’s capabilities. Precision of motorcycle efficiency were hand calculated. So I can sleep easy, drilling the main jet orifices. If you wish to challenge please present 4-5 page research paper on a study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics + 10 scholarly references/journals/articles that predate 1986. Must show your own work and using FEA software for your original examples. Late work not accepted.

---------------------

Well...you just went from needing help to an expert in a hurry (and you're still wrong Grin).  But it's working for you so carry on.   Smiley

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #63 - 05/04/21 at 13:21:07

And for the record I have gone over 85 on my bike and 270lbs (I get bigger every year.  Sad  )  It takes a little time to stretch its legs once you get over 75 mph.  My guess is that it might go 90...downhill.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #64 - 05/04/21 at 13:25:48

Oh yeah Ohio...I do remember that thread. I also remember Niceast acting as a complete asshat towards the end of that thread.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #65 - 05/04/21 at 13:34:15

ohiomoto wrote on 05/04/21 at 13:18:04:
I remember niceast and I actually wondered if you wound up with his bike.

I wasn't impressed with his hackery and he basically told me to stick it up my tushy.  lol  

ohiomoto wrote on 12/03/20 at 19:09:39:
Please don't take this as being negative, but something isn't right.  

Needing a main jet that large to get over 60 mph???  It just doesn't add up. (If I had to guess it would be because the needle isn't OE and is probably also much larger than stock.)

For reference my bike will do an easy 75-80mph (but not much after that) on a 147.5 main.  Or it may be a 145 main?  I don't remember exactly anymore, but I know I'm running a little leaner than most on here.  It had a 155 main in there when I bought it and it was a turd.  

My point is that you should be able to get 90-95% full performance from stock jetting.  If you can't do that then you only have a solution for the symptom and not the problem.  

But if you are happy with what you have now, then more power to you!  Smiley

---------------

niceast wrote on 12/16/20 at 19:14:43:
My background:
Mechanical engineering masters and undergraduate.

Justification:
Motorcycle was designed before 1986. A time before FEA and advance computer calculations. No where near today’s capabilities. Precision of motorcycle efficiency were hand calculated. So I can sleep easy, drilling the main jet orifices. If you wish to challenge please present 4-5 page research paper on a study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics + 10 scholarly references/journals/articles that predate 1986. Must show your own work and using FEA software for your original examples. Late work not accepted.

---------------------

Well...you just went from needing help to an expert in a hurry (and you're still wrong Grin).  But it's working for you so carry on.   Smiley

Yeah, now you know the type of guy he is. A dishonorable man.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #66 - 05/04/21 at 13:36:12

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/04/21 at 13:25:48:
Oh yeah Ohio...I do remember that thread. I also remember Niceast acting as a complete asshat towards the end of that thread.

I could’ve used you guys to be warned about him. He should take his own advice and stop “speaking ill of people.”

It’s a bad habit. Wink

That’s ok though, I just got back from the police station. They tried to call him but he has a google number (sketchy, lol) if he keeps on they’ll knock on his door.  Grin

And he thinks just the main jet was fixed. I won’t tell him what else. Maybe his big mechanics brain can figure it out?

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #67 - 05/04/21 at 14:03:54

ohiomoto wrote on 05/04/21 at 13:21:07:
And for the record I have gone over 85 on my bike and 270lbs (I get bigger every year.  Sad  )  It takes a little time to stretch its legs once you get over 75 mph.  My guess is that it might go 90...downhill.  

Yeah she was slow getting to 80..and I was like “that’s great and all but I’m running out of straight road here!”  Grin

I think sitting for (what seller told me) 8 years may have an effect on its performance? It’s also 20. So it might not get up and go like it used to. Then again I’m unsure of bikes. And I’m dealing with the carb and what I’m having to deal with....as you have seen. So I’m always trying my best. I don’t know if he ever changed the petcock to a LEGIT real raptor one or not or was too boar headed and full of pride to even acknowledge anyone’s advice...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #68 - 05/04/21 at 14:13:56

Yes, sitting for 8 years could cause all sorts of problems.  That's why I said he only fixed the symptom by drilling out the jet.   It might have got the bike running but something was likely to "give".

Here's my take (not knowing what else you replaced)...drilling the jet got the bike running.  Running the bike eventually pulled enough fuel through the carb to clear some sort of blockage and then it ran like poop.  

Or...it could have been a million other things. lol

But it sounds like it's running good now.  I would be interested in what all it took if you ever decide to share.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #69 - 05/05/21 at 17:29:07

Well, I just sold my Savage...

I made sure I was honest about the issues and what I knew OF the bike and what I had experienced. I really wanted to be condor about the bike because I didn’t want them to get ripped off like I did. However if there’s other problems, i wasn’t aware of them. I was just told what the seller told me and what I found on the bike. The carb issue. They were up for the challenge of making it work 100% and seemed pretty satisfied with their purchase. I didn't want to be like the guy who sold to me.

The upside is I made a profit because I DID fix it to a degree and I’m happy about that.
I will miss Pearl. But she was a little too sassy for me. So it’s time to move on. I am sad that I no longer have a motorcycle, but am happy that someone else gets to experience a savage and she will be taken care of. Hopefully I can get the bike of my dreams now!

Thank you everyone for your help and kindness. It really meant a lot and I couldn’t have even fixed the bike without you.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 05/06/21 at 13:44:33

Its this, you have tried and then sold the bike.
You have probably learned something.. and even about carburators.
In any way you are a big guy/heavy weigt, it seldome compromise the top speed, it only take more time.

Its come to the purpose of owning a bike and in with conditions one like to ride.

In any way.. Im retired, moste of my friends too.. and some have Harleys, others got Ducatis or Triumph and one have a Suzuki GSX 1400.. he want a muscel bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX1400

Its still this.. whats the purpose of riding a bike?

And I can put up some sugestions.. its a nice thing to do, ( you have alredy experianced this), comuting in good wheather, (or bad) riding whit friends.. or to make new friends that altso like to go biking.

To that, biking is a kind of cultural thing altso.. style, ( wona look like a "real biker"), purpose, your friends goes long trips on heavy cruisers, or juste shows up and "shows of" to make everone other to be amased.. and there are more to that!

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #71 - 05/06/21 at 19:31:24

Zepp wrote on 05/06/21 at 13:44:33:
Its this, you have tried and then sold the bike.
You have probably learned something.. and even about carburators.
In any way you are a big guy/heavy weigt, it seldome compromise the top speed, it only take more time.

Its come to the purpose of owning a bike and in with conditions one like to ride.

In any way.. Im retired, moste of my friends too.. and some have Harleys, others got Ducatis or Triumph and one have a Suzuki GSX 1400.. he want a muscel bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX1400

Its still this.. whats the purpose of riding a bike?

And I can put up some sugestions.. its a nice thing to do, ( you have alredy experianced this), comuting in good wheather, (or bad) riding whit friends.. or to make new friends that altso like to go biking.

To that, biking is a kind of cultural thing altso.. style, ( wona look like a "real biker"), purpose, your friends goes long trips on heavy cruisers, or juste shows up and "shows of" to make everone other to be amased.. and there are more to that!

I have not many friends, if I’m honest. Not because I’m unpopular or a loser, but making friends as an adult is hard because of scheduling. None that ride and none that really are near me. I want a bike I can do a few trips on and commute with!  I just like to wear my protective gear. Not leather or look like a biker. I’m not into clubs, gangs or cliques. Though I think it would be fun to ride with someone one day. That would be a dream!
I actually put down a deposit on a 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT today with the money I got from the bike, I also paid off a loan. So in august, I will be getting my new bike. If anyone would like, I can post about how it feels and the concept and experience of DCT? If they are interested of course…I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. But I know you’re a curious lot haha. And I don’t want anyone thinking that I chose this bike over the other because it’s better or something. They’re both good bikes! I’ve sat on the bike I’m buying (not the exact one, but the same model) but haven’t ridden it. It is as light weight as the Savage. The rebel I sat on sold before I sold my bike and they are so popular they keep selling out, hence the deposit and two month wait  :'(

But if I can contain at least a little bit of patience, hopefully I’ll be hitting the road again soon.  Grin

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #72 - 05/06/21 at 20:51:28

Congrats on the big Rebel.  

They say "You meet the niceast people on a Honda" or something like that.   Wink

I have never felt the need for a large displacement bike (as long as we aren't talking about a touring bike) but a large Honda did catch my eye recently.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #73 - 05/07/21 at 06:08:02

Congrats on the Rebel...great choice. Yeah, post up your thoughts on the Rebel.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #74 - 05/07/21 at 10:56:01

Good luck with your new Rebel Retro.

Ohiomoto, what is that thing?  Wow!  That's a slick ride.  What model is it?  Got any additional info?  I'm lovin that thing.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 02:10:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.