Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think (Read 643 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think
Reply #45 - 04/14/21 at 17:42:06

I think DC motive (Spamy on here) might do kits too.  

You will be further ahead to get a kit or poney up for a carb that was known to be good.  Salvage yards like Pinwall often get wrecked bikes that were running before they part them out.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #46 - 04/20/21 at 14:02:55

Took the carb apart and gave it a good clean. Now just waiting on some new jets to come. Float adjustment is still tricky for me I have no clue what I’m doing.

'01 Metallic Glacial Blue Savage LS650 | Greenhorn grease monkey
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #47 - 04/20/21 at 14:04:43

Oh! And when I took the air flow screw out there were bits of brass and dirt inside of there. I’m guessing that might be the culprit when it came to dirt. Fingers crossed for when the jets get here!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #48 - 04/21/21 at 06:16:52

The little bits of brass can be a problem. For the sake of good order I would flush all of the circuits of the carm. Get a can of carb cleaner and use the little red wand. Insert the wand into each circuit (orifice or hole) and give it a one or two second squirt.

I usually do this over disposable roasting pan, this way I can see what came out of the carb and it contains the mess. Also - YOU MUST WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. It's hard to anticipate where the out flow will come from.

Now that you have had the carb apart and have had a chance to see how the float works, pay attention to how the float "tang" contacts the needle valve. Just as the float makes contact with the valve - just before the valve begins to move into the carb body - is where you want to take your measurement.

Once you have your "ah-ha" moment you'll realize just how simple the measurement is.

You got this. You're doing a great job so far.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #49 - 04/21/21 at 06:32:24

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/21/21 at 06:16:52:
The little bits of brass can be a problem. For the sake of good order I would flush all of the circuits of the carm. Get a can of carb cleaner and use the little red wand. Insert the wand into each circuit (orifice or hole) and give it a one or two second squirt.

I usually do this over disposable roasting pan, this way I can see what came out of the carb and it contains the mess. Also - YOU MUST WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. It's hard to anticipate where the out flow will come from.

Now that you have had the carb apart and have had a chance to see how the float works, pay attention to how the float "tang" contacts the needle valve. Just as the float makes contact with the valve - just before the valve begins to move into the carb body - is where you want to take your measurement.

Once you have your "ah-ha" moment you'll realize just how simple the measurement is.

You got this. You're doing a great job so far.

Thanks, I already did all of that days ago. Besides the measurement, I have yet to do that. thanks for the advice. It’s like a small puzzle lol. Hopefully my jets come today.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #50 - 05/02/21 at 06:32:06

Bike is fixed! The top speed is incredibly underwhelming. I hit about 75mph max, full throttle, though I am a heavy rider. I’m going to upgrade to a higher CC bike so it can accommodate me. It’s been a journey, that’s for sure.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 05/02/21 at 10:11:18

Bike maybe running but it's not fixed.
You should be able to get 80+ on the flat.
I got that going uphill.

WWW   IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #52 - 05/02/21 at 11:03:21

Perhaps I shall tinker some more to get it right, then.
But you have to take into account cargo and dead weight (me).
Very very very nearly 300LBs dead weight.
Otherwise, it rides AWESOME!!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 05/02/21 at 16:02:09

I don't think 50 lbs will make go that much slower.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #54 - 05/03/21 at 05:19:34

Retro,

The bike should be able to exceed 80 mph. But if that is a speed that you regularly ride, then you are right, the Savage isn't the right bike for you. In my opinion, the LS650 is great for 50-60mph back roads and the occasional 60-70mph use. There are many here who flog their bikes at 70+ all day long - and I'm sure they'll take their turn to tell me how I'm wrong - but the Savage just sucks on the highway. I own a lot of bikes, and have owned over 30 over the years, and the Savage would be my last choice for high-speed highway use.

Get a more capable bike and enjoy the ride.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #55 - 05/03/21 at 21:06:50

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/03/21 at 05:19:34:
Retro,

The bike should be able to exceed 80 mph. But if that is a speed that you regularly ride, then you are right, the Savage isn't the right bike for you. In my opinion, the LS650 is great for 50-60mph back roads and the occasional 60-70mph use. There are many here who flog their bikes at 70+ all day long - and I'm sure they'll take their turn to tell me how I'm wrong - but the Savage just sucks on the highway. I own a lot of bikes, and have owned over 30 over the years, and the Savage would be my last choice for high-speed highway use.

Get a more capable bike and enjoy the ride.

It is great for back roads! That’s where I take it. I’ve laid a couple hundreds miles on it in like two days. It’s awesome to ride, I have rode it every day since it’s been out of the garage. it really is a phenomenal bike...for someone else. I haven’t had a single issue with it since the carb has been rejetted and I don’t flog the bike at 75. And whoever does, I’m surprised their engine isn’t blown. I hit it once to test its top mph and rolled back the throttle because a few things: tickets, crashes and I’d like to be safe. Hitting 75 on a back road with a bunch of hazards like driveways and intersections is not safe. Now it could’ve been the terrain I was on, what I was carrying, or just conditions. I am not going to test it again, honestly. I don’t wanna die trying to push a bike to 80mph. I don’t go near 75, ever on a regular basis. No one should unless they are on a highway. Yes, I’m that kind of person. I do not tolerate “Jackassery” it’s just not my style. I’ve never taken the savage on a highway, and never will. Honestly, no joking here, I’m done. The seller has pissed me off because he lied to me (which I found out he is stalking me on this website. Which is...creepy and he’s a coward for doing what he did and a pathetic human being.) about it working fine, and having to deal with the bull crap that I’ve dealt with? I’m done. I have literally been covered in gasoline because I was trying to set the float and test the levels, my jet got lost in the mail (not that it’s the senders fault, the USPS treats mail like it’s just some kind of ‘who can damage it the most’ contest and they’re the apes trying to wrangle it), some other bad stuff happened in my life and I have a LOT on my plate. I refuse to stress out over this bike. I’ve gotten fuel in my eyes trying to do the tests that have been recommended here (not saying it’s bad advice but it went hilariously wrong for me! We had a bunch of laughs, honestly. Like I said, a journey.) to test float levels and it’s just set me to the point where I have set the float on the carb, I rejetted it, I took the first test ride...and it felt great. the bike runs great for me to practice on and then move on to something else. That’s what I bought it for. Not to be a speed demon, not to do serious stuff on it, and I don’t plan to keep it forever. I just bought it for weekend rides and practice, and I couldn’t even do that because the seller... because of that issue it left such a bad taste in my mouth I just don’t want to deal with it anymore and I will never buy a used bike again. It’s like a bad omen honestly. I’ve dumped enough money and time into something that I thought I wouldn’t get scammed on and would meet my personal expectations in the end and it didn’t and that’s the chapter closed.

It takes a LOT to make me throw my hands up and walk away on something, especially a bike. And I own a Chinese motorcycle that I built myself and did all of the engine work myself and it runs flawlessly for god sakes. I have had a few hiccups on the China bike because I learn as I go, but I got through it. I am totally fine with it because I never gave up. Because I’m stubborn as HECK and it’s hard for me to let something go. But I just can’t right now. Due to reasons that I’m not willing to put up with and my personal life, I’m not going to stress over it.

The only good thing that came out of this is that I learned more mechanic tricks. And for that I’m grateful. I am forever grateful for the help and education I have received on this forum. But things turned out different, and I hate that. I hate that I had a bad experience with this bike. And I don’t care to complain or be a Karen or whatever the Internet says, which it’s just that, the Internet, but that is the brutal truth. And if someone is frustrated or annoyed with me because I decide what I decide, well, that’s their problem and they can get right over it and focus on their own issues.

That’s that. I’m gonna go shopping for a new bike now.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #56 - 05/03/21 at 23:40:22

75 mph is only about 5000 rpm, you aren't going to hurt it at that speed. With a stock engine I don't think you can even get it reach 6500 rpm in 5th gear unless you have an exceptionally good running bike. So don't worry that you are revving it too hard on the highway, it is turning slower than you think it is.

IP Logged
niceast
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 05/04/21 at 09:58:56

So it was just the main jet?

The bike was tuned during winter the air was colder and denser.

« Last Edit: 05/04/21 at 11:13:31 by niceast »  
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #58 - 05/04/21 at 10:59:10

niceast wrote on 05/04/21 at 09:58:56:
Lets talk
lets focus on the positive, your seller:
(1) lowered asking price, over 600, to your offer
(2) delivered to your door step over 200 miles, at no cost
(3) had no previously problem before changing hands
(4) showed up in full motorcycle gear to conduct a demo ride (none was requested)
(5) answered questions about motorcycle even after been threaten to be sued.
(6) shared video channel to share knowledge about motorcycle.

Finally, the stalker speaks.
Actually, you are lying now.
For other forum members: I DO NOT condone calling anyone out but I don’t want anyone else being scammed or lied to by this person. Here’s what’s happening. Mods I apologize in advance, but lord help me with this one.

1- your price was set high and you knew the bike would sell for a cheap price, as long as you had your money, you didn’t care. You got the bike for free. It was just a profit to you, Jordan. You were lucky you got the money you did. I paid about $500 to darn much for it, too.

2- Distance traveled from your address to mine: 98 miles round trip. IN WHICH I PAID YOU AND YOUR FRIEND $50 TO DO. So no, it wasn’t in kind heart, it was just more money for you.!I know where you live, your address is on the documents. Google it! You wanted to get rid of the bike badly and you knew, you and your friend, Alex, KNEW that this was your chance to sell so you took it. You did it for your own benefit. And when you arrived, the bike was rocking back and forth like it was on a ship. You didn’t even strap it down properly!

3- You made it seem like there were no previous problems, but looking back at the description of the throttle on the marketplace post “throttle is finicky about being smooth” and when I asked about it you said “oh that just means it’s not a race bike and isn’t going to go fast” and quickly took it out of the description of the marketplace , the markings on said throttle that you made that indicate exactly where it would sputter and looking back at your videos proves otherwise. Stop trying to get out of taking accountability. Stop being stubborn, stop lying it just makes you look like more of a coward. I found bits of brass in the carburetor, remnants from the jet you so recklessly drilled to fit. You fixed the bike to “good enough” and sold it. That’s exactly what you did. Now you’ve moved on to another bike that you will ride for a bit, sell to some poor soul when it’s half in the junk yard and count the bills as you walk away. You are a scam artist.

4- showed up, said you wanted to ride it but decided otherwise! wonder why?? To get in full get up but then you meet me and you get too nervous to even ride the bike because you knew I would find out about it. You didn’t offer a demo, a confident seller would. I rode it in my yard, everything was fine, but of course I didn’t go above 10mph. when we got to my house I told you you can ride it, you got antsy and you declined. You declined to ride the motorcycle AFTER and BEFORE it was sold. I said “come on, take it for a ride” I encouraged you. you backed up and said “no” while fumbling for words. I didn’t ride it because that would’ve been illegal. No one is forcing you to ride or not ride your own motorcycle. You made that decision yourself, and to lie about it is some kind of sad.

5- you answered questions about it BEFORE when I found out the problem, when I threatened to take you to court because you sold me a lemon, you only offered to actually take action and help AFTER I mentioned the word court. We set up a date for me to bring it to you, however something came up and I forgot about it. I apologized and you threw a hissy fit and was like “it’s your problem now” so I said ok. I’m gonna fix the bike and get it in a better condition than you had it and make sure it runs properly. Also, I wouldn’t let you near this bike with the knowledge of you that I know now. An actual fb message I sent to you after trying to blame me for doing something: “ Let me break it down. I get the bike delivered, you get it off the truck, I ride it in my yard to make sure it runs. I take your Facebook post, word of mouth and trust it. I don’t go down the road because I don’t know this bike and it has no plates. Seems like a reputable thing when you have the maintenance log and you seem like an honest dude. When I finally can ride it in a safe environment, I hit close to 50 and it starts sputtering. I said “no problem maybe it’s the gas.” That is when I contacted you. My guess is as good as yours, I have not done any work to the bike at all. I do not know the carb so I didn’t touch it, yes I asked questions about the carb but have not touched the carburetor or adjusted anything. The most I did was take the seat off, then I stopped because I didn’t want to mess anything up. For legal reasons and for the sake of messing anything up.” I can post the ENTIRETY of our exchange in words if I need to. I have nothing to hide. I tucked away the court talk and was WILLING to work with you and hear you out but you’ve pissed me off to the point of no return, son. But that’s alright for me because i fixed the bike. Your damage has been done. All you care about is protecting your name, Jordan. You don’t care about the bike. You don’t care how you scammed me. You don’t care about anything but yourself and how you’re represented.

6. NO ONE SHOULD FOLLOW YOUR VIDEOS. They offer HORRIBLE advice like drilling into jets. You think you’ve accomplished something when you’ve done it wrong and refuse to acknowledge those mistakes.

And to add on to this, you are now stalking me. Stop stalking me, it’s WEIRD. It’s CREEPY. STOP. If you try to contact me, even commenting on my threads, on here, on Facebook, anywhere, I will file against you legally, man. I am not joking. Stop it. You know my address and are unpredictable. You could have serious mental issues for all I know.

You are a scammer and you thought you had the best of somebody but you got found out and then you lied about it and now you’re just doing damage control to cover your own name and stalking. Stop it. Accept your mistakes and leave me alone.

Edit: now you’ve backtracked and edited your post. Thank god for the quoting format of replying on this forum to show your shadiness. You seriously just messed up. You needed up getting exposed on a public forum and embarrassed yourself. By the way, you guys might remember him from this exact same problem thread by him: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1605231159/0

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #59 - 05/04/21 at 11:13:03

Now, dealing with scammers and abrasive know it all aside, I’m proud to say the bike hit 80mph today. So it seems to be working as normal. I could’ve gone faster but I honestly wasn’t comfortable and was also running out of road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:44:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.