Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think (Read 643 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think
Reply #15 - 04/13/21 at 07:45:29

OK, good you have an updated petcock. We need one one piece of information before we can eliminate the petcock. On the right side of the carb, on the forward end there is a hose fitting. That fitting should have a rubber or plastic cap on it. If the fitting is exposed/open, you will need to block that. If it is blocked, we can move on.

Do not rejet the bike just yet. A main jet being off by a size or two will not result in a bike that will not rev out. However, a drilled main is what size? Moreover, a jet should have a near-polished ID. Did the previous owner use a hand drill, a press, a ream...we don't know. Let's inspect a few static items before we go chasing unknowns. If you get the bike running well, you "may" want to swap out the drilled jet. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust and/or airfilter on the bike? That kind of helps to zero-in on the correct main jet. But like I said...there are other things to check first.

A fouled spark plug is "unlikely", but it is possible. For the sake of good order you could replace the plug and eliminate a variable.

To inspect the diaphragm you can just simply rotate the carb. To rotate the carb you can remove the throttle cable and fuel line. Loosen the forward and rear clamps and twist the carb to the right side of the bike. From there you can remove the top plate of the carb and inspect the slide area. If the diaphragm is damaged or dry, it gets replaced. There is no way to repair this.

Let us know what you find.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #16 - 04/13/21 at 08:11:27

Tocsik wrote on 04/13/21 at 07:34:09:
Start with a bit of reading:

Things every savage newb should know...:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344399573

A guide for almost everything possible on the Savage:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Carb cleanup:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

Lancer's place for parts:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006

Thanks for the info.  I’m just trying to get other riders input and help, it’s why I posted.

'01 Metallic Glacial Blue Savage LS650 | Greenhorn grease monkey
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/13/21 at 08:13:30

retro wrote on 04/13/21 at 07:27:44:
I just went for a small ride with the battery screws tightened and the reserve (“prime”) on. No difference!

And how about the airfilter?

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #18 - 04/13/21 at 08:27:11

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/13/21 at 07:45:29:
OK, good you have an updated petcock. We need one one piece of information before we can eliminate the petcock. On the right side of the carb, on the forward end there is a hose fitting. That fitting should have a rubber or plastic cap on it. If the fitting is exposed/open, you will need to block that. If it is blocked, we can move on.

Do not rejet the bike just yet. A main jet being off by a size or two will not result in a bike that will not rev out. However, a drilled main is what size? Moreover, a jet should have a near-polished ID. Did the previous owner use a hand drill, a press, a ream...we don't know. Let's inspect a few static items before we go chasing unknowns. If you get the bike running well, you "may" want to swap out the drilled jet. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust and/or airfilter on the bike? That kind of helps to zero-in on the correct main jet. But like I said...there are other things to check first.

A fouled spark plug is "unlikely", but it is possible. For the sake of good order you could replace the plug and eliminate a variable.

To inspect the diaphragm you can just simply rotate the carb. To rotate the carb you can remove the throttle cable and fuel line. Loosen the forward and rear clamps and twist the carb to the right side of the bike. From there you can remove the top plate of the carb and inspect the slide area. If the diaphragm is damaged or dry, it gets replaced. There is no way to repair this.

Let us know what you find.

He used a hand drill. He has a YouTube channel. Here is the carb rebuild video https://youtu.be/CvMbrAylLjE

Also, this is pictures of sides. Btw when I tried to take the carb off before (I barely touched it, but oil came out of the clamp you see in the picture. I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

F8D4793C-1563-48B0-BAFD-7B3C0BB76841.jpeg

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #19 - 04/13/21 at 08:28:01

Zepp wrote on 04/13/21 at 08:13:30:
I just went for a small ride with the battery screws tightened and the reserve (“prime”) on. No difference!

Wouldn’t know how the heck to get to the thing

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 04/13/21 at 09:07:54

OK, I watched that video...painful.

The main jet is way too large and its bore is a disaster. For example, if you needed a 150 main jet, the bore is 1.5mm or 0.0590". The gent who rebuilt the carb used a 0.0625 bit, or 1.5875mm or equivalent to a 160 jet. But he also ham-fisted the drilling and made a mess of the bore. I'm guessing that it's closer to a 165 jet with a disturbed flow. I'd buy a 150 main jet and replace that buggered-up main.

Also, I did see that the rebuilder checked the float height...never...when reassembling that carb. The float height should be 1.06" to 1.114". This will need to be rechecked and adjusted if necessary.

« Last Edit: 04/13/21 at 11:04:25 by Gary_in_NJ »  

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #21 - 04/13/21 at 10:35:17

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/13/21 at 09:07:54:

The main jet is way too large and its bore is a disaster. For example, if you needed a 150 main jet, the bore is 1.5mm or 0.0590". The gent who rebuilt the carb used a 0.0625 bit, or 1.5875mm or equivalent to a 160 jet. But he also ham-fisted the drilling and made a mess of the bore. I'm guessing that it's closer to a 165 jet with a disturbed flow. I'd buy a 150 main jet and replace that buggered-up main.

Also, I did see that the rebuilder checked the float height...ever...when reassembling that carb. The float height should be 1.06" to 1.114". This will need to be rechecked and adjusted if necessary.

Yeah, I’m thinking maybe it was the culprit of all this...I have a 150 main jet in my hand. The bike came with lots of other stuff. Including new parts and old parts. One of them was the bag of jets he bought (idk where from) and used. I think. It says “D150” on the side of the jet.

Also, I just got my tags today!

I also need to know the tire sizes that fit this bike as mine are old...and the best priced ones..lowest, actually.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/13/21 at 11:38:24

retro wrote on 04/13/21 at 08:28:01:
Zepp wrote on 04/13/21 at 08:13:30:

Wouldn’t know how the heck to get to the thing

Forget about the airfilter a time, focus on the carburator and all the jets!

One take the main seat of and then the right side panel.. and then you can take the airfilter box side panel of! Huh

And im 99% safe that its not the famous vacum petkock problem anyhow!

I got this 2000 Savage, and the original vacum petkock is working, I think its a nice thing to have, it stops the flow of gas if the engin is of.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/13/21 at 11:50:08

retro wrote on 04/13/21 at 10:35:17:

Also, I did see that the rebuilder checked the float height...ever...when reassembling that carb. The float height should be 1.06" to 1.114". This will need to be rechecked and adjusted if necessary.

Yeah, I’m thinking maybe it was the culprit of all this...I have a 150 main jet in my hand. The bike came with lots of other stuff. Including new parts and old parts. One of them was the bag of jets he bought (idk where from) and used. I think. It says “D150” on the side of the jet.

I also need to know the tire sizes that fit this bike as mine are old...and the best priced ones..lowest, actually.

I altso have a carburator problem I think, but it only appears on first startup at spring, my exhauste get bluer every spring. Sad

The tires is ;
Front tire size      100/90-19M/C 57H
Rear tire size      140/80-15M/C 67H

https://bikeswiki.com/Suzuki_LS650_Savage_(Boulevard_S40)

I got 150/80 on my rear tire!
And the brand is Bridgstone Exedra MAX for both.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #24 - 04/13/21 at 12:00:06

Zepp wrote on 04/13/21 at 11:50:08:
retro wrote on 04/13/21 at 10:35:17:

I altso have a carburator problem I think, but it only appears on first startup at spring, my exhauste get bluer every spring. Sad

The tires is ;
Front tire size      100/90-19M/C 57H
Rear tire size      140/80-15M/C 67H

https://bikeswiki.com/Suzuki_LS650_Savage_(Boulevard_S40)

I got 150/80 on my rear tire!
And the brand is Bridgstone Exedra MAX for both.

I’ve yet to see anything coming out of that tail pipe besides a back fire. Hopefully nothing will! Sorry about that, friend! Bikes are fussy during certain seasons, my old one is. Thanks for the tire info! Now to get some and pay someone to put them on because I don’t want to mess with that 😅

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #25 - 04/13/21 at 16:10:33

Also, I did see that the rebuilder checked the float height...never...when reassembling that carb. The float height should be 1.06" to 1.114". This will need to be rechecked and adjusted if necessary.

I put my big gal panties on and took the carb off. It was an interesting process. Annoying and I’ll probably need help getting it back on.
But he had a 130 in there. I keep trying to get it out but it keeps just going and going and screwing and screwing moving nowhere. Idk what I did. (my fault..I don’t know how to get it unstuck.) but the diaphragm is flawless. The carb is very clean. Everything seems to be in order. No clogs or anything. I need to get this get out ASAP!

The float, I’m not sure how to measure it. I never had to do it.

« Last Edit: 04/13/21 at 22:29:48 by retro »  

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #26 - 04/14/21 at 12:29:37

Ok I got the stuck jet out. Went from under the inside of the carb and pushed up on the other ref and screwed out the main jet, it’s a 130. I don’t have the right jets on hand so I need to order some ASAP. The other jet is a 70. The one under the diaphragm. Can’t remember what the other screw was.

Diaphragm is fine, peacock is fine. Everything is fine. Carb is very clean. I’m not sure about the float as I’m not too sure about how to go about measuring it. I also need to be told how to properly screw in the main jet. How many turns out that is.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #27 - 04/14/21 at 12:50:50

To measure the float height you need to balance the float to the point where it is just touching the needle valve, and then measure the gap between the flange of the float bowel to the closest point of the float itself. Check the How-to section, there are photos.

Typically the air jets under the diaphragm are left in place.

The jets are threaded, so just like a bolt or screw the are screwed into place until they are well seated. Keep in mind that the jets themselves are brass and will strip very easily. So when it bottoms out...stop turning.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #28 - 04/14/21 at 13:05:17

For the life of me, I can’t find that float guide with pictures, or any guide.

I’m gonna take some pics hang on

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #29 - 04/14/21 at 13:35:24

https://imgur.com/a/9PwkxYk

Let me know if you can’t see the album!