Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think (Read 643 times)
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think
04/12/21 at 16:39:52

Hi fellow riders.

Bought myself a 2001 ls650 and this is the first "real" motorcycle I have owned. the seller didn't mention that when it go full throttle, it'll sputter like it's running out of gas. It won't go past 55mph, or 4000rpms without doing the same thing. Yes, the petcock is on. The choke is off. Just going to get those questions right out of the way LOL (recently got it up to 65 after playing with the idle and a/f screw, but the issue is still there)...it had sad for 8 years and seller restored it to running status, gas tank is clean, new sparks, valve adjustment...and improved some more stuff. However, this is the main issue here and i need it fixed..he adjusted valves so I'm not sure its that.

Just a bit of background of me, I built my own motorcycle, it was a china bike but nonetheless, it is a motorcycle. I have switched carbs in that motorcycle but the carb on the 650, I am scared to touch. I don't want to mess anything up because I don't know this carb. I'm a bit wary. I just wanted an input from savage riders.

From what I have experienced in the past, with my own bike that I built, it all points to the carb, i've also talked to a couple mechanics and they think the same. However, it's intimidating and I don't know where to start to fix or look...thus I signed up here. Mechanics, as anyone know is expensive. I wonder if this is a problem i can fix myself?

The guy rebuilt the carb. maybe some gunk got in there between then and now?

He also experienced this issue and decided to drill a bigger hole in the main jet..apparently, it worked for him....I still can't decide whether it's genius or the stupidest thing I've heard of.

I was going to just buy a new carb, which is what I would like to do but I can't exactly just do that. Carb replacement recommendations? what carb can I buy that I can just simply put in, adjust to my elevation and what the bike wants and ride on?

It also stinks sometimes and backfired but recently I played with the a/f screw and its a little better at not backfiring.

'01 Metallic Glacial Blue Savage LS650 | Greenhorn grease monkey
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think
Reply #1 - 04/12/21 at 17:06:40

Does the bike still have the OEM vacuum fuel petcock?  

Have you checked the condition of the diaphragm in the carb. A slight tear I’ll not allow enough vacuum for the slide to go to the top.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #2 - 04/12/21 at 18:56:56

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/12/21 at 17:06:40:

Have you checked the condition of the diaphragm in the carb. A slight tear I’ll not allow enough vacuum for the slide to go to the top.

It has a new petcock and the owner before me put it in. I have not checked the diaphragm of the carb, as I’m a little scared if I take it off I won’t be able to put it back...I don’t know how to take the battery and casing for battery off so I can freely move the carb about. Is there a video on how to removed and reinsert the carb? Or tutorial..I want to try but I’m scared I’ll  tear an air hose to the air box or the flange..lol.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #3 - 04/12/21 at 19:02:47

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/12/21 at 17:06:40:

Also, if there is a tear, how can I repair it?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 04/12/21 at 20:11:12

I'm with Gary.  Petcock and slide first.  The stock vaccume operated petcocks often fail and some aftermarket options leave a lot to be desired.  The prefered pectock is a genuine Yamaha raptor unit.

The slide is pulled open with vacuum which is where the diaphragm comes in.  If it is torn or isn't seated properly it can fail to fully open the slide.  Same thing if the slide is worn or dirty.

I would look at those items first and confirm the jetting just to make sure it's reasonably close to stock.  Stock jetting is known to work and it's good place to start when trying to get things operational.  Performance jetting comes later if desired.

And just to confirm, does the bike have the stock airbox, and exhaust?  Have you checked the air filter?

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 04/12/21 at 23:29:05

Tighten the battery connections, turn the petcock to 'reserve' or pri, go for a ride. If the same thing happens, it's not the petcock.  
Step by step elimination, not guessing.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 04/13/21 at 01:54:50

I agree with Zipi, try to establish whehter the replacement petcock is OEM or aftermarket. there are a variety of Raptor petcocks and if the PO has replaced it with one of these the inlet and outlet diameters could be wrong. If it's OEM Suzuki you could check for vacuum leaks between the carb and inlet port. The techies here will advise on the correct Yamaha 660 petcock part number, if you wish to replace.
Are you using fresh fuel, there should be a nut on the bottom of the float bowl which will alow you to drain the carb. Aside from that follow Zipis recomendations about going for a ride.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/13/21 at 04:19:44

Congratulations at first, to be a Savage owner! Smiley
And you are at the right forum to get the right advices/suggestions/trouble sorting out scheme.

I did get my a 2000 Savage, that was sitting 6 years in a garage, a real garage Queen, very low milage.. everyone think its brand new.

In any way.. its a very simple bike, to own, to drive and to maintain!

Soo, even as it is this simple bike, one can always run in to problems?
One higlited problem on this site is the vacum petkock issue, and there are solutions for that!

I can tell that my 20 year vacum petcock is still working, no craklings in the vacum tube, and no lose fittings!

Then there is clogged airfilter.. easy to replace.. for almoste no money at all.. you can do it yourself! Smiley

And then.. there is a carburator on this bike, that is made of soft aluminimum and the jets is often made of brass!

In any case, the carburator could be clogged by residues of old petrol, the jets could fetch some of this?

And then.. you and I dont know if former owners have don enything to the jets of the carburator?

Im kind of sure.. to 90% that owner of this kind of bike dont tweaks about jets anyhow.. at least if they keept the original exhauste?

I do have a another one on my bike, its a Leo Vince Silvertail Slip on, its a Italian brand and its a Slip on, one dont need to do any other adjustments, it supose to have a better look? Smiley

Thats about that, IE about modifications and the famouse petkock issue!

To that, even if ones original vacum petkock is working, there is a petkock filter issue, for every bike, and that is if the petkock filter is clogged.. mayby mostly on old bikes, standing several years in a garage.

Its one of the easyest things to examine, if one is young and handy, and drain the tank before!

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 04/13/21 at 05:07:03

zipidachimp wrote on 04/12/21 at 23:29:05:
Tighten the battery connections, turn the petcock to 'reserve' or pri, go for a ride. If the same thing happens, it's not the petcock.  
Step by step elimination, not guessing.
Cheers! Cool

I’ve ran it on all settings, because I ride it and end up running out of gas. Reserve, Fuel and even Off (for good Measure. Yeah, off works!  Grin)

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 04/13/21 at 05:19:00

An aftermarket petcock has three positions; ON, OFF, & RES (reserve). If yours has ON, OFF & PRI (prime), then you have an OEM style.

There are two types of OEM petcocks; ones that have failed, and ones that are going to. If you have the OEM petcock do yourself a favor and replace it with a genuine OEM Yamaha Raptor petcock, part number 5LP-24500-01-00. Do not get a knock-off or one that "fits"...get the original.

When the OEM petcock fails, it allows fuel to enter the vacuum circuit of the carb and as a result the carb responds in unintended ways. Further, the failed petcock allows fuel to continue flowing into the carb when the bike isn't running, potentially allowing fuel into the crankcase. This results in another set of running issues.

Most strange running problems such as your can be resolved with the Raptor petcock.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 04/13/21 at 06:59:25

Congrats and welcome!
Once you've ruled-out an OEM vacuum petcock problem, a loose battery connection, clogged air filter or bad spark plug, you're most likely looking at pulling the carb and cleaning/inspecting.  Great resources on this forum so you should be fine if you've done anything like this in the past.  You mention the PO drilled out the main jet?  I would suggest ordering a new jet to throw in there while going through things.
Read the guides on here regarding the carb.  The factory screws can be a pain to get out, especially if you don't have a JIS screwdriver set.  I ended up having to gently use an impact screwdriver to get mine out.  Gently.  The carb is aluminum. SS allen head cap screws can be sourced at Ace hardware and those specs are in the guides.
Be sure to add your location and altitude to your signature to get the best help from the experts here.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #11 - 04/13/21 at 07:12:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/13/21 at 05:19:00:
An aftermarket petcock has three positions; ON, OFF, & RES (reserve). If yours has ON, OFF & PRI (prime), then you have an OEM style.

There are two types of OEM petcocks; ones that have failed, and ones that are going to. If you have the OEM petcock do yourself a favor and replace it with a genuine OEM Yamaha Raptor petcock, part number 5LP-24500-01-00. Do not get a knock-off or one that "fits"...get the original.

When the OEM petcock fails, it allows fuel to enter the vacuum circuit of the carb and as a result the carb responds in unintended ways. Further, the failed petcock allows fuel to continue flowing into the carb when the bike isn't running, potentially allowing fuel into the crankcase. This results in another set of running issues.

Most strange running problems such as your can be resolved with the Raptor petcock.

I just got in contact with previous owner. It is from a raptor. Here is a photo of what I’ve got going on.

A2042486-B4C6-4386-8FD3-6D534F789DCA.jpeg

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #12 - 04/13/21 at 07:18:53

Tocsik wrote on 04/13/21 at 06:59:25:
Congrats and welcome!
Once you've ruled-out an OEM vacuum petcock problem, a loose battery connection, clogged air filter or bad spark plug, you're most likely looking at pulling the carb and cleaning/inspecting.  Great resources on this forum so you should be fine if you've done anything like this in the past.  You mention the PO drilled out the main jet?  I would suggest ordering a new jet to throw in there while going through things.
Read the guides on here regarding the carb.  The factory screws can be a pain to get out, especially if you don't have a JIS screwdriver set.  I ended up having to gently use an impact screwdriver to get mine out.  Gently.  The carb is aluminum. SS allen head cap screws can be sourced at Ace hardware and those specs are in the guides.
Be sure to add your location and altitude to your signature to get the best help from the experts here.

Concerning the jets, I live in Nc and my altitude is 553ft...not sure what size jets go in these bikes honestly. I’m not an expert at carbs but I am still learning. Also, where would I buy jets for this bike? It sounds like Chinese ones or cheap stuff on this bike is failure to launch!  Shocked

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #13 - 04/13/21 at 07:27:44

I just went for a small ride with the battery screws tightened and the reserve (“prime”) on. No difference!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 04/13/21 at 07:34:09

Start with a bit of reading:

Things every savage newb should know...:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344399573

A guide for almost everything possible on the Savage:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Carb cleanup:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

Lancer's place for parts:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 10:45:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought Savage, carb trouble I think

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.