Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Tensioner with wear indicator (Read 114 times)
Old Savage Eddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

La Coruna, Spain
Cam Chain Tensioner with wear indicator
04/02/21 at 16:20:49

Hello Everyone, I've been a bit obsessed regarding timing chain reliability and how to add a “warning indicator” to my bike that will let me know when the cam chain requires attention. I am a diehard fan of the Verslavy cam chain tensioner, but I wanted to add a wear indicator.  
After giving this some thought, I came up with a small modification to the tensioner (similar to a Verslavy, but adding a “wear indicator” that will provide a ground signal when the tensioner plunger extends beyond a certain position.  
I'm still in the experimental stage, but due to that I must again interrupt my “Savage Project” due to new assignments at work, I do not know when I will be able to continue with this.  I thought I would share my idea, in case someone may find it interesting.  Wink

Cam_Chain_Tensiones_with_Wear_Sensor.jpg

More horsepower, less exhaust.
  IP Logged
Old Savage Eddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

La Coruna, Spain
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner with wear indicator
Reply #1 - 04/02/21 at 16:33:45

I have machined a tensioner with a slot and using a small screw, the plunger is not allowed to fall apart.  This adds the safety factor already available with the classic Verslavy cam chain tensioner.  
Now I will place a second hole in the housing just behind the screw.  I will then use a piece of round nylon stock as a plug.  This nylon plug will have a very thin wire going through its center and protruding about 1 mm into the machined slot (Not contacting any metal, it "hangs" in the machined slot).  When the tensioner extends to the point that the slot end contacts the wire, we will get the negative ground signal.
Now it is necessary to figure a good route for the wire from the tensioner, through the engine case, and up to an indicator somewhere.
Again, this Idea is still in the teething process…..

tensioner_2.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/02/21 at 19:07:11

Interesting idea, I think I would use the neutral indicator as the warning light and just add the wire to the existing neutral wire in the clutch area.  Then if the wear indicator were on, the neutral light would stay on even when in gear.  Of course a few years down the line you probably won't remember so make a note to yourself.  And rather than leaving the wire sticking down into the slot, I'd bend it sort of flush and trailing away from the contact point otherwise it might get stuck and break off being a flimsy wire.  You might take a look at how the neutral switch is made and use the same type of switch.
Another problem, oil might be conductive so you'll get a false positive.
One other problem is with the neutral light on all the time, you can active the starter even when it's in gear and the kickstand is down.  Although you still have to pull the clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 04/03/21 at 17:46:57

Will the electrical contact work in the oily environment?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Old Savage Eddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

La Coruna, Spain
Reply #4 - 04/05/21 at 14:40:24

Oil is a great insulator, I “drown” electrical circuits in oil to protect them from moisture and salt, especially in the marine environment.  There should be no problems here, especially with such a low voltage.
What got me thinking, is that our engine oil gets dirty and collects impurities.  I still do not think this “contamination” would be sufficient to give us any false readings, especially in a 12-volt system.  I did some tests today measuring the resistance o different engine oils, the results were all close to infinity.  I decided to try my lawnmower oil because nothing is dirtier than old, used engine oil from a Briggs & Stratton engine….  The same outcome, the oil still showed extremely high resistance.
My last test was running a 48V DC power supply connected to two electrodes, placed 0.5 mm apart, and dipped in the old B&S engine oil.  There was no current flow detected.
The testing I did does not guarantee that a certain type of oil or level of contamination (metal particles) in the oils could affect the outcome, but it gives me enough peace of mind to continue thinking that I could make this crazy idea work.
I wish I had more time to take this further but during the next two months, I`m not gonna be home much.  It's time to do now, what because of COVID, was delayed.  

IP Logged
Old Savage Eddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

La Coruna, Spain
Reply #5 - 04/05/21 at 15:21:31

This was my new idea for the contact switch.

Maybe after the summer, when the weather gets cold again, Ill make a prototype switch and try it out...

ball_switch.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/06/21 at 13:15:09

Transformers on the pole are full of oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/06/21 at 13:26:16

Would it be feasible to run a wire through the path of the neutral wire and use the neutral wire for the power to a little LED run into the gauge?
Wouldn't have to be heavy, A stranded wire, to a skinny solid wire pushed through the rubber, to stranded,,and up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 01:04:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Tensioner with wear indicator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.