Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to motorcycling, made a rookie mistake (Read 237 times)
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New to motorcycling, made a rookie mistake
03/31/21 at 14:11:42

I purchased an 07 s40 last week and have been putting miles on it on the backroads by my house for some practice before MSF next month. I made the rookie mistake of leaving the key in the bike in the On position and drained the battery. I wasn’t able to find much on jump starting these bikes and wasn’t sure how to access the battery.

I ended up finding the battery behind the side cover and tool kit (obvious I’m sure to the more experienced members). After removing the tool kit and plate, I had access to the positive terminal for the battery. From there I jump started it with my truck (not turning on my truck at any point, though), connecting the cables in the proper order and using the rear brake pedal for my ground.

My question is: did any of this potentially damage something or is jump starting a motorcycle fine? I apologize if this comes off as a ridiculous question, but I only entered the 2 wheel world last week. Thank you

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: New to motorcycling, made a rookie mistake
Reply #1 - 03/31/21 at 16:48:47

Welcome to the forum and to motorcycling.

If the bike is now running fine, you did it correctly and didn’t damage anything.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/31/21 at 16:58:08

I don't even remember how many times I did that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/31/21 at 17:57:13

Yes the bike’s running just as it did. I’ll take that as meaning I didn’t destroy something. Thank you!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/31/21 at 19:26:37

Yeah, don't make a habit of it. That can cook your ignition box

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 04/01/21 at 02:14:59

Yeah , I’m gonna give that wire a clip before the cover goes on.     Grin
   Oh  , Welcome

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/01/21 at 03:46:04

I don't know what they teach you in the classes these days - but I never use the handlebar mounted Kill Switch to turn the motorcycle off.....I only use the key.  That removes any doubt about the key being turned off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/01/21 at 07:10:14

Dave wrote on 04/01/21 at 03:46:04:
I don't know what they teach you in the classes these days - but I never use the handlebar mounted Kill Switch to turn the motorcycle off.....I only use the key.  That removes any doubt about the key being turned off.

I am not sure what they’ll teach yet either, but the key will definitely be my new way of turning off the bike from now on. A new battery is most likely in order as well, as I believe this may be the OEM factory battery

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/01/21 at 07:49:01

new battery is most likely in order as well,

If not, you're looking at another rookie mistake.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 04/01/21 at 08:02:20

+1 on this.  Just be sure you don't turn the key all the way backwards.  That position leaves the tail light on and allows you to remove the key.  "Safety" feature for parking on the side of the road.   Roll Eyes

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/01/21 at 12:20:18

Since the battery is hard to get to, I would recommend a maintaince free battery. Also, a Battery Tender Junior. It comes with leads you run from the battery to any convenient spot for charging and check battery voltage.
Also, get an inexpensive multi meter.

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #11 - 04/01/21 at 13:46:22

they teach you to only use the kill switch so your in the habit of doing it in a emergency.  i have yet to meat anyone who does tho lol.
rapatt95 wrote on 04/01/21 at 07:10:14:

I am not sure what they’ll teach yet either, but the key will definitely be my new way of turning off the bike from now on. A new battery is most likely in order as well, as I believe this may be the OEM factory battery

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 04/05/21 at 06:54:10

ckahleer wrote on 04/01/21 at 12:20:18:
Since the battery is hard to get to, I would recommend a maintaince free battery. Also, a Battery Tender Junior. It comes with leads you run from the battery to any convenient spot for charging and check battery voltage.

+1.  I have one of these (link below) as well that has the leads and a USB adapter if you need a spot to temporarily charge something off the bike (while running of course).  

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Terminal-Accessory-Charger/dp/B08CBQYXY...

Get an AGM battery.  I have had good success ordering from BatterMart.com and get their BigCrank house brand...great quality batteries at competitive prices.

And, to answer your initial question about jumping the bike, you did one critical thing correctly and that is NOT cranking the vehicle you are using for the jump. An automobile charging system can back feed too much voltage to these bikes. As long as the vehicle is NOT running, jumping off any standard 12v auto battery should not cause any problems.  If it ever does, note the 20A main fuse under that right-side cover...if anything every blows that's the first place to check before thinking your system has fried. Personally I have a spare fuse taped to that wire harness...cheap insurance if you ever need it in a pinch.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
rapatt95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/05/21 at 07:06:33

stewmills wrote on 04/05/21 at 06:54:10:
ckahleer wrote on 04/01/21 at 12:20:18:

+1.  I have one of these (link below) as well that has the leads and a USB adapter if you need a spot to temporarily charge something off the bike (while running of course).  

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Terminal-Accessory-Charger/dp/B08CBQYXY...

Get an AGM battery.  I have had good success ordering from BatterMart.com and get their BigCrank house brand...great quality batteries at competitive prices.

And, to answer your initial question about jumping the bike, you did one critical thing correctly and that is NOT cranking the vehicle you are using for the jump. An automobile charging system can back feed too much voltage to these bikes. As long as the vehicle is NOT running, jumping off any standard 12v auto battery should not cause any problems.  If it ever does, note the 20A main fuse under that right-side cover...if anything every blows that's the first place to check before thinking your system has fried. Personally I have a spare fuse taped to that wire harness...cheap insurance if you ever need it in a pinch.

I replaced the battery with an Interstate AGM battery yesterday and it fires right up nicely now. I’ll be looking into adding some of these other suggestions as well to make my life a little easier moving forward as well. I appreciate all the input and help!

And yes, the one thing that was pounded into my brain in my searching was not starting the vehicle when jumping the bike!

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #14 - 04/05/21 at 14:57:31

+1 for a good battery
pushing your bike 5miles home at 2am sucks and will get you multiple interviews with the local police.  was a long night...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:02:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to motorcycling, made a rookie mistake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.