Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
03 Savage doesn't start in sub-65 degrees (Read 70 times)
djbadcat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

03 Savage doesn't start in sub-65 degrees
03/30/21 at 21:29:52

Hi all, I'm a new rider with an 03 Savage for my first bike. I had a lot of issues with getting my bike consistently starting up at first, but mostly got it working well until I crashed a couple months ago. My bike sat for 2 months while I recuperated (I realize now I'm not supposed to let it sit). I got new parts swapped out at a good shop, and it mostly works fine once started but it does struggle to start now. In over 65 degree weather I can get it to start with choke all the way out and max throttle, sometimes with stronger idle, but sub-65 it'll turn but not fire no matter what I do. Battery was recently charged up, fresh gas, etc.

Any idea what this could be? I'm going to try riding it to the shop this week if it starts when it's warm, but if anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Edit- I'm in SoCal if that helps.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 03 Savage doesn't start in sub-65 degrees
Reply #1 - 03/30/21 at 21:50:19

The only time I use full throttle (besides 5th gear going uphill and laughing manically) is when I've flooded it.  Full choke doesn't do much at full throttle, so I suspect something off on your jets.  Maybe sitting has caused them to clog up.  I'd clean the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
djbadcat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/30/21 at 22:08:03

My mechanic mentioned the possibility of having to rebuild the carb, but he said it was something he didn't really want to have to do since it's so technical and expensive. Would cleaning the carb be a decent alternative to try before having to consider rebuilding the carb? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm still learning about bike mechanics.

Also thanks for the reply!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/30/21 at 22:10:07

bring it over and I'll show you what to do.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/31/21 at 04:00:47

djbadcat wrote on 03/30/21 at 22:08:03:
My mechanic mentioned the possibility of having to rebuild the carb, but he said it was something he didn't really want to have to do since it's so technical and expensive. Would cleaning the carb be a decent alternative to try before having to consider rebuilding the carb? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm still learning about bike mechanics.

It sounds like you need a new mechanic - cleaning a carb is likely the only thing your carb needs.  There is very little that wears in these carbs - but jets do get clogged easily when a bike sits with fuel in it.  Also - rubber parts get old and stiff over time.....your bike is 18 years old!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
djbadcat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/31/21 at 10:48:13

I'll focus on getting a carb cleaning then, thanks!

@verslagen1, I see you're in LA, I can't PM you since I don't have enough posts but I am in LA too and can maybe bring my bike over later this week?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 03/31/21 at 11:18:07

djbadcat wrote on 03/30/21 at 22:08:03:
My mechanic mentioned the possibility of having to rebuild the carb, but he said it was something he didn't really want to have to do since it's so technical and expensive.

It certainly isn't technical, but no doubt...it will be expensive from this mechanic.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/01/21 at 03:53:34

The choke doesn't work if the throttle is held open.  The "enrichment valve" you open when you pull the little handle allows more fuel to flow into the idle circuit - which has some very small holes in the venturi on the engine side of the throttle plate (high vacuum area).  When you twist the throttle open the throttle plate moves past the holes and the vacuum is not directed to the idle circuit.

Starting a bike is best done with a closed throttle when the engine is cold. (On an engine with a clean carb).  If the engine starts with an open throttle that indicates the engine needs more air and less fuel to get started.

Sitting for a few months with fuel in the carb is never a good thing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 04/01/21 at 12:01:48

Taking what Dave said into account and the OPs first post, it's not clear that there is actually anything wrong with the bike.  It sounds like it might be user error or some combination of both.

djbadcat wrote on 03/30/21 at 21:29:52:
Hi all, I'm a new rider...

In over 65 degree weather I can get it to start with choke all the way out and max throttle...
-----

First of all, the ambient air temperature has very little effect the starting procedure used.  Basically, you are either starting a cold bike or a warmed up bike.  The bike is pretty much cold anytime is has been sitting for an hour or longer.  Obviously it cools off faster in cold weather and not as fast in hot weather.

For cold starts the bike should start with the choke out and NO throttle.
Once it fires up, you should use partial choke while riding until the engine reaches full operating temperature.

For a hot/warm bike, you will crack the throttle just a little, but no choke should be used.  You might need to use partial choke if it doesn't fire.

If your bike is functioning properly these procedures should do the trick.  If not, then it's a clue that your bike needs work. You should never need to use full throttle when starting you bike unless the bike is hot and you flooded it.  That shouldn't happen if you follow the procedures outlined above.

Your bike shouldn't have an issue sitting around for a few months at a time.
My bike sits in the garage every winter without a care in the world and it fires right up and runs every spring.

If you know that it will be sitting, I would turn the petcock off and run the bike until it runs out of gas and dies.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/01/21 at 15:05:06

djbadcat wrote on 03/31/21 at 10:48:13:
I'll focus on getting a carb cleaning then, thanks!

@verslagen1, I see you're in LA, I can't PM you since I don't have enough posts but I am in LA too and can maybe bring my bike over later this week?

sent you my email in a pm.
or you can click on the email button if your computer is set up to use it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:13:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 03 Savage doesn't start in sub-65 degrees

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.