Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Fork leak (no seal leak) (Read 60 times)
Kultovbelial
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front Fork leak (no seal leak)
03/30/21 at 11:10:32

Hello guys, I'm a new rider and also new to the forum. I got an S40 2006 as my first bike. I've noticing oil leaks on the front area where the bike is parked (front wheel area). I thought it would come front the upper area where the seals are but a mechanic saw that it actually comes front the bottom of the tubes, from inside the tube down to the floor.
What could be the cause and the estimate to fix it? The mechanic said $150 to take a look in the tube which he thinks might be a loose screw, or could be the tube that is bad already and if that's the case, he would change the tube and seals for $300.
What are you guys opinions?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Front Fork leak (no seal leak)
Reply #1 - 03/30/21 at 12:40:03

Put a hex wrench on the fitting at the bottom of the fork and see if it turns. It just might be loose. If not, then you probably need a new copper crush washer.

You've lost fork oil, so now you REQUIRE a fork service. Both forks should be filled so there is a 75mm air gap (forks compressed, springs out). This service requires that the forks be removed from the bike. They can be removed one at a time.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/30/21 at 17:48:51

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/30/21 at 12:40:03:
Put a hex wrench on the fitting at the bottom of the fork and see if it turns. It just might be loose. If not, then you probably need a new copper crush washer.

And....you have to take the front axle out to get to the screws that are in the bottom of the fork legs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 03/30/21 at 19:37:32

Gary and Dave are spot on.  This is an easy fix.  Remove axle, tighten allen bolt, and reaseble.   The copper washers might need to be replaced or annealed, but your mechanic should be way more than happy to do this for $150.

I wouldn't go as far as Gary in saying that the forks need "serviced".  I would just make sure they still have oil.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 03/31/21 at 10:23:59

A service is required.

How long has it been leaking? A week? A month? A year? Who knows? In that time how much fluid has been lost? !/2 Once or all but 1/2 an ounce? Once again, who knows. When was the last time that the forks were serviced? Since the bike is new to the OP, probably once again unknown. That sounds like a service to me. How can you check the oil quantity without verifying the oil height? If the fork is removed, and the spring removed for verification of oil height - that is by definition "a service"

If the fork is going to be removed and checked for oil height, it only makes sense to change the oil since the age and condition are unknown. Me...I would probably change the crush washer during this service due to the high likelihood of another leak.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 03/31/21 at 17:31:05

My idea of a "service" on a fork this crud is to tighten up that bolt, pull the top caps, and make sure both forks have roughly the same amount of fluid.  

So I would say we are in complete agreement!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 17:09:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Fork leak (no seal leak)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.