Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear tire size variants (Read 54 times)
Neil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear tire size variants
03/30/21 at 09:05:52

I bought my bike with this rear tire on it:"Dunlop Elite 4" 140/90-15 M/C 70H, 40 BR 16.
But the specs for my 2006 say /80. I'm getting a new one put on, and the mechanic noticed this, but also said it isn't rubbing anything, so he's going to put the same /90 size on. Thoughts?

IP Logged
Neil

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear tire size variants
Reply #1 - 03/30/21 at 09:10:46

Also heard important to match tire brand and model so treads shed water properly. You?

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 03/30/21 at 17:16:24

I put the larger tyre on the rear of my bike  It gives a softer ride and is 4.2% bigger in diameter so gives a little higher gearing which I have found better on the highway.  The speedometer is now quite accurate now too as a bonus.  My next tyre will be the same 140/90-15 Shinko 230 Tourmaster
Very happy with it
Dont forget the right angle valve stem---much easier

Hiko   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/30/21 at 17:46:13

Sorry the photos are no longer available - but the words still hold true in this tire discussion.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

The original 140/80-15 size is only available in the original IRC tire - which is not a great tire choice.

The 130/90-15 is nearly identical in size, and is a nice handling tire.

The 140/90-15 tire is a larger diameter, and as noted it does allow a bit of rpm reduction at speed and may make your speedometer more accurate.  It is a larger/heavier tire - and will slow down the handling somewhat.

Both tires work - choose the smaller one if you ride local roads with lots of curves, and the larger one if you do more straight line riding....although the bigger tire can still go around corners well (it just makes the transition from straight to corner a bit slower).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/31/21 at 03:43:23

Neil wrote on 03/30/21 at 09:05:52:
I bought my bike with this rear tire on it:"Dunlop Elite 4" 140/90-15 M/C 70H, 40 BR 16.
But the specs for my 2006 say /80. I'm getting a new one put on, and the mechanic noticed this, but also said it isn't rubbing anything, so he's going to put the same /90 size on. Thoughts?

I bought a 2000 Savage garage queen, on original tires.
Drove it to my local MC shop, got Bridgestone tyres and new tubes, to be safe.
In any way, I got 150/80 on my back tire, nemas problemas, its for me a custom bike, and it fits!
And its more about riding style!
In any case, this bike is a cruiser and custome kind of bike, the Savage more like a half HD and the S40 more to look like a bobber/cafe racer!
To that.. for all what I know, there are only minor changes for every year, mostly new supliers.. and then the shift from Savage to Boulevard style!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/15/24 at 21:29:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear tire size variants

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.