Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Internet/TV advice requested (Read 201 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Internet/TV advice requested
Reply #15 - 03/31/21 at 02:18:49

My wife watches stuff on her Kindle and glances at what I am watching on TV, unless I find something she likes enough to watch. I'm generally the one with the remote.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 04/01/21 at 04:22:22

Well I have a little bit more knowledge with 5-6 days of use.

The little Google Wifi station they installed is in the pantry at the far left corner of our house.  I had it installed there as it was easiest to run the wires, it is closest to the porch, it is directly underneath where our upstairs computers are located, and it is nearest to the garage.

I ran a speed test on the upstairs computer that is connected using the Wifi.  The speed was somewhere around 55 Mbps - a far cry from the claimed 250 Mbps they advertise.  I took my phone and sat right next to the Wifi thingy and did a speed test using my phone - I got 264 Mbps!  It appears that 10 feet makes a huge difference!  (I wonder if the Wifi signal works better horizontally than vertically?)

I was able to watch Roku last night at my sister's house.  They have a very basic device and no subscriptions that I am aware of.  We watched a show called "Better Late than Never" , and the commercials were a big turn off for me.  With our current satellite system we record the shows when they are broadcast and they we watch them later - and we can fast forward through the commercials.  We can watch most 30 minute shows in 20 minutes!  Not being able to fast forward through the commercials on Roku was pretty frustrating.  

We will likely get Roku once we are back from Texas - then learn more about it as we explore with it and learn our options for subscriptions to channels to eliminate commercials, how to record and watch later, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 04/01/21 at 07:47:18

The TV remote has a mute button. It's my favorite button.  
Yeah, they hit pretty regular.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/01/21 at 08:56:08

PBS as far as I know does not have ads on ROKU.  Subscription plans also do not, like Netflix.

https://support.roku.com/article/208756038

I'm not a huge fan of ads myself and had to have software developed to auto-skip YouTube ads.

The biggest reason I went with Amazon products is the speed, the reduced ad content, and the device convenience.  I can just tell it to play something on the garage TV and it happens all on it's own.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #19 - 04/01/21 at 09:15:29

Dave wrote on 04/01/21 at 04:22:22:
  and the commercials were a big turn off for me.  .....  Not being able to fast forward through the commercials on Roku was pretty frustrating.

That is why I prefer Kodi over Roku. No advertising at all.  Smiley

I don't know if it will work with the Roku (I never looked at one to see if DNS is user configurable), but if it is, you may want to look into something called "Pi Hole". It is a Raspberry Pi that sits on your network to block ads. You simply tell your devices to use the Pi Hole as the DNS server and no more ads get through. And it will work for any other devices on your network so web surfing is ad free too.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/02/21 at 03:41:15

Yesterday I had a few minutes of solo "seat time" on the Roku - I learned that there is a lot of stuff on there.....and navigating all the options is going to take a while to learn.  I found a place where I could watch the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and a lot of old TV shows commercial free.  It was cool since they would start with the very first episode and just keep on playing the episodes in series for as long as you wanted to sit still.  I watched the first episode of "My Name is Earl" - you could see the breaks where commercials would be inserted but there were no commercials or pauses.  

When it comes to this kind of stuff - I am like the motorcycle Noob who can't find the drain plug to change the oil.  It is all new to me and it takes a while and a bit of help for me to get it right.

After the Texas trip we will cancel our "Cellulite TV" service and get Roku.  If Roku cannot satisfy my wife's PBS needs and we can't access the local channels - then we will get an antenna and some form of device that can be programmed to record.  I know that the VCR recorders could be programmed to record shows - I bet there is something that can now do that digitally without the need for a tape.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 04/02/21 at 07:54:13

Heck Dave  Wink

If ya can watch anytime ya want , then why record ?

There is a "TV Guide" icon , and in it I have found a Out-Doors Sports channel with motorbike racing , truck races , etc.  Wink ... it might be nice to record some of the things they have sometimes (it runs live).

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 04/02/21 at 18:08:05

MMRanch wrote on 04/02/21 at 07:54:13:
Heck Dave  Wink

If ya can watch anytime ya want , then why record ?

Mostly because you can fast forward through the commercials - if you can't find it broadcast without the commercials.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 04/02/21 at 20:15:34

I use the commercials to refill my water jug and such .    Maybe I don't hate the commercials enough ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 04/03/21 at 09:34:16

MMRanch wrote on 04/02/21 at 20:15:34:
I use the commercials to refill my water jug and such .    Maybe I don't hate the commercials enough ?   Huh

How do you get them in your water jug?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 04/03/21 at 19:45:31

How do you get them in your water jug?   Huh  

Versey , you know those commercials folks are kin to telemarketers .   They can get into anything whether you want them or not !  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 18:05:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Internet/TV advice requested

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.