Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
roundabout rules of the road... (Read 77 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
roundabout rules of the road...
03/25/21 at 21:38:12

I thought I knew about traffic circles, WRONG!! Check out this link and see IF anyone can understand it,

https://www.9news.com.au/national/new-south-wales-road-rules-awareness-week-g...

It is from a Queensland website, and it's not cause they are driving on the other side of the road, but are for right and left hand turns. And to me the way it is written sounds like a skit from Saturday night live! As I try to read it I'm seeing Dan Aykroyd at a blackboard unsuccessfully teaching a class of yanks (including John Belushi-samari taxi driver) how to drive ''down under''.
Can anyone make sense of this without watching the vid?
I know we have members down there and I'm not picking on them. I have new respect for thier driving skils.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: roundabout rules of the road...
Reply #1 - 03/26/21 at 08:11:17

Heck !   Its been my observation here in middle Tn. most folks don't know what a turn single is for !     Most of these folks drive like their parents did and think its "OK" to use both lanes to go around blind corners !  

We have one local ROUND ABOUT that I watch for entertainment sometimes ...  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 03/26/21 at 12:36:14

This isn't any issue if you live in the UK, Aussie, NZ, Japan, South Africa, possibly India or Pakistan. If you visit these places you will soon adapt. You will be very alert for the first couple of days. The danger point is on the third day, when you may automatically revert to your normal style of driving. Several tourists and New Zealanders have ended up dead, because tourists forgot they were on the wrong side of the road.
From a historical perspective, most US car makers used right hand steering until 1915, when the complete dominance of the left hand steering Model T Ford forced a change. You should have seen the chaos in Sweden when they changed over in 1977. You could probably Google films of that.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/27/21 at 03:56:21

Only recently has Kentucky started to use the roundabout.  The first one that was put in our city at the University has too small of a diameter and it doesn't work very well - later they started to make them larger and it has helped.

A couple weeks ago I was on my first long motorcycle ride of the year, and in Cynthiana I was stopped when two semi trucks towing the two halves of a modular home had to go through the roundabout.  The truck could not go around the circle - they had to drive over the circle.  On this roundabout the center is a raised pavement area and they could drive over it.

I want to know what the rule book is for this intersection!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIn8GJIg0E

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 03/27/21 at 18:57:15

That entire video and I never saw a turn signal or a fender bender !   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 03/27/21 at 20:02:19

That video is a little misleading. It is sped up by at least a factor of 4 (or more). Check out how fast pedestrians are crossing 4 lanes of traffic. This is not to say that traversing the intersection couldn't be nerve-wracking, but the traffic is actually moving much slower and more sane than the video indicates.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/31/21 at 05:28:06

I altso think the video is missleding?
Becuse its not a "Round about"!
In any case, Im Swedish, Im brougt up to this.. and used to it!
Its this, a roundabout should be thinking as a straight road, same trafick rules!
And to enter a roundabout, its the same as entering a crossroad!
And to leave a roundabout is like to turn right, get your turnlight on, in Sweden, if there is any trafic police personal at that time, one can be stopped and fined 1500 Sek/172 dollars for not turning on the turning lights!
And to that, I even have driven in UK, you know those guys that ride on the left side of the road?
In any case, even in there old lanes, they put a pole and around it some stones, to be a roundabout, and then I have a co-driver, that told me to turn left/get to the left side of the road.

In any other case.. roundabouts is the future, no trafick lights, less expenditure for goverments, more accidents, but fewer leatal ones, its going to being a insurance issuie.

So for my Savage.com friends, Roundabouts is the future and one only have to think about them to be straight roads, even if they bends a lot!

And then.. if there is 2-3-4 lanes roundabouts, its the same as straight lanes 2-3-4 lanes roundabouts, turn on your lights if you want to change lane or even get out of it!
Change lane befor you want to leave?
In any case, im Swedish/European.. roundabouts is al over the place.
Even in UK but they drive on the left side and to the left in roundabouts!

What ever.. a roundabout, should be consider as a straight road, whatever  the curvature of any bendings of the road!

Soo to my US friends on this forum, I gonna link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqcyRxZJCXc&ab_channel=Cheddar

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/31/21 at 09:22:17

That's not a roundabout,... it's a demolition derby... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 07:10:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › roundabout rules of the road...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.