Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gs550 rear wheel swap questions. (Read 55 times)
Bebop12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gs550 rear wheel swap questions.
03/17/21 at 11:20:36

Done a fair amount of searching for all of the answers. But cant find them all.  A gs550 rear wheel from 1980 ish should fit the savage axle and the drum brake. But what about the belt drive? Will the sprocket still bolt up to the gs550 wheel? Or do i have to swap to chain drive? Bike is getting a mad max/post apocalyptic makeover so not concerned about mismatched wheels.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Gs550 rear wheel swap questions.
Reply #1 - 03/17/21 at 12:18:48

I just did this.  The wheel I bought was a 1985 GS550, the wheel was a 16x2.50.

Everything went on just like the spoked wheel.  Brake, pulley hub, axle, spacers.....everything worked the same.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/17/21 at 13:01:40

I have to suspect that a lot of the problems people are having with this is a lot of sellers don't really know what they are selling.

Take a good hard look at what you are buying and if it don't look right don't buy it.
Trusting the seller to know won't get the job done.

WWW   IP Logged
Bebop12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/17/21 at 18:21:52

Dave wrote on 03/17/21 at 12:18:48:

Everything went on just like the spoked wheel.  Brake, pulley hub, axle, spacers.....everything worked the same.

Did you keep the belt drive or swap to chain? possible to keep belt drive?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/17/21 at 18:27:24

The belt drive pulley assembly fits in place of the chain drive sprocket assembly.  The rubber spacers should be the same if you get the right wheel.

IP Logged
Bebop12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/17/21 at 20:13:17

Previous answer said 1985 wheel.  I ve read about 81 and 83s as well. So other than 85 what year wheel would work?

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 03/18/21 at 01:05:50

Easypeasy. 10 minutes at most, using 120/90-16 tire !
Now for the front..........
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/18/21 at 03:45:31

Bebop12 wrote on 03/17/21 at 18:21:52:
Dave wrote on 03/17/21 at 12:18:48:

Did you keep the belt drive or swap to chain? possible to keep belt drive?

Sorry I wasn't clear......when I said the "Pulley Hub" went on just like the spoked wheel - that meant the pulley for the belt went on as well.

The pulley hub inserts into the rear wheel hub - then you have your choice of using the belt.....or switching to a chain.  I like the clean and tidy belt - I don't want no stinky,greasy,messy chain!

I used a 1985 wheel.....other wheels will work.  Just be sure it is a drum brake.

When I was looking for a wheel on eBay, I looked to see that is had a drum brake that had the 160.7 mm size listed, that it was the correct size 2.50x16 rim, and I looked to see the rim said it was "TUBELESS TIRE APPLICABLE" on both wheels.....and finally I looked to see the lowest price and a wheel that was in good condition.  These wheels are nearly 40 years old and can be in pretty poor condition if they spent a lot of time sitting outside.

You can search for a GS450, GS550 for rear and front - just be sure to get the "Tubeless Applicable" and a drum brake on the rear.....and a 19" front wheel.  The GS850 front wheel can also work - it appears some are black and others appear to be a gray color (so I avoided looking at them to be sure the front/rear color matched).

This is add is for a wheel that has been painted and is not in great shape - but it has all the stuff I looked for shown in the photos he posted.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Suzuki-GS550L-GS-550-S175-1-rear-wheel-rim-hub-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bebop12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/18/21 at 09:23:34

Greatly appreciate it. Happy to know i can keep the belt drive. Currently waiting on a couple of sellers to get back with me because i found a wheel for 40 bucks shipped. But cant see the stamped diameter in the drum. But the link you provided for the one on ebay looks pretty good to me.  As for it being painted, thats fine by me. And I would rather have the mismatched wheels so i ll leave my front spoked wheel as it is. Going for the mad max/put together with whatever was laying around look. But gotta have a knobby tire. I know belt drive isnt preferred for off road but it will see limited off road riding and not in any rock quarries so I'm not worried about it. Mostly going for looks.  These bikes arent set up right for off road anyways. Riding position would make it hard to stand up as opposed to a tru dirt bike it even sport bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gs550 rear wheel swap questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.