Send Topic Print
gasket sealers... (Read 80 times)
haggis57
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gasket sealers...
03/09/21 at 17:15:15

Just got a complete gasket kit from partzilla.
Question.
Do the head gasket, and side cover gaskets require sealer before I install.?
Also suggestions for cam cover sealer..

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: gasket sealers...
Reply #1 - 03/09/21 at 20:56:55

You don't need sealer for the gaskets. I think Suzukibond is the sealer for the head cover. Maybe somebody else can come up with another suggestion for the sealer. The sealer needs to be applied VERY sparingly so as not to get it oozing out where you don't want it. Apply the sealer in such a way to not get it on any bearing surface in the head.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 03/10/21 at 00:50:29

3M , 3Bond , gray
eBay
Amazon
Bla
Bla
Blah
For cam cover , just a little
Gaskets DRY
Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/10/21 at 02:35:16

I use the Suzukibond for the head cover on black engines - it is black and blends in well with a black engine.  I have had the same tube since 2013 and it still works just fine - the store bought RTV sets up in the tube in 2 months once it is opened.

For silver engines the gray sealers look nicer - Hondabond or 3bond.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 03/10/21 at 11:42:45

Dave I think 3M 3Bond comes in black too. Not totally sure but most OEM sealants Yamabond , Hondabond , Suzukibond , Kawagoo are all made by 3M. Same as all the Japanese automaker’s too. I’ll check it out see if I can find some part numbers. When I worked on Mitsubishi trucks the 3Bond came in caulking tubes , think it was over $100 a tube.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
haggis57
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/10/21 at 20:11:59

Thanks for the replies guys...
So nothing on the head and sidecover gaskets... but some Suzukibond or similar on the cam cover.?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/11/21 at 03:53:41

haggis57 wrote on 03/10/21 at 20:11:59:
Thanks for the replies guys...
So nothing on the head and sidecover gaskets... but some Suzukibond or similar on the cam cover.?

I do put a small dab of sealer around the rubber grommet on the neutral wire on the right side cover.....and also on the wiring on the left side cover.  Originally it did not have any - but as the years go on the rubber gets stiff and shrinks a bit.  Clean all the oil off first, then apply a very small amount of sealer on the sealing surface of the grommet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/12/21 at 20:33:58

To not replace the oring in the clutch cover is a mistake, imo

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/13/21 at 02:28:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/12/21 at 20:33:58:
To not replace the oring in the clutch cover is a mistake, imo

One of the things to consider about these bikes - is that as the years pass the rubber and plastic parts start to deteriorate.  This is especially true of the rubber parts that are subject to the engine heat.  It has been necessary for me to replace the carb spigot boot, carb/air cleaner tube, TEV valve diaphragm and Fuel Enrichment Valve on the 2002 bike I had.....the original parts were just too stiff to be used for too many more years.  Fuel petcock diaphragms and fuel line might need to be replaced frequently.....depending on the fuel sold in your areas.

So......it may be desirable for you to begin replacing the rubber parts when you are working on your bike.  

For those members who know they are going to keep their motorcycle for a long time - it really would be a good idea to stock up a few Savage parts that will deteriorate over time for replacement as needed.  Carb spigots, air cleaner tube, TEV valve, Fuel Enrichment Valve, front pulley O-ring, Clutch shaft O-ring......and the many little sealing washers that go on the engine bolts - and perhaps a complete gasket set or two.  Now that the Savage is out of production the OEM parts supply will slowly start to dwindle.  There will never be an aftermarket parts supply network developed for the Savage like there is for vintage Honda, Triumph, Harley or Norton motorcycles - the Savage just won't support that kind of industry.    

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:32:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gasket sealers...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.