Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine stumbled/bogged down at high speed (Read 59 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Engine stumbled/bogged down at high speed
03/04/21 at 08:18:18

As I was coming in to work this morning I was cruising on the HOV at 75-80 mph when the engine stumbled and seemed to lose power. I immediately slowed down a bit but symptom remained. I eventually pulled in the clutch, revved it expecting it to bog down but it revved just fine and once I released the clutch it seemed to work just fine. I kept it to 60 mph max the rest of the way and had no problems. Once I parked it I looked it over and it had the usual bit of oil on the engine and nothing smelled weird. I intend to work on it as soon as I change the petcock on the Honda, but for right now it is my only vehicle (short one car at the house for the moment). Any ideas what I should be looking for, other than just keeping the speed down?  Roll Eyes

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine stumbled/bogged down at high speed
Reply #1 - 03/04/21 at 09:00:59

For something that comes and goes, I'd suspect gas/carb.
It's a typical petcock symptom, but it could be something got sucked up into the main jet and backing off burped it out until the next bump in the road.

But a bad contact on a switch, or low bat will do the same thing

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 03/04/21 at 09:16:18

Springman ,

I'm with Versey on trash in the carb.    It's not wasting a lot of fuel to flush the bowl by totally removing the drain screw and turning the fuel on for a flush .  

My last four cylinder bike had little jets in it.  Durning the winter trash would form in the bowl from drying gas.   Every spring I'd have to pull all four of them off and clean the jets.
Now , I know about "Sea-Foam" (thanks to somebody on this forum)  , it can dissolve the deposits from the inside and prevent them from forming in the first place .   Smiley

Good luck with it buddy !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/04/21 at 11:19:30

Versy, MM thanks for the input. The battery appears to be good. Faulty switch, I hope not. Junk in gas, it's possible. I will put some more seafoam in it tonight. Hopefully it will run properly on the way home as I will be staying late today. I have to admit it was a bit of a scary feeling for the engine to bog down like that.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/04/21 at 13:28:12

I'd drop the bowl.
easier to get rid of a little bits that don't flow thru holes.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 03/04/21 at 14:21:05

Happend to me once doing 50-60 mph.  Dropped to 30 mph, pulled over and it picked back up.  I had been having a few other sticky slide issues that week.  Replaced the slide and everything was resolved.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/04/21 at 16:25:09

Thank all for the input. Hopefully I will get to play with it on Saturday.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/04/21 at 19:48:16

Thanks guys. I got home with no issues so I do suspect it was a gasoline/carburetor issue.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/05/21 at 03:37:44

Springman:

In the descriptions at the bottom of your posts - I don't see that you have yet installed a Raptor petcock.

One of the issues with the stock vacuum operated petcock, is that when the diaphragm gets old and stiff (kind of like us as we age) - the diaphragm can be hard for the engine vacuum to open the petcock and allow fuel flow.  This can show up most frequently at highway speeds - where there is low vacuum as you have the throttle opened up while at speed..........which causes the engine vacuum to drop.

One way to test this out is switch the petcock to 'PRI" and see if the bike runs normally.

If you are still running the stock vacuum petcock - I would suggest you start there first.  Either install a new diaphragm.....or put in a Yamaha Raptor petcock.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 03/05/21 at 08:57:56

I've got the manual petcock .  

That vacuum one is nice if ya don't remember to turn the fuel off .

So , two out of three bikes of mine have the manual shut-off .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/05/21 at 10:43:18

Dave, MM, looks like I have to update my description. Raptor petcock was installed a year or 2 ago. And I still seem to forget 90%+ of the time to turn off the petcock.

Speaking of petcocks, the one for the Honda finally arrived and so I will be installing it this weekend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 21:32:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Engine stumbled/bogged down at high speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.