Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1998 Suzuki Savage / Ryca CS-1 (Read 46 times)
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1998 Suzuki Savage / Ryca CS-1
02/19/21 at 09:28:52

Sadly, the day has come to part with my Savage / Ryca build. I am located in Medford, NJ and as soon as the weather gets decent I will post some riding vids of the bike if it hasn't sold. The price is $3,500 firm.

This bike started out as a 1998 Suzuki Savage with 4,500 miles. I put this bike together over the winter of 2018 and went through all of the typical mechanical issues. The bike will not disappoint! It is in excellent mechanical shape and needs NOTHING to ride. This bike has been super reliable and it will be a great rider for many years and miles to come. I am happy to provide any future service in the area for little to no cost or beer and answer any questions. The Ryca kit has only 462 miles on the odometer and you can see I just didn't get the use out of it that it should have. I have a few other bikes and I just never wound up riding this that much. I'm either on the dirt or a bigger touring bike.

The good:

- Doesn't leak a drop of oil! To remedy the oil leaks I did the following:
   - Added the Verslagen head plug to stop the slow oil drip. I also installed a new head gasket with the correct RTV.
   - Neutral wire at side cover sealed to stop oil leak along with a new clutch cover gasket.
- Added a Verslagen adjustable cam chain tensioner. The original cam chain tensioner was 1/2 of the way near it's limit. I also had Verslagen cross drill the front rotor.
- Had the tank HDPE lined from GTL Advantage. It had no rust and I've never run ethanol but did this as a precaution in the event I had to. GTL is a very professional outfit and this was done at a cost of $500. It is a not a DIY job, GTL's lining last forever!
- Carb completely rebuilt and tuned. I went through the carb using all new parts and then tuned it. The bike is tuned perfect at sea level. It's a blast to ride! I also replace all of the JIS screws with hex cap bolts for easier servicing.
- Compression tested to 180 psi. The valves checked out spot on when I had the valve covers off too. This bike is in mechanically excellent condition as you'd expect a 9,000 mile Savage to be.
- The wiring harness has been completely stripped, correctly, of all the unnecessary junk. I marked up a copy of the wiring diagram in my Clymer manual while performing this for future reference.
- I have a spare carb and some other spare parts.
- Brakes were all checked and adjusted. They are working perfectly.
- Raptor Petcock added to replace stock vacuum unit. Vacuum port capped properly.
- I wired up a battery tender lead and a USB outlet. I have a RAM ball in one of the mirror mounts that I use with my phone when I ride. It currently has a micro USB end but can easily be changed to iphone.

The bad:

- NJ DMV screwed up the title and it shows 14,500 miles. The bike was titled in VA and had the correct mileage but when I retitled in in NJ I noticed they added 10,000 miles to the title. I never fixed it and it's probably too late now.
- The paint bubbled near the gas tank cap. I'm not sure why this happened, it was likely not prepped correctly before paint but doesn't appear to be getting worse.
- Due to the common oil leaks the painted finish on the cylinder is peeling. These older bikes had black paint in the cooling fins and it doesn't hold up well.
- The battery is coming due to be replaced. It's approximately 5 years old and charges to 12.7 volts. It's always been on a battery tender when not in use. You must use the manual decompress and make sure the carb bowl is full before starting. That's normal with a fully charged battery though.
- The stock parts are all gone. I didn't save them, they went for free or scrap or free on Facebook Marketplace when I put the bike together.
- If you are over 6' don't bother looking! I'm 5'6" and the bike is awesome for me. It's a small bike and anyone over 6' is going to be too cramped on it.
- The range with the tiny tank is not good. The bike is basically a bar hopper. It will go 80 miles on a full tank plus maybe another 5 miles on reserve if you're lucky.

The bad is mostly just cosmetic and I wasn't worried about it since this bike is a rider. I'm asking $3,500 firm. I feel this is a fair price considering the kit was $2,500, the bike was $1,200, and I have an additional $1,000 into parts. You're basically getting all of the labor and additional parts to assemble one of these for free. (I know, half the fun) You don't see many for sale and you couldn't put one together plus all of the other mods for the same price. You won't find a cooler head turner for $3,500 and that I can guarantee!

I am not anxious to sell so if I can't get $3,500 for it I'll hang onto it and cruise on the weekends. I'm only selling to free up space for a BMW I'm restoring.

No trades but I am willing to deliver or meet within reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 06:25:37

General CategoryThe Marketplace › 1998 Suzuki Savage / Ryca CS-1

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.