Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments (Read 322 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments
Reply #15 - 02/17/21 at 20:30:40

Just not believing what you see doesn't change reality.

Frozen wind turbines hamper Texas power output, state's electric grid operator says
Brandon Mulder
Austin American-Statesman
Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

The fukking things are frozen up

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #16 - 02/17/21 at 21:00:46

Everybody is aware of the turbine icing, Justin.   You've grabbed ahold of that like it demonstrates something you've asserted about a consiquence of wind power- yet it does not.  That can’t go unrecognized; the web is awash with articles today explaining how and why your understanding is false-

It is a defect to only read as far as needed to confirm prejudice.   As Eegore rightly stated, industry leaders have explained exactly why what you've said isn't true- it’s on each of us  to process that information and revise our understanding.   Today and late yesterday, Governor Greg Abbott has been recognized for accurately reporting power capacity issues to local new outlets in Texas- then going on FOX to tell a completely false story.  

So, while misunderstanding hasn’t been entirely the fault of average Texans, by now we all have had plenty of opportunity to accurately understand what is actually going on- and to recognize lies and partisan propaganda when offered to us.

Related- the connection is obvious:

Iowa is reported to get about 42% of their power from wind; only a subset of that generation in the West is having turbine outages- about 15%.  In that same region, 50% of natural gas production has been nocked out by this weather.   Don't take off your shoes- do yourself a favor and just trust that 15% is significantly less than 50%.   Well,  how cold is it in Iowa, compared to Texas? Yesterday's lowes were -30 in Iowa... and -2 in Texas.

Here’s a brief video summation of that circumstance, with minor differences in details:

https://youtu.be/qLTKHdnoptM

One last bit to be disabused of: wind turbines are not made of recycled coal power plant parts.   When an investor builds a turbine, they don't blow up a methane generator- just like when some meterosexual buys an electric bike, they don't show up at your house and impound your Savage.   Where did you get that idea, anyway?

« Last Edit: 02/18/21 at 06:29:13 by Mavigogun »  

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/17/21 at 21:30:21

"The fukking things are frozen up"

Yeah but why ignore that the NG suppliers are also frozen up and instead fabricate this claim they can't handle the extra load?  Why is the frozen NG supply not part of your assessment?

You are pretending the "reliable" power plants are functioning, but can't handle the load from the frozen turbines.  That's false according even to the source you cite here.

Again cherry picking the information and not providing reference in what I can only imagine are hopes nobody can find that cut and paste and read the whole thing and check the supporting documentation.  Statesman and Real Clear energy post word for word what you reference.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/14/historic-winter-storm-freezes...

https://www.realclearenergy.org/2021/02/17/frozen_wind_turbines_hamper_texas_...

But what about this from the same source:

Fortunately for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages the state's electric grid, the storm's gusty winds are spinning the state's unfrozen coastal turbines at a higher rate than expected, helping to offset some of the power generation losses because of the icy conditions.

Again, there is issue with overuse of "green" energy.

However pretending the alternative traditional power is down because of the reduced "green" energy is pointless.  Why exaggerate when we can look at what's really happening?

What about portions of the grid with zero "green" energy input that also need to roll blackouts?  

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #18 - 02/17/21 at 21:50:56

Quick question for you, Justin- what percentage of idle conventional power production was not brought on line to compensate for the weather related diminished capacity?   Read that again.   Got it?   Some conventional power producers chose to not bring generation on line because they were making more money from the short supply market, with wholesale prices spiking as much as 10,000%.(no typo- TEN THOUSAND PERCENT)   Follow up question: how do idle conventional capacity and lost turbine capacity compare in gigawatts?

Moving on.   34 gigawatts of generation capacity has been forced offline- about 27 gigawatts of that is reported to be coal, nuclear, and gas.   Got that?   About 7 gig of all other sources, including wind and solar.  7 is a smaller number than 27.   Moreover, a significant portion of gas capacity is unavailable because it is being burnt by we customers for heat- cold has driven up demand for natural gas, making less available for power generation. The pipeline system is not able to deliver enough natural gas to supply both higher demand for home heating and power generation.

So, 1) wind and solar only account for a fraction compared to lost conventional capacity, 2) consumers of gas are competing with electricity producers, and 3) some conventional power generation capacity is still sitting idle due to crass market gaming by power companies.   That last bit should really pass you off.   You should also be really pissed off that these same problems manifested in 2011, when wind and solar were only 4% of total capacity- and regulators chose not to impose system upgrades to account for challenging weather back then.

I didn't know most of this last week- I didn't need to.   Question is, Justin,  what do you need to know now?

« Last Edit: 02/18/21 at 05:06:07 by Mavigogun »  

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #19 - 02/17/21 at 23:23:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/17/21 at 14:09:33:
"You GOD darnED lefties are the reason for all of this."

Texas has been controlled by the political Right since long before turbine power generation was commonplace in Texas.   Famously, the Left has very little power in Texas- especially over the power industry.   Turbines are built in Texas because they make money,  dude- yet, here you are, blaming the Left?  That doesn’t really make sense, does it?

« Last Edit: 02/18/21 at 05:15:19 by Mavigogun »  

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #20 - 02/18/21 at 07:41:43

Mavigogun wrote on 02/17/21 at 07:30:53:
...  a grim wake up call for those of us comfortably, complacently reliant on infrastructure inadequate for these time ...

Any thought on what kind of infrastructure will be needed for the, MANDATED, Flood of Electric Cars. ?

Instead of allowing the Citizens to choose to buy them, and bring up the needed infrastructure piece by piece ?

Ah-Yea, that's right.
Forgot about the fact that many people want someone else to pay for what THEY want.
Soon THEY will want someone else to wipe their azz.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/18/21 at 08:09:08

MnSpring has a good point about mandating a consumer change at a rate that can exceed an infrastructure capacity.

We should accept the limitations of "green" energy and be critical of the appropriate methods of implementation.

Lying about how "green" energy is why the power is out in TX, instead of acknowledging that NG also froze is not how we should go about doing things.

Now people will defend the lies with empirical evidence on the contrary and further fuel the voter acceptance of mandated electric alternatives.  If people were honest and discussed the real efficiency losses from "green" energy then maybe people would listen.  

Abbot - "I was asked a question on one TV show about renewable, and I responded to that question. Every source of power that the state of Texas has has been compromised, whether it be renewable power such as wind or solar, but also, as I mentioned today, access to coal-generated power, access to gas-generated power, also have been compromised."

See how much simpler that is.  

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #22 - 02/20/21 at 18:51:45

Eegore wrote on 02/17/21 at 06:33:48:
" ... people do need to prepare for bad weather ..."
"... there a reasonable expectation for people to prepare for this type of event ..."

So should it be, people/Citizens need to take responsibility for their own affairs ?
Or should it be that a government/entity is completely responsible for, and does everything for them ?

Like the flood in Fargo ?
For several hundreds of years, the area along the river was, 'flood plain', and many years it produced a wonderful crop. Some years it flooded.

Now a developer bought the low land, and built/sold houses.
It flooded, and all that impervious area, roads/roofs/hard packed surfaces, caused Many Other areas to flood.

Who's fault is it?
The Developer ?
The City who approved it ?
The Buyer who, BOUGHT, in a Flood Plain ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/21/21 at 00:18:29

"So should it be, people/Citizens need to take responsibility for their own affairs ?
Or should it be that a government/entity is completely responsible for, and does everything for them ?"

Nobody said the Government/Entity should do "everything" for people.

"Who's fault is it?
The Developer ?
The City who approved it ?
The Buyer who, BOUGHT, in a Flood Plain ?"

I don't think flood damage as you describe can be assessed at %100 anyone's fault.  For instance each home sale would need to be evaluated for disclosure from the seller/Realtor, and each home purchaser's research history into the hydrology of the land would need to be examined at a minimum to assess how much fault percentage they should be assigned.

Similar assessments would need to be made for each Developer and their subcontractors.  

For the city a similar evaluation would need to be made regarding the research done, cost, etc.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #24 - 02/21/21 at 07:24:38

Eegore wrote on 02/21/21 at 00:18:29:
"... Nobody said the Government/Entity should do "everything" for people ..."

LOL, 2 members IMPLIED it, many ways.

... each home sale would need to be evaluated for disclosure ...
... each home purchaser's research history...
... assessments would need to be made for each Developer and their subcontractors ...
... city a similar evaluation would need to be made ...

Very typical reason to put great big gobs of money in someone/s pockets,
to come up with the answer that 2 + 2 = 4

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/21/21 at 09:33:33

"... each home sale would need to be evaluated for disclosure ...
... each home purchaser's research history...
... assessments would need to be made for each Developer and their subcontractors ...
... city a similar evaluation would need to be made ...

Very typical reason to put great big gobs of money in someone/s pockets,
to come up with the answer that 2 + 2 = 4"

However you want to see it.  You asked "Who's fault" and when looking at land valuations, hydrology, flood damage, liability, tax structure, purchase history, land development, accuracy of hydrological predictive factors over several centuries, and historical development in the area I think the math is more complex than 2+2.  

I wouldn't do any of the things I mentioned unless one wanted to pin down exactly "who's fault" it is that a house was built, purchased and damaged by a flood in a specific geographical location.  You don't want to look at evidence you just want to blame and try to find reasons that support that opinion.

Again it's easy to claim people want "handouts" but it isn't in my opinion, political leadership's responsibility to tell people they should have done better when their families are dying.  Tell them that later, after lives are saved, and assist in the future provisions by means of reasonable, elected, tax finance.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 02/21/21 at 09:45:13

I'm a Californian, been here all my life except for occasional visits to the lands where molasses doesn't flow in the winter time.

If I moved to MN, would the welcome wagon present me with a book on how to prepare for each season?

It's been said that the weathermen have been warning Texans for the past 3 weeks that the sky was about to fall on them.  Were similar prep tips given?

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #27 - 02/21/21 at 17:15:32

... If I moved to MN, would the welcome wagon present me with a book on how to prepare for each season? ...

Could be ?  Their Are Books !
The point IS if you asked, anybody, you would get information on how to prepare for various happenings.

And even not asking, you would receive info on how/what to keep in you car for possibilities when traveling in cold weather for 5 (+/-) months.

In TX, how many people asked ?
I believe the ones complaining, and asking for a handout, are there ones that believe 'government' is to do everything for them.

While the majority, simply dealt with the hardships.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 02/21/21 at 21:22:09

I feel terrible for not building enclosures for the generator

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #29 - 02/22/21 at 07:46:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/21/21 at 21:22:09:
I feel terrible for not building enclosures for the generator

You have a Generator ?????????

OMG, what a EVIL, (And most likely a RACIST), Capitalist !!!

Next thing is,
you will probably cary some gasoline when you are driving your S-40 more than a 100 miles to the next gas station.

In the words of Greta:
“How DARE You’

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 06:09:58

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.