Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments (Read 322 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments
02/17/21 at 06:33:48

Technically I'd say he is correct, people do need to prepare for bad weather.

However there are a few issues when in a leadership position.  First is there a reasonable expectation for people to prepare for this type of event.  In CO sure, snow and power outage is something you prepare for, but we typically won't prepare for hurricanes.

A counter argument is one should prepare for no power.  But again, no power in one area may mean heat stroke, and in another it means freezing to death.

One should have plenty of water and food on hand.  Coming from someone who has done that I can tell you when I had a no-bedroom apartment water and food took up most of the room.  I imagine I had maybe a months worth for one person.  Does everyone have the logistical space, and money, to fortify in place?

Another issue, to me, is if the local Government has attempted to prepare and provide citizens with the education and resources necessary.  We don't live in a time of each household being self-sufficient anymore.  We don't pave our own roads, wire our own grid, filter our own sewage etc.  

As for the PR, I think the comments are appropriate for the average citizen, but not for an elected official.  There is a middle ground, I just don't think ti was reached here.

https://www.insider.com/texas-storm-mayor-resigns-said-peoples-fault-if-they-...

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Re: Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments
Reply #1 - 02/17/21 at 07:30:53

Texas has a long history of energy market manipulation, divestment from infrastructure, designed isolation, and policies that have rendered elevated poverty endemic and senior populations vulnerable to eviction.

Without doubt, this has been a grim wake up call for those of us comfortably, complacently reliant on infrastructure inadequate for these times.   Unfortunately, Texas has been receiving these wake up calls regularly for years- from flooding, to industrial disasters, to an epidemic of child poverty -power grid failure is just the latest.

Of course, many, many people don’t live in circumstances where independent home heating is possible- be it maintaining a personal generator, or fire place.   The vast majority of legacy housing suffers from poor insulation, little to no weather sealing, and single paned windows.   In a State where so many have shifted from home owners to renters, and with no actionable incentives in place for renovation, the working poor are saddled with high energy costs stemming from an isolated market and structures not theirs to invest in- if they had the money.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #2 - 02/17/21 at 07:41:18

Something to consider:  significant power generators in the State did not bring full capacity on-line as parts of the system broke under load and arctic weather- rather, enjoying a 10,100% increase in wholesale prices, they chose to leave capacity idle in order to keep prices elevated and capture outrageous profits.   In Texas, the lack of regulation that made this possible is sold as “freedom”.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/17/21 at 09:14:18

Thank God we at least had sense enough to be P.C.and close dependable energy plants and replace them with idiotic things like windmills and solar panels.
Without that idiotic fukkup, power would be dependable

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockn

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/17/21 at 09:35:10

Ah I see you've had your morning conservative Kool aid Justin.

Renewable energy accounts for 22% of the energy generated in Texas. This is an easily verifiable fact, but please continue on with the ignorance.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/17/21 at 10:10:47

JoG has a point however the "dependable energy plants" also did not perform.

So if I put solar on my property that won't provide enough energy I expect the power-plant to provide the missing energy.  In this case the power plant didn't provide energy either.  

If it were a shortage because there aren't enough power plants I could see validity in the argument, but in this particular case its simply not true.

It's like saying someone should have gotten a ride from my reliable gas-powered vehicle that also didn't start that day.  

As for this topic, this mayor isn't blaming renewable energy, he is blaming people for not being ready.  This has some merit but don't expect people to do things that are unavailable to them for events that are not typically expected.  If a Mayor in CO said I should have prepared for a volcano by landscaping and heat-shielding my property I would be highly suspect of his/her ability to lead.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #6 - 02/17/21 at 10:40:50

Rockn wrote on 02/17/21 at 09:35:10:
Ah I see you've had your morning conservative Kool aid Justin.

Sadly, power to his intellect has been disconnected from service long enough for permanent damage to occur; integrity starved, now capable of little more than regurgitating memes and labeling a world that doesn’t conform to his prejudice as manifest “lies” and “deep-state” conspiracies.

So, Justin disgorges junk like this-

Without that idiotic fukkup, power would be dependable

-ignorant of actual circumstance and absent any capacity to recognize his own deficiency.   Attempts to educate him about the record reliably fail, met with protest and excuses for why he is invulnerable to learning.   This is the dead weight we are saddled with when attempting to confront our challenges.

Maybe Justin shouldn’t be blamed for his complete lack of discernment- we don’t castigate short people for not being able to reach the top shelf.   Sure, there are tools at hand to enable him to climb higher, and taller folks have been kind enough to hand down what he can’t reach-

-but at what point does he become responsible for himself?   Sure, the bad-actors that recognize him as an easy mark are culpable for the garbage they feed him, but maybe the Mayor had it right when he wrote “because your (sic) lazy is direct result of your raising”, and “sink of (sic) swim it's your choice!”

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/17/21 at 12:00:55

JoG is not completely closed minded by my assessment.  While we may argue about topics, a lot of it has to do with our communication types, so I am %50 of any communication issue I have with JoG.  Or anyone for that matter.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #8 - 02/17/21 at 12:50:27

Eegore wrote on 02/17/21 at 12:00:55:
While we may argue about topics...

It ain’t exactly “argument” when reason is freely dispensed with- that requires a minimal level of honest engagement.   There can’t even be genuine disagreement when reality is absent.

“The traffic light turned red before the vehic-“

“The light is a deep-state tool.”

“Witnesses report seeing the motorcycle enter the intersection 4 seconds aft-“

“Fake news!”

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/17/21 at 14:09:33

When the weather shuts down a significant portion of the wind and solar system
And people die
But you don't even consider that
Then you think I'm some idiot
Well
That is on you.
What happens when you have eliminated a significant percentage of the
What USED to be
Dependable energy generating systems
And suddenly the Green systems have gone dead?
You actually believe those remaining coal and gas powered plants can just suddenly cover the DEMAND??
How MUTHERFUKKIN STUPID are you?
If That were possible
WHYTHEFUKK were those Now Closed generating plants ever there?

You GOD darnED lefties are the reason for all of this.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/17/21 at 17:26:06

"What happens when you have eliminated a significant percentage of the
What USED to be
Dependable energy generating systems"

The problem with your argument is those systems couldn't perform at all, not because they couldn't carry the additional load missing from "green" energy.  They simply could not function due to load changes and temperature based infrastructure deficiencies.  This is according to ERCOT, but I am sure TX politicians know more about the power grid than the people that run it.

It's like saying all these idiots in electric cars is why you have to carry so many people in your reliable gasoline truck, except your truck didn't start because the starter froze.  It wouldn't matter how many people you had to carry.

"And suddenly the Green systems have gone dead?"

No, but its easier to blame them if we fabricate that statistic out of thin air.  They are operating at lower capacity, just like the "reliable" power plants.  The frozen NG equipment do not rely on wind to operate that machinery, they rely on temperatures above what they are now.  If it were a universally connected grid I might be on board with this, but sections failing that have zero "green" energy input have who to blame exactly?

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 02/17/21 at 17:48:48

We've watched the elimination of power supply facilities BECAUSE they were deemed Eeevil and replaced by
Facilities that simply aren't dependable.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/17/21 at 18:17:03

"We've watched the elimination of power supply facilities BECAUSE they were deemed Eeevil and replaced by
Facilities that simply aren't dependable."

Yeah and they power supply facilities in areas with zero "green" energy that are not operating and not part of the universal grid can blame "green" energy, that doesn't exist there.

My gasoline truck won't start because my starter is frozen, it is the electric car's fault.

That's a lot different than saying your truck can't keep up with all the loads it has to carry because none of the electric cars are running.

In this case the truck won't start, and the gasoline pump is frozen.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #13 - 02/17/21 at 18:17:54

I rest my case- can’t distinguish between the story in his head and the real world... because he doesn’t dwell in/care for the real world.   Even when Eegore tries to explain it real simple-like.   *sigh* It would be so EASY to actually do a tiny bit of research- but no, why would Justin do that?   He already KNOWS.

You can’t fix what wants to be broken.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/17/21 at 19:49:46

Obviously ERCOT doesn't know how their own equipment works.  Politicians say the windmills are down and they know more about the power grid than anyone that works in the energy department.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:19:48

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Texas Mayor resigns over weather comments

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.