Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test (Read 1031 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test
Reply #45 - 02/12/21 at 02:24:24

You are right Gary, 230 psi is kinda high.  The first one I built (using the stock cast piston) pumped 245 psi.  I was always nervous about that one.  I actually set that one up with .060" quench in an effort to keep the cranking pressure down.  This forged piston, with a dish to reduce compression ratio, allows bringing the quench down to .040".  That's the target number.  Detonation does not seem to be a problem.  The tighter quench is actually supposed to reduce the potential for detonation.  So far, it seems to be doing that.  It's a very crisp running engine.

Dave, I will never find the power and performance I am looking for.  My LS650 is a laboratory on two wheels.  The only reason I have it is to experiment and share.  If I ever run out of things to tinker with, it will be time to get rid of it.  Regarding a flat-top 97mm with tight quench, you read my mind.  I have to come up with a stronger clutch first.

Ohio, I usually don't care too much about fuel mileage, so I don't have much data on the stock engine.  I can say that the few times I checked mileage on the stock setup it was in the 50s.  I started looking at it a little closer when I was working on the muffler comparison.  I knew one of the benefits of a free flowing exhaust is supposed to be increased fuel economy.  Same goes for high compression.  So, I was compelled to check it.  It was such a dramatic improvement I had to keep digging into it.

Armen, it was my pleasure.  Are you moved in yet?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Te
Reply #46 - 03/15/21 at 08:33:55

New order of flat top pistons is due about the end of the month, 6 94's and 4 97's this time.
Taking preorders now if anyone is interested.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #47 - 03/15/21 at 19:34:59

Ooooooh
I have a 97mm barrel that I bought from Dave. I think he had it Nikasil coated.
If your 97mm piston and this cylinder can be friends, I'm in!
thanks

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #48 - 03/16/21 at 04:29:08

Armen wrote on 03/15/21 at 19:34:59:
Ooooooh
I have a 97mm barrel that I bought from Dave. I think he had it Nikasil coated.
If your 97mm piston and this cylinder can be friends, I'm in!
thanks

Only getting 4 of the 97’s so process payment to hold one for you.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #49 - 03/16/21 at 06:08:53

Sending today.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 04/26/21 at 19:10:19

I had logged 2250 trouble-free miles on the Wiseco Flat-top and it was time to start my next project.  I figured I would update this post to let you all know how the new Wiseco is holding up.

The piston has performed admirably.

Power is outstanding.  I’ve managed to squeeze a bit more steam out of it with a PWK40 carburetor.  It’s killer fast, everywhere.

Fuel mileage continues to run in the low 70 mpg range.  I almost never get less than 70 mpg (it’s usually around 72 to 73 mpg).

The subtle piston rattle has remained about the same.  Doesn’t bother me in the least.  On 92 octane pump gas, there have been no audible detonation issues.

The engine operating temps are still well below what I observed with the 94mm pop-top and the 97mm pop-top.  The temps are also well below what I have observed with a completely stock 8.5:1 compression LS650.  This flat-top piston is much more efficient.  It’s converting more thermal energy to work instead of rejecting the heat through the cylinder & head.  The flat-top engine runs a good 20°F cooler on surface streets and about 40°F cooler on the freeway.

A quick compression check prior to teardown showed the Flat-Top is pumpin a solid 235 psi.  Things are still fresh as a daisy under the hood.

Let’s have a look at the inside of the engine.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 04/26/21 at 19:11:42

The handy-dandy cylinder stud remover made disassembly a breeze.  I’m lovin this tool.  Don’t even have to remove the battery.  R&R cylinder head and cylinder in no time flat.  Projects galore with this little jewel.

Stud_Puller_in_Action_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 04/26/21 at 19:12:25

The combustion chamber looked primo.  Very little carbon accumulation and absolutely no evidence of contact between the piston and head (that’s with many trips past 7500 rpm).  No tell-tale signs of detonation.

Combustion_Chamber_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #53 - 04/26/21 at 19:13:14

The top of the piston also had very little carbon accumulation.  It looked great.  Again, no signs of contact or detonation.

Pisto_Top_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 04/26/21 at 19:14:05

With the cylinder removed, you can see that the noise really isn’t an issue.  The piston looked brand new.  The rattle is just amplified by the cooling fins on the cylinder.  There’s no indication of any sort of distress.  Sweet!

Piston_Skirt_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 04/26/21 at 19:16:35

I think the Wiseco Flat-Top piston is a complete success.  It looks like it’s a great modification that will improve performance and efficiency.  It also looks like it will provide reliable service.

Now its time to move forward with the next project.  How’s a completely stock LS650 sound?  We’re talkin 55 to 85 mph in 22.43 seconds.  Seriously?  You bet.
 Wink

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #56 - 04/26/21 at 20:01:12

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/26/21 at 19:16:35:
Now its time to move forward with the next project.  How’s a completely stock LS650 sound?  We’re talkin 55 to 85 mph in 22.43 seconds.  Seriously?  You bet.
 Wink
----------------

That's 7 seconds to get to 80 and 15.43 to get from 80 to 85 mph.   Smiley

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 06/07/22 at 01:29:34

My Evolution of a HotRod project hit a snag.  The transmission failed.  The engine had evolved into a 694cc fire breathing beast.  It had the new 97mm Wiseco Flat-Top piston and it was running good.  Too good.  Fifth gear failed.  The teeth gave up (severe pitting) and spread debris throughout the crankcase.

I was lookin at a lot of work.  The crank needed to be straightened, all the bearings were suspect, the cylinder was toast, and a beefed-up transmission was in order.

I wanted to keep my test program going.  My to-do list had some things that looked interesting, and lots of things needed a long-term test to prove they would last.

-DR650 cam durability

-Cagiva valve adjuster durability

-Shortened valve guide durability

-Epoxied intake port life expectancy

-Improved breather system with Hayden KrankVent

-High-flow muffler with larger 1.75” baffle

-Knock-off PWK carb durability and stability

-Wiseco flat-top piston durabilty

-Floating cam chain tensioner wear trend & durability

-Ignition timing optimization

-13 plate clutch durability

-Sneezy clutch release cam durability

Since the big engine would be down for a while, I needed a replacement.  Time to put the 2nd string in.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #58 - 06/07/22 at 01:30:57

It looked like a good opportunity to log a bunch more miles on the 94mm Wiseco Flat-Top piston.  To keep things moving forward, I assembled my spare engine.

I did a good visual inspection of the spare engine’s accessible transmission gears.  There was no visible pitting or distress.  Runout on the ends of the crankshaft was under .002” TIR.   Bearing free play was tighter than the bearings in the failed engine.  It looked like I was starting out with a decent lower end.  I intend to keep a close eye on it.  That magnetic drain plug will be scrutinized at every oil change.  No more runnin the guts out of it with chunks of gear teeth circulating in the oil.

The 94mm cylinder was in perfect condition.  I washed up the cylinder and piston assembly and installed them on the spare crankcase.  Didn’t even change the rings.  They only had 2250 miles on them (almost new).  Re-using piston rings is not something I typically do, but it didn’t seem egregious.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #59 - 06/07/22 at 01:32:13

The Web 340b cam had to go.  It was pitted.  I had used the 340b in my original Tight Quench Engine, the Wiseco 94mm Pop-Top engine, and the first iteration of this Wiseco 94mm Flat-Top engine.  The 340b only 7272 miles on it.  What a shame.  Not sure what caused the pitting.  Poor weld, heavy springs, debris, who knows?

Web_340b_7272_Miles_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 10:25:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.