mirrors (Read 166 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
mirrors
02/09/21 at 16:15:59

I put a longer handle-bar on the Guzzi today.   New one is aluminum and weighs only about 1/2 of what the factory one did even though its 2" taller and 2" longer.    

I'm thinking of putting different mirrors on.    Has anybody tried to use the bar-end-mirrors ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: mirrors
Reply #1 - 02/09/21 at 18:52:28

you know... lower the weight, the faster the vibrations.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 02/09/21 at 19:30:57

If it does vibrate ... I could put those steel end-caps back on , but I hope it don't.   Huh

So how did the mirrors work out on the ends of the handlebars ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/10/21 at 09:24:59

I have bar end mirrors, and I like the current ones.

The first ones I had were way too small, and I had a hard time seeing anything out of them.

These are the ones I have now.  They don't provide as big of a viewing area as the stock mirrors - but it is a reasonable amount.  These are out of stock from the seller I got them - but if you search eBay you can likely find someone else with them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-Motorcycle-Rear-View-Handle-Bar-End-Rearview-S...

Both of my BMW bikes have massive bar end weights - nearly a pound on each end of the handlebars.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/10/21 at 16:35:07

I got thinking about my bar end mirrors after that last post.

I have them on my Cafe' bike, as they are a part of the "look" for that style of bike.

After mounting them, I discovered a few things about them.

1)  When you first mount them -  for a while you will wack them with your hands as you park and get off the bike.  And when you wack them you will knock them out of adjustment....eventually you get used to them being at the end of the handlebars and you tend to wack them out of adjustment less frequently.
2)  The bar end mirrors are much lower than the factory mirrors, and you must drop your line of vision down to use them.....and you lose sight of the road while using the mirrors.  It is not as bad as the speedometer in the top of the fuel tank - but it does require you to look away from the road.
3)  The bar end mirrors provide a very nice view of your forearms.  Standard mirrors are higher and tend to look over your arms, the bar end mirrors have a lot of arm in the view!

I believe the standard mirrors provide a far better field of vision, and therefore are likely safer.  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 02/10/21 at 16:42:41

So , I was able to take "Lucky" the Guzzi out for  a nice ride today.

It's almost amazing how much difference a different pair of handlebars makes.    The new ones are just short of 32 inches wide and the amount of control is very good !    Smiley    
The stock bars were only 28" and also 2" less rise , The set-back angle is about the same on both .    

Night and day difference in rideability .

And the clutch is working nice and smooth now too !   Cool

At one point not so long ago : I had the thought of replacing Lucky with Kate .
The package is so sweet now , I've even had a thought of selling Kate !   Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/10/21 at 18:29:42 by MMRanch »  

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/12/21 at 09:22:40

If I was seriously fighting vibrations I would just maybe try tension ing a cable inside.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 02/12/21 at 10:07:48

seriously fighting vibrations  

Maybe I should have made mention of this earlier.

Luck (the GUZZI) , only vibrates when the motor is going too slow.

Yea , the red-line is only 6500 but it will readily run up to 7000 where power gain drops off to zero gain.

We all know how the S-40 acts below 1500-RPM , well the Guzzi V twin is very similar .   At low RPM is when Luck vibrates , above 2000 rpm all the way to the max is where the Guzzi's shine the best and run smooth.

Where I was going with this is about : How much better the wide handlebars are for controlling any bike.

Has anybody ever tried to use narrow handlebars on a dirt bike ?

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/12/21 at 10:59:19

The advantage of longer bars would seem obvious.
However, without a government funded study I can't allow myself to actually have an opinion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 02/12/21 at 14:12:44

Wow ! JOG

I had no idea you were so Scholarly , well said !

It seems most of the studies have been done down at the local bike shop in the dual-sport department .    Apparently there are no narrow or pull-back bars to be found on that entire side of the place.  Huh

I'll have admit that Kate the "W" has wide bars and gave me the idea to get Luck some of them too.

So what Dave said about the factory mirrors being best :  What does the government study say about that ?      Undecided

I've ordered a pair of bar-end mirrors , but maybe I should order a pair of aluminum  bar-end plugs to install instead ?   I don't feel the need to put those solid steel 1 pound end-caps back on it.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 02/12/21 at 15:13:34 by MMRanch »  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/13/21 at 12:26:58

MM:

Are the handlebars you are working on 7/8"....or 1"?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 02/13/21 at 15:27:29

I like everything about bar end mirrors except how I keep dragging them in the twisties.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/13/21 at 15:49:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/13/21 at 15:27:29:
I like everything about bar end mirrors except how I keep dragging them in the twisties.

JOG:  Are you currently residing at "Fantasy Island"? Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 02/13/21 at 19:00:46

Just practicing my bullshitting. Spring isn't that far off and I intend to spend plenty of time fishing. A fellow needs to be able to conjure up tall tales at a moments notice.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 02/13/21 at 20:28:50

7/8 , but I already ordered a pair of them ,....  Embarrassed I hope I don't have the same problem as JOG ... maybe I should go ahead and get an extra pair to use after our first Suches Ga. ride in 2021 ?   Undecided

Maybe Stew woin't lead so fast this year ?  ???

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 00:38:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › mirrors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.